Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
Ok, so I was having issues with a new graphics card and posted about it in that section of the forums. Got some great help with the issue and after a lengthy discussion figured out it was a PSU problem....

The guy that helped me was great and listed a few options to help me select a new PSU, was about to order one and then I noticed something. Some of the PSU options I was given seem to have a fan on top of the unit, and some seem to have one in the rear. Here are some of the suggestions I recieved....

Top fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256061&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=lbifhgz8jipq

Rear fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=4176827&SID=fhr8sxl8lh93

I don't really know much about this component of a computer aside from taking it out and cleaning dust, just the basics. I was told that all the ones listed would fit my computer, but the one I currently have has the fan in the rear.

Common sense would obviously tell me to "get the one with the fan in the rear" because it matches the one I currently have. However I would like some feedback on wether both kinds would work in my computer before I actually make a decision. Does the location of the fan make a difference?

Thanks in advance for any info/help.

If your computer is of modern age, it will most likely be in ATX form factor. Both of the PSU's listed are in ATX form factor so they will fit without a problem :)

The only thing you should worry about is how you want to direct your airflow. Obviously, having a PSU with the fan on the bottom will either 1) help exhaust hot air out of your case, or 2) intake fresh air from the bottom of your case.

Both of those PSU's will work fine, however.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
We would need to know your what exact case you have before we could tell you either way.

Your common sense is right on the money, though.
If you already have a fan in the rear then that is most likely what you should get, for simplicity's sake.

mocchan is right, it is about airflow.

Hockey85

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2012
Ok when I was thinking the fan was on "top" its actually the bottom lol..... I guess I was thinking some types of towers may have a vent on top for a fan.

I have a dell studio xps 8100 computer. The vent for the PSU is in the back of the computer. So I should probably get one with the fan in the back then? Im laughing to myself as I type this but I just wanna be totally sure.

Thanks again for the help.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
As long as they do the sam thing, the one that fits your case is best, in my opinion.

Those towers psu mounted on top towers do exist though lol
Maybe you can turn the psu on it's side? I've wondered that about those top facing psus. Probably best not to experiment though..

What do you mean 'side'? I'm a little confused by this.

However, I DID try drilling holes on my brother's old Rosewill Blackbone case (top mounted PSU) :lol: didn't end up pretty, the mounting holes at the back didn't line up with the PSU when it was flipped (doh, why didn't I think of this?) and the giant hole at the top proved to be a dust magnet for the PSU. I was too cheap to get myself a fan filter so that project ultimately ended up as a catastrophic failure :lol: