Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

3770k vs 3820 (SAME PRICE!)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
October 5, 2012 4:59:40 AM

Hellow.
I am buying a PC for gaming and video editing and the occasional 3D (Element 3D for example)
I am looking at two Processors and their Motherboards:
i7 3820 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

i7 3770k http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Similar prices eh? Both Gigabyte motherboards because of the Local Shop I am buying off. Thanks!

More about : 3770k 3820 price

Related resources
a c 190 à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 3:51:33 PM

But are you going to spend $300 for a processor in hopes that in a year you will buy a better processor on the same stock? The difference between socket 1155 and 2011 really comes down to if the application that you are going to be using will take advantage of the quad channel memory (things like some video editing will) while games won't.

So check into the applications that you are going to be using to even see if it has any value to think about the socket 2011 based processors.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 4:05:48 PM

3770K
Score
0
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 4:05:54 PM

@ ProVisionOman Very rare to see a guy researching processors on both ends of the CPU price segment :) 
Score
0

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 4:17:31 PM

The 3820 is the better choice by far.The things is that from a processor standpoint it isn't really better but its platform is just higher end.
LGA 2011 has a upgrade path to Ivy-Bridge-E while LGA 1155 is pretty much dead.
Share
October 5, 2012 8:25:20 PM

ProVisionOman said:
Saw that. But I WILL be overclocking and the 2011 socket opens up an upgrade path whilst the 1155 doesnt.


What upgrade path though? If you are thinking that you get more PCI-Express lanes to use multiple graphics cards better, then yeah sure. The platform is better as has been said.

If you are thinking you can add a better (value) processor in the future then that really depends on what you are doing with it. The replacement for the i7-3820 won't likely offer anything worth the cost of upgrading. The replacement for the i7-3930K would be a good upgrade, but that is going to be a $600 processor again; so if this is just for gaming then Ivy-Bridge now and Haswell in the future will cost less and give more performance now and in the future. If you have other multi-threaded uses then the i7-3930K replacement may be a good upgrade, but then I would question why you aren't going after the 6-core performance now rather than in a year.
Score
0
October 6, 2012 4:03:15 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
But are you going to spend $300 for a processor in hopes that in a year you will buy a better processor on the same stock? The difference between socket 1155 and 2011 really comes down to if the application that you are going to be using will take advantage of the quad channel memory (things like some video editing will) while games won't.

So check into the applications that you are going to be using to even see if it has any value to think about the socket 2011 based processors.

Thanks but my main two things that I will be doing on my pc is video editing and gaming.
Score
0
October 6, 2012 4:03:43 PM

$hawn said:
@ ProVisionOman Very rare to see a guy researching processors on both ends of the CPU price segment :) 

Well am not a rich spoiled guy :p 
Score
0
October 6, 2012 4:04:59 PM

Umbongo said:
What upgrade path though? If you are thinking that you get more PCI-Express lanes to use multiple graphics cards better, then yeah sure. The platform is better as has been said.

If you are thinking you can add a better (value) processor in the future then that really depends on what you are doing with it. The replacement for the i7-3820 won't likely offer anything worth the cost of upgrading. The replacement for the i7-3930K would be a good upgrade, but that is going to be a $600 processor again; so if this is just for gaming then Ivy-Bridge now and Haswell in the future will cost less and give more performance now and in the future. If you have other multi-threaded uses then the i7-3930K replacement may be a good upgrade, but then I would question why you aren't going after the 6-core performance now rather than in a year.

But Vegas will use all 10000 cores if I had them right? :D 
Score
0
October 17, 2012 11:25:08 AM

Best answer selected by ProVisionOman.
Score
0
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 14, 2012 4:54:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!