x2 4400 and Thermal Compound

ZackInTheBox

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
I am new to building computers, Ive only upgraded simple things on the one I have. I just bought a x2 4400 and some arctic 5. I dont know much about how to apply it and if it is worth applying over something they might include, or if it already has the compound on it. If it does is it worth taking off? How would I go about cleaning it off? Is it possible for me to mess up enough applying the compound and putting the cpu in the socket that I could easily break something? Plz help my stupid self :). I just hope I can tackle this by myself :).

MadModMike

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I am new to building computers, Ive only upgraded simple things on the one I have. I just bought a x2 4400 and some arctic 5. I dont know much about how to apply it and if it is worth applying over something they might include, or if it already has the compound on it. If it does is it worth taking off? How would I go about cleaning it off? Is it possible for me to mess up enough applying the compound and putting the cpu in the socket that I could easily break something? Plz help my stupid self :). I just hope I can tackle this by myself :).

Put a small drop of AS5 on the center of the CPU and spread it around with a piece of plastic or use the tube itself. Apply just enough so you can't clearly see the CPU but not so much as to see a river of white paste.

~~Mad Mod Mike, pimpin' the world 1 rig at a time

ZackInTheBox

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
is it possible for me to do any damage by like putting to much or scratching it a bit with the thing im spreading it? so i want it like paper thin across? i want to make sure i dont fry my processor :) my mom'd kill me.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, the instructions on AS5s site suggest you put a small drop of AS5 right in the center of the chip and drop the HSF right on top of it. That stuff spreads itself very much so across the chip once the HSF is installed.

Since its a 939 socket, you shouldn't have to apply much pressure. What I would do is lay the board on a good static free surface, install the processor, apply the AS5 and the HSF while its out of the case. Just take your time with it and don't rush it. You'll be fine.

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
and about the cleaning part... u can use the articlean made by the same company as arctic silver. it removes pretty much any thermal kind of thermal compound and works really well. the surface purifier can make ur processor shines like brand new too! :D

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
the surface purifier can make ur processor shines like brand new too! :D

Does that mean you can get away by using AS5 by not voiding your AMD warranty? And when they use an electron microsope, they won't see anything?

:oops: <( J/K!!! J/K!!! No really.. I'm JUST KIDDING!!)

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
hahaha i dont know abt tt mate... lolz, used to clean my cpu using acetone or some other weird chemicals which my friends give me (and i dont knwo the name) but none of them cleans as good as the articlean.. lolz tts y

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
the surface purifier can make ur processor shines like brand new too! :D

Does that mean you can get away by using AS5 by not voiding your AMD warranty? And when they use an electron microsope, they won't see anything?

:oops: <( J/K!!! J/K!!! No really.. I'm JUST KIDDING!!)

HA HA, I am suprised anyone remembers that Moron. :lol:

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005

Put a small amount on the processor in the center. Remove the thermal pad from the HSF is there is one, and place it on there with a gentle pressure. Be careful not to apply too much, as you don't want to get any on the Processor Pins, that can cause problems.

You can use 90% purity rubbing alcohol if you can get it, or 70% in a pinch to clean them.

ZackInTheBox

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
so i was lookin at amd forums and some1 was asking if they needed paste or w/e. somebody wrote this.
Your AMD processor will come with a heatsink as well, and this heatsink actually has a small amount of thermal compound on the bottom. This will be sufficient for any of your needs I would think. Now if you do plan on overclocking some people like to use a different thermal grease/paste whatever. The recommended one is Arctic Silver 5.
tricksonFeb 23 2006, 10:01 PM
no you realy do not need to , but if you want to get some AS5 is the way to go . the thermal pad that is on the bottom of the HSF will be just fine . If you are going to O/C that 4400+ then you may want to go with a differant cooler and AS% . if not then what is there will be fine .

im not planning on overclocking or anything, and ive got like 4 fans that are gonna be going, so should just this pad be good for my needs? as long as it isnt like so hot that its hurting anything i dont think it will matter?
FEEDBACK plzy :)

mpjesse

Splendid
LOL.

According to that clown, just looking at your AMD processor the wrong way could potentially void the warranty.

"IT'S ALL ON GOOD FAITH!!!! AHHH!!! I'M CRAZY!!!!!" - Crazy Electron Microscope Guy

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
What's a warranty? I thought they got rid of those!

Actually I am glad they didn't, since my $850 HDTV just developed a problem in the lower corner and its a month old!!

ZackInTheBox

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
lol. if ur referring to me as the clown then blah at u haha. im just computer hardware stupid and i dont want to do anything to my 460$ proc. its alot of money to me and if a little paranoia prevents a problem in installing it then so be it. but hey i got another stupid question. can i use pad and paste or is it one or other? plz dont laugh :(

HisoKa

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2005
but hey i got another stupid question. can i use pad and paste or is it one or other? plz dont laugh :(

lolz... it's different mate... pad is smth like the one tt sticks below ur stock coolers... and paste comes in tube liek AS5... well.. maybe actually both of the are the same thing.. but that's how i use to call them...

ZackInTheBox

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
i think that made sense but im not sure. whats tt smth and tt? i think that u can either have paste or a little pad thingy between ur proc and the heatsink that both transfer heat good and the x2's come with a pad on the heatsink that goes against the proc whenever u put it on the thing. but im not sure. some1 with some brainpower is welcome to correct me

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
lol. if ur referring to me as the clown then blah at u haha. im just computer hardware stupid and i dont want to do anything to my 460$ proc. its alot of money to me and if a little paranoia prevents a problem in installing it then so be it. but hey i got another stupid question. can i use pad and paste or is it one or other? plz dont laugh :(

No, we weren't reffering to you, but to another member that was an idiot, and I think has been banned.

It ones or the other, don't use both.