Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Best processor under....

Last response: in CPUs
October 5, 2012 4:26:21 AM

Hellow.
I wish to build a new computer. NOT for myself but for a relative. She will be only surfing the mighty interwebs and watching some YouTube and office and so on and so forth. SHE WILL NOT BE GAMING. Neither video editing. Just those uptop. Which CPU should she get? (The cheaper the better PLEASE)

More about : processor

a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 4:45:02 AM

Much depends on what motherboard you're planning, an Asus M2N or M3N will give you access to plenty cheap AMD dual cores, but you'll probably have to buy on Ebay...
Score
October 5, 2012 4:47:24 AM

I prefer something more reliable because I have NEVER bought online ANYTHING. Not even a song. Yeah... And I live outside the US. I use Newegg as choice picking then Amazon for prices LOL.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 175 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 4:52:15 AM

well good cpu with good enough gpu to so nice picture smoothly an amd Apu trinity or llano. for basic use a A8 trinity will work or llano A6 at least a quad core, i know its basic use but a dual core will be out dated soon. The trinity A6s are dual cores and so the llano and trinity A4s, where the A8s and A10s are all quad cores, and so is a llano A6, difference is the generation the llanos are FM1 and trinity FM2. cheapest motherboard ranges from $50-60 and if a quad core apu it'll go from $75-130 matters on choice, 4gb of ram $20, case+psu in one $50 total parts wise no hdd, windows,keyboard,mouse,monitor lowest about $195 with llano A6 and $50 motherboard, highend which means an A10 and $60 motherboard about $260. Ram prices can be lower and prob a case+psu combo, im just rough estimating from what i've seen on newegg.
October 5, 2012 5:01:44 AM

lazyboy947 said:
well good cpu with good enough gpu to so nice picture smoothly an amd Apu trinity or llano. for basic use a A8 trinity will work or llano A6 at least a quad core, i know its basic use but a dual core will be out dated soon. The trinity A6s are dual cores and so the llano and trinity A4s, where the A8s and A10s are all quad cores, and so is a llano A6, difference is the generation the llanos are FM1 and trinity FM2. cheapest motherboard ranges from $50-60 and if a quad core apu it'll go from $75-130 matters on choice, 4gb of ram $20, case+psu in one $50 total parts wise no hdd, windows,keyboard,mouse,monitor lowest about $195 with llano A6 and $50 motherboard, highend which means an A10 and $60 motherboard about $260. Ram prices can be lower and prob a case+psu combo, im just rough estimating from what i've seen on newegg.

Yeah I know all this stuff. But All iGPUs can watch YouTube can they? :p  Thanks anyways! And yes.. Preferably Gigabyte because of local shop.
Score
a c 175 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:03:03 AM

yes but as i said with getting a quad core, its future proof and the apu igpu and quad core if it doesnt die should last just on basic use for a while. The intel i3 igpu would be suciffcient as well but costs more but my motherboard form 2009 with its built in graphics can do the same, but even an am3 dual core/tri/quad will still range $60+
Score
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:06:58 AM

Yeah if it's just youtube, the lowest end trinity would probably work. That's only a bit less then $60, although honestly I can't seem to find trinity parts other than the higher end ones. :|

Although a little step up couldn't hurt either. $72 dollar trinity? All of those are cheaper than Intel alternatives.

But the cheapest would be llano. Although the lowest cheapest end llano would be a lot slower.
Score
October 5, 2012 5:07:21 AM

lazyboy947 said:
yes but as i said with getting a quad core, its future proof and the apu igpu and quad core if it doesnt die should last just on basic use for a while. The intel i3 igpu would be suciffcient as well but costs more but my motherboard form 2009 with its built in graphics can do the same, but even an am3 dual core/tri/quad will still range $60+

Thanks.. Trinity it IS! YEAH! What about a 6100? Or is a bulldozer even bad for that simple uses?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:09:17 AM

Bulldozer would be fine as well for her, it just doesn't have any sort of on-board graphics.

wait... Wasn't there another post here?! Did it get deleted I could have sworn this post was a response to another..

Ignore this post then :/ 
Score
October 5, 2012 5:11:07 AM

Ok thanks all!!
Score
a c 175 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:11:16 AM

well as before the if ur going for the cheapest an fx six core def wouldnt be the way to go, and really the fx bulldozer cpus rnt bad its just when compared to other cpus like intels i3/i5 etc and phenoms II. People who use an fx cpu doesnt notice how "bad" people say it is. good future proof but cost wise no. except in clock rate wise and what non gaming/editing program requires six cores? lol
Score
October 5, 2012 5:12:02 AM

NoUserBar said:
Bulldozer would be fine as well for her, it just doesn't have any sort of on-board graphics.

wait... Wasn't there another post here?! Did it get deleted I could have sworn this post was a response to another..

Ignore this post then :/ 

Maybe your internet disconnected hah xD
Score
a c 175 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:19:53 AM

Def, like the choice of motherboard, not sure how good it is as fm2 just released but no oc no major load or anything should work great, i prefer asus over some other brands lol. and that A8 will prob be overkill for basic use but its all about its capability to last. and of course cost, spending the little extra so it last longer will def be worth it.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:24:35 AM

Does your relative need USB3 in the future? x75 chipset might be better then. And if your relative doesn't need to overclock k is unnecessary.

/.. Buuut it looks like newegg doesn't have non k.

...Why? Why doesn't new egg have all the parts yet.. lol

Ah if you look here askrock has some cheaper boards with x75 (usb 3) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

asrock seems ok..
Score
October 5, 2012 5:24:44 AM

lazyboy947 said:
Def, like the choice of motherboard, not sure how good it is as fm2 just released but no oc no major load or anything should work great, i prefer asus over some other brands lol. and that A8 will prob be overkill for basic use but its all about its capability to last. and of course cost, spending the little extra so it last longer will def be worth it.

Okay! But am going Gigabyte because of local shop.
Score
October 5, 2012 5:32:42 AM

NoUserBar said:
Does your relative need USB3 in the future? x75 chipset might be better then. And if your relative doesn't need to overclock k is unnecessary.

/.. Buuut it looks like newegg doesn't have non k.

...Why? Why doesn't new egg have all the parts yet.. lol

Ah if you look here askrock has some cheaper boards with x75 (usb 3) : http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

asrock seems ok..

Good point. DAMNIT No ASRock in local shop. Well thanks! Will look for USB3 THAAANKS!
Score
a c 124 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:45:59 AM

For someone who is not likely to do anything much more intensive than watching YouTube videos, I would get something like an A6 or A8 AMD APU on FM2 socket and use the IGP.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:46:24 AM

Ah, I know you said your relative won't be gaming, but if you want to make full use of the APU in the future, faster ram would help a lot. 1600 removes most of the bottleneck, but 1333 at least I think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Is just as expensive but faster. Proly know that though..

If this is a hand me down in the future it might be useful to have faster ram xD. I have a hand-me-down computer.

And yeah you upped the cpu on that new list... I thought that was what ProVisionOman wanted though, so I didn't comment on it lol
Score
October 5, 2012 12:38:19 PM

NoUserBar said:
Ah, I know you said your relative won't be gaming, but if you want to make full use of the APU in the future, faster ram would help a lot. 1600 removes most of the bottleneck, but 1333 at least I think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... Is just as expensive but faster. Proly know that though..

If this is a hand me down in the future it might be useful to have faster ram xD. I have a hand-me-down computer.

And yeah you upped the cpu on that new list... I thought that was what ProVisionOman wanted though, so I didn't comment on it lol

Well :D  But the A10 is better than the A8. 30$ isnt much lol. Well thanks on the RAM Idea! Will try 1600.. But its kinda expensive. But now no need to hurry! 1333 is MORE than enough.
Score
a c 124 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 1:01:15 PM

ProVisionOman said:
Well :D  But the A10 is better than the A8. 30$ isnt much lol. Well thanks on the RAM Idea! Will try 1600.. But its kinda expensive. But now no need to hurry! 1333 is MORE than enough.

If you look on NewEgg, 8GB 1333MT/s RAM is ~$34 while 1600MT/s RAM is ~$36. Only $2 extra, not that much more expensive and every little bits helps for IGP gaming.

In A10 / Trinity IGP reviews, the IGP's gaming performance scales almost linearly up to 2133MT/s.
Score
October 5, 2012 3:09:51 PM

Well I changed the CPU/MOBO because she wants it to last. I took that as "Lasting 3+ years" and since she wont use the iGPU much.. I went with an Intel solution (Cheaper LOL!). Went with an i3-3225 (HD 4000 graphics) and a GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V Motherboard.
Score
a c 124 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 3:23:56 PM

ProVisionOman said:
Well I changed the CPU/MOBO because she wants it to last. I took that as "Lasting 3+ years" and since she wont use the iGPU much.

For people who aren't doing anything particularly demanding, it is quite easy to build a computer that will last a very long time. My father is still using a 650MHz P3 that I lent him years ago and when I offered to upgrade it to a 3GHz C2D with 8GB RAM for $100 which would be around 10X faster a few days ago, he told me he was still happy enough with my 13 years old PC.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 3:39:15 PM

InvalidError said:
When I offered to upgrade it to a 3GHz C2D with 8GB RAM for $100 which would be around 10X faster a few days ago, he told me he was still happy enough with my 13 years old PC.

Errr...you tried to SELL stuff to your own DAD ??!! :ouch: 
Score
a c 124 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:58:54 PM

$hawn said:
Errr...you tried to SELL stuff to your own DAD ??!!

The only reason I want to upgrade my current PC is so I can stuff 16GB RAM in it because 8GB is becoming somewhat tight squeeze and DDR2 is too expensive to bother with. My original plan was to tough it out until Haswell but I got an itch to upgrade sooner, which is why I came up with a $100 fee for changing my mind. Since he wasn't interested, I'm simply back to my original plan.
Score
October 6, 2012 4:02:42 PM

InvalidError said:
The only reason I want to upgrade my current PC is so I can stuff 16GB RAM in it because 8GB is becoming somewhat tight squeeze and DDR2 is too expensive to bother with. My original plan was to tough it out until Haswell but I got an itch to upgrade sooner, which is why I came up with a $100 fee for changing my mind. Since he wasn't interested, I'm simply back to my original plan.

Lol.
Score
October 16, 2012 12:27:18 PM

Best answer selected by ProVisionOman.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 14, 2012 4:55:00 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!