RASHEED NP

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
"HELLO,I am using an old model monitor, dell p7771p. Recently I installed windows 7 ultimate. Now I am unable to change refresh rate,there is no option on the monitor tab only have"Use hardware default setting'. Driver update shows'Best driver already installed'.But aero trouble shooter indicates" contact manufacture for driver'. When it was windows xp I could change the refresh rate. Here are hardware info. Adapter-standard vga graphic adapter, chip type-ATI rage 128, BIO- 01.000. PC- DTK-MS-6566. Could you please help to fix this problem without buying a new vedio card? Thanks"

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
try upgrading your graphics card drivers, when installing windows 7 connect it to the internet it should download basic drivers automatically, just let it download monitor generic drivers and this should have already allowed you to change refresh rate.

Unfortunately he cannot download graphic card drivers because ATI rage isn't supported in Windows 7.

@OP: What kind of a machine you have and why did you install windows 7? Doesn't it run very slow?

RASHEED NP

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Dear ricardois, Thanks for your replay, Could you please send the correct link to download monitor generic for my hardware.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
yes, probably that is the problem, i really can't find any drivers for that screen, are you sure this is the monitor name? dell p7771p i don't think it is..

Is there even a problem?

Please specify what refresh and resolution you are trying to change to. Usually the only option is 60Hz which is why you probably can't change it.

In general your monitor should be set to 60Hz at the highest resolution that it supports.

RASHEED NP

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

Yes I am sure my monitor is DELL E771p.

Yeah, 60Hz on a CRT is really eye painful. Usually at least 72Hz was needed on anything 17" or larger to make it easy on the eyes.
The problem is not all the video card, the problem is the monitor. You need to find the correct drivers, well actually it is not a driver at all, but an .inf file that simply supplies all the modes and settings that your monitor is capable of supporting to the OS and video card drivers. Once you have installed this tidbit of a file to your system, then all the modes your monitor is capable of displaying will be available. There also may be a box in the video driver screen somewhere that says something like "hide modes not supported by my monitor" You may uncheck this, and then you will get all modes available. But, be warned, that if you choose a refresh rate higher than your CRT can support, you can instantly ruin it. That is why that box is checked, and that is why if your computer doesn't "know" what your monitor is and what it will support, it only allows you the standard low 60Hz choice.
Go to the maker of your monitor's website and find and download the "drivers", or .inf file for it.

But to that end, I don't think there ever have been drivers released that are Win 7 compatible, so yeah as others have stated, upgrading to Win 7 on system this old was not the thing to do. You should go back to using XP or whatever you have before, and if you really like Win7, well you need to get a newer PC.

^I ran across those, which would be absolutely correct if they work, but it does state that they only support up to Win 2000 in the compatibility list, but it never hurts to try. My gosh that monitor is nearly an antique :)

TRENDING THREADS