Sign in with
Your question

Help me build a monster for Photo editing and wedding photos

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2012 2:03:44 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: Next couple of months

Budget Range: 1500-2500 USD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Professional Wedding photographer- Lightroom, Photoshop many HDD's for ackup and redundancy needs to be super fast and reliable.

Parts Not Required:keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, HDD's,I have one 128 Vertex SSD, 500W Antec PSU(Can I transfer This PSU to new build?) good processor cooling fan.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Coolermaster HAF 932,Intel Core i7-3930K(or should I look into 3960?)Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5

Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe (dont know what this means)

Monitor Resolution: No need

Additional Comments: So- What memory should I get? will PSU hold up? any thoughts if this is a correct build? Any tips and\or advice is welcome and appreciated.
June 7, 2012 3:40:12 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9Eas

here. SLI or crossfire is a function that allows you to run 2 cards at the same time for more performance. in my build, if you need ore performance, you can add another card of the same model to run SLI
m
l
June 7, 2012 3:46:25 PM

Dont know if troll or if being serious.

Just kidding, thanks a lot, this really helps.
I noticed you have a 850 WTT PSU, is that needed for this kind of processor?
also, does this build make use of the 16 gb of memory you have?

thanks!
m
l
Related resources
June 7, 2012 4:01:03 PM

well i made it 850w because it leaves you room to do SLI and overclock the chip. 16gb of ram will be good for lightroom and that kind of stuff. 32gb will be lots of space for your usage. if you are not to SLi or overclock, the 650w will do
m
l
June 7, 2012 4:15:59 PM

TheBigTroll said:
well i made it 850w because it leaves you room to do SLI and overclock the chip. 16gb of ram will be good for lightroom and that kind of stuff. 32gb will be lots of space for your usage. if you are not to SLi or overclock, the 650w will do

I see, thanks a bunch, makes sense.

my main concern is having fast exporting of lightroom photos and the ability to have as many hdd's as possible in the case
do you think the components i have are correct or overkill?
m
l
June 7, 2012 5:46:30 PM

the motherboard supports up to 8 drives i believe. the case has lots of space for those drives.
m
l
June 7, 2012 5:51:07 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the motherboard supports up to 8 drives i believe. the case has lots of space for those drives.

Thanks Bigtroll, I appreciate your time you put into this.

Just still a bit confused as to if I should upgrade my 500watt PSU to something better..
m
l
June 7, 2012 10:41:10 PM

500w wouldnt be optimal since sandy--bridge-e is pretty power hungry
m
l
June 7, 2012 11:38:22 PM

Why would he want to SLI for editting photos? I don't see the benefit, at all.
m
l
June 7, 2012 11:39:18 PM

SLI does increase some performance. it works ;P
m
l
!