Sign in with
Your question

CPU always running at 100%?

Last response: in CPUs
October 5, 2012 4:25:22 AM

I just installed a new AMD II X4 Phenom 965BE and all I changed was the CPU Voltage to 1.25 and the clock to 3.6Ghz. My temps are fine, but in CPU-Z it shows that the CPU is always running at 3.6Ghz. Is this a good thing or a bad thing that it is always running at its top speed? Should I just keep it like that if everything is stable and working, or is it safe and better for me to make it manually change the Ghz whenever needed automatically?

Thanks!

More about : cpu running 100

October 5, 2012 4:28:48 AM

bingaloman said:
I just installed a new AMD II X4 Phenom 965BE and all I changed was the CPU Voltage to 1.25 and the clock to 3.6Ghz. My temps are fine, but in CPU-Z it shows that the CPU is always running at 3.6Ghz. Is this a good thing or a bad thing that it is always running at its top speed? Should I just keep it like that if everything is stable and working, or is it safe and better for me to make it manually change the Ghz whenever needed automatically?

Thanks!

See if in the bios if there is any power saving features and trun them on. You go to task manager and to the performance tab and see there if the Processor is running at which level of percentile.
m
l
October 5, 2012 4:34:17 AM

Yes but, I am wondering, is it safe to just run it at 100% all the time? If it is safe then I will just keep it at 3.6 all the time.
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2012 5:05:47 AM

bingaloman said:
Yes but, I am wondering, is it safe to just run it at 100% all the time? If it is safe then I will just keep it at 3.6 all the time.

Was it 100% in the task manager?
m
l
October 5, 2012 5:32:56 AM

ProVisionOman said:
Was it 100% in the task manager?

I meant like in CPU-Z it shows that the CPU is always at 3.6Ghz
m
l
October 5, 2012 5:35:21 AM

Yeah ofcourse thats fine. But please check in task manager for safety.
m
l
October 5, 2012 5:40:11 AM

ProVisionOman said:
Yeah ofcourse thats fine. But please check in task manager for safety.

In task manager its under CPU usage right?

If thats what you meant then it says like 1% when im just doing nothing
m
l
October 5, 2012 5:45:01 AM

bingaloman said:
In task manager its under CPU usage right?

If thats what you meant then it says like 1% when im just doing nothing

Yes. They only downside for the CPU to be running at 3.6ghz all the time is 1: Power Consumption 2: Heat 3: Will reduce the lifetime (Dont worry your CPU will be MORE than obsolete by then lol)
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 6:12:09 AM

Well, if you can dissipate the heat well, it shouldn't hurt it recognizably much. 3.6 doesn't seem like an especially hard OC.
You could try checking it with a benchmark or some sort of application that works your computer harder. See if the temps get worth worrying about.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 6:18:42 AM

Do me a favor. press the windows key. then type 'Task Manager'

Then open up 'view processes with task manager'

Then go to Processes> filter the CPU column so that it shows the item using the highest amount of CPU and I will start helping from there!
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 6:22:20 AM

bingaloman said:

Thanks!

I did some overclocking on my phenom II rig before i went Intel and I had my Phenom II 980 clocked at 4Ghz and in the system monitor widget it always said 4ghz. Why? because it doesn't show you the idle clock speeds or the changing clock speeds. Do you have CPU-Z? if you do what is the frequency running at? or does it go up to 3.6 and then back down to low freq and back. If it does that then your fine.
m
l
!