Sign in with
Your question

$600 gaming pc

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2012 7:06:35 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next 1-2weeks

Budget Range: A fairly strict $600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers. OS?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Intel

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 for now

Additional Comments: First time building my own pc. Basically my old Dell died and looking for a budget gaming rig with decent upgrading ability in the future. Planning on using the preview of W8 as the OS for the time being to save some $$ and changing that along with a 1080p monitor, more ram, and maybe an i5-2550k towards the end of the year once I have more money.

motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $125
cpu: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core $125
case: Broadway Com Corp A3728-Red ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $33
psu: Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 $70
gpu: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 $135 after rebate
hd: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $65
ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) $30
optical: G DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS90 - OEM $18

Look like a decent build? my main questions are does everything look compatible and
1. any problem with using W8 preview as a temporary OS?
2. is that psu sufficent? overkill?
3. Western Digital a decent HD? not looking for a ton of space just something cheap and fairly reliable
4. is that mobo a good one? any better ones that cost the same or less?
5. figure the case is the best place to go cheap but will everything fit fine in it?

thanks

More about : 600 gaming

June 7, 2012 8:31:27 AM

I'd change the mobo or the cpu, getting a Z77 board with a locked CPU is kinda waste of money, you can push the CPU a bit but not much.

If you are not planning to OC it would be better to get an H77 board save a few bucks.

Or getting an i5 2500k and keeping that mobo
Related resources
June 7, 2012 8:50:22 AM

The reason I'd planned on going with that mobo is it seems fairly future proof(well as much as any tech item can be). The i3-2120 is more or less just to give me decent performance for 6-8 months till I'm not as cash strapped and can replace it with a i5-2550k or maybe one of the i5 ivybridge ones and at that point doing some OCing
June 7, 2012 8:53:54 AM

go for AMD as you are strictly thinking about Gaming......it has the performance double to intel.....
and ATI card for graphics..... nothing can beat the ATI cards.....not even Nvidea...
though its just a suggestion dude.....just go through again.......
you may take intel but never try saphire card......it sucks
you can reach me at rajaputranaren@gmail.com
June 7, 2012 9:09:04 AM

Honestly, your build looks fine.

You've got a decent CPU for now and a good mobo and PSU for upgrades later.

If you can stretch your budget a little bit get:

-2 x4GB DDR3 1600
-Better case (and in stock) something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...|11-146-075^11-146-075-TS%2C11-146-077^11-146-077-TS which has some space behind the mobo tray for cable management.
-and an upgrade of the HDD maybe http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for $80 with the promo code that ends today June 7
June 7, 2012 9:15:05 AM

i will say, instead of a processing hog (i5 overclocked) just focus on best balanced one time investment.
like h61 + i3-2120 + hd7850/560ti + 2x4GB 1600mhz cl7/9 ram + 450w with at least 30-35A on 12v + a 64GB ssd (if possible for os drive)
June 7, 2012 9:43:47 AM

I'm generally not a huge AMD fan so I'm a bit biased but I've heard the i3-2120 actually does better for gaming than the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition at stock while the 965 is better for multi-tasking. Would OCing the 965 make it better than the i3 or just a break even kinda deal? Also with an AMD mobo is the upgrade path comparable to an Intel board or is it more of a dead end?
June 7, 2012 9:48:23 AM

rajaputranaren said:
go for AMD as you are strictly thinking about Gaming......it has the performance double to intel.....
and ATI card for graphics..... nothing can beat the ATI cards.....not even Nvidea...
:o  Wow really bad horrible advice amd double performance of intel :pt1cable:  better think again your totally wrong FX 8150 gets walked over, trampled, and bulldozed into it's grave compared to the rest of those options. http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-c... Nothing like the most power hungry processor being one of the slowest tested either lol o.k. that was a bit mean and not necessary but it's the truth i apologize though if it offended anyone but seriously intel cpu out preform amd cpu also as far as gpu go again wrong just clearly misinformed and have no idea what your talking about we are trying to help the OP not give horrible advice :(  to be fair though in GPU it goes back and forth both have great GPU and amd is nowhere near on intel level it's not even better than i3 in gaming proof http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w... and don't get it twisted i am no AMD hater i like amd and intel both ;) 
June 7, 2012 10:59:43 AM

rajaputranaren said:

Are you delusional? Intel destroys amd. Nvidia makes the fastest gpu right now. Sapphire is one of the best brands of ati cards. Literally nothing you said is true lol
June 7, 2012 12:12:55 PM

XRTRazor said:
I'm generally not a huge AMD fan so I'm a bit biased but I've heard the i3-2120 actually does better for gaming than the AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition at stock while the 965 is better for multi-tasking. Would OCing the 965 make it better than the i3 or just a break even kinda deal? Also with an AMD mobo is the upgrade path comparable to an Intel board or is it more of a dead end?
i3 is better in gaming proof http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w... AMD Phenom II X4 965 cpu is fine for gaming as well but i would go with the i3-2120 you had mentioned you plan on upgrading your cpu later to i5 or ivybridge well if you go with a AMD Phenom II X4 965 cpu you need to not only upgrade your cpu but your mobo as well so take that into account i am not telling you you should dismiss AMD i am simply providing you proof i3-2120 out preforms it in gaming so you can fairly decide what is in your best interest after all this is your rig and build ;) 
June 7, 2012 1:22:38 PM

bigcyco1 said:
i3 is better in gaming proof http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=w... AMD Phenom II X4 965 cpu is fine for gaming as well but i would go with the i3-2120 you had mentioned you plan on upgrading your cpu later to i5 or ivybridge well if you go with a AMD Phenom II X4 965 cpu you need to not only upgrade your cpu but your mobo as well so take that into account i am not telling you you should dismiss AMD i am simply providing you proof i3-2120 out preforms it in gaming so you can fairly decide what is in your best interest after all this is your rig and build ;) 
Yea that was my source aswell. Now I'm really torn between the i3 and PII 965BE since while I have little doubt i3 is better for games with limited multicore support wondering if the PII 965BE wouldn't be a better choice for games that actually use quadcores like BF3,guild wars 2 etc. A bit concerned about the update path of an AMD and mobo choices seem somewhat limited tho. Also that link is for the single player which is supposedly much easier on a cpu than multiplayer.
June 8, 2012 4:42:53 AM

XRTRazor said:
Thinking I'm just gonna with the original build except I'll splurge on the I5-2500k, go with this cheaper mobo ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 and either NZXT GAMMA Classic Series GAMA-001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower or NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black “Aluminum Brush / Plastic” ATX Mid Tower for a case
I think that's a pretty good idea you can always upgrade your motherboard later as for case i never used either of those or seen any reviews on them so i don't know if there any good or not there 5 star rated though so can't be to bad ;) 
June 8, 2012 6:21:31 AM

XRTRazor said:
Yea that was my source aswell. Now I'm really torn between the i3 and PII 965BE since while I have little doubt i3 is better for games with limited multicore support wondering if the PII 965BE wouldn't be a better choice for games that actually use quadcores like BF3,guild wars 2 etc. A bit concerned about the update path of an AMD and mobo choices seem somewhat limited tho. Also that link is for the single player which is supposedly much easier on a cpu than multiplayer.
AMD doesn't have much of a upgrade path there fastest cpu barley can keep up with a i5 and i am pretty sure it cost more but i might be wrong about it's price imo for cpu intel is the way to go but the PII 965BE is good enough for gaming and it might be better than i3 In games like BF3.
!