October 5, 2012 5:27:13 AM

Here are my system specs:

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD Athlon II X3 450 18 °C
Rana 45nm Technology
RAM
8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 801MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock 770 Extreme3 (CPUSocket) 32 °C
Graphics
VE248 (1920x1080@60Hz)
767MB GeForce GTX 460 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 36 °C
Hard Drives
298GB SAMSUNG HD322GJ ATA Device (SATA) 28 °C
233GB Seagate ST3250620A ATA Device (PATA) 35 °C
Optical Drives
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

The purpose of the upgrade is really to get a performance boost for Planetside 2, as I'm repeatedly hearing it's a processor hog.

I've considered changing out my system hard drive to SSD, also, but that's neither here nor there.

Where I'm needing the most advice is choosing the best (and correct) CPU for the motherboard listed above. Here's a link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So the question as it goes is, if you were me and you had a painfully tiny budget, how would you get the best performance increase?

a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:34:57 AM

Well the answer would be Phenom II. One of those would be better, I think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... Look here

I suggest black edition.

As for ssd I've read that samgsung 830 is a bit more reliable than most (if your os supports trim support) and cheaper than it was before.
October 5, 2012 6:38:34 AM

Is there an argument for or against one of the 6-core or 8-core AM3 socket type CPUs?

Are those not as great as they sound, or are they incompatible with the motherboard I have?

this is where my knowledge of PC hardware gets blurry.

Will my motherboard work with ANY AM3 socket type CPU? Or are there other requirements to consider?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 7:26:06 AM

am3+ processors will not fit. So fx won't work. I think bulldozer won't work either, but it might.

When I told you it was based off of what you mother board said was compatible. So yeah it should, but getting anything lower than what you have would be silly.

More cores over 4 will only help those applications that are optimized to use them efficiently. Some games are, few other apps might be.

Honestly I'm not sure if getting an upgrade to more cores for you will help all that much since it looks like you already have a mostly decent cpu..

Here is a review of black edition if it helps you make up your mind: http://www.techspot.com/review/162-amd-phenom2-x4-955/p...

(don't mind the page it was random, you can probably find other reviews as well if you look around search engines)
October 5, 2012 7:48:07 AM

It isn't a bad CPU, I'm just running into some performance issues with Planetside 2.

Keep the opinions coming everybody, I appreciate it.

UPDATE:

I thought this forum was overrun with tech gurus, can't a brother get some more advice?

UPDATE:

Was really expecting a little more response from the forum.
October 7, 2012 7:05:07 AM

Bump
!