Applied new thermal and CPU is overheating

ijohno

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Hello everyone, new here and thought I ask a question.

I just applied a new thermal paste or my laptop processor/ gpu/ cpu. Arctic Silver 5 + ArcticClean, a 2 Process cleaning solution that came with it.

After I cleaned, and applied new thermal my GPU temp went down from 55C or 45-49C during peak usage. However, my CPU is still overheating, sometimes I am just sitting here and it gets so hot it turns off.

I live in a extremely hot area, but I have a cooling pad under the laptop that I bought for 50bucks, it does wonders. & Also have a fan blowing air into the air vent where it sucks in air. This doesn't seem to help that much since it still overheats.

Anything I can do to cool down the CPU?

I've checked out all power options and they seem to adjust only the GPU temp.

^ This

I would also check your heatsink to see if there's any dust build up... I remember taking apart a friends laptop earlier this year and my goodness....HOLY MOTHER OF DUST BUNNIES is all I can say to describe :lol:

Temps went down by around 10-15C afterwards on her i3 :)

FarvingStartist

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Two things I can think of since you've done everything that can be reasonably expected:

Confirm that the internal cooling fan is really spinning all the time that it needs to be. A failing fan may stop/start/stop on its own.

Check the BIOS for the thermal shutdown temperature. Confirm that your setting matches the recommended for your model of laptop.

Hope you get it solved.

^ Another plausible factor giving OP headaches.

However, I would really like OP to give a look at his heatsink. More than likely, that is the issue as he said he experienced overheating problems even before replacing the thermal compound.

ijohno

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
So! I went about and REPLIED the thermal paste

This time!

I cleaned everything again with the ArcticCleaner, both surfaces and sprayed everything with dustoff... making sure no bunnies.

Just put back my laptop and BOOM, the temperature for all dropped by 5-7 DEGREES! :D

So I am guessing it could had been bunnies!

Now I am at 50C and less for all.

Thanks guys for the responses!