unclejehmimah

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
If you're asking questions like this, I would suggest you gain a better understanding of hardware before buying a new video card. You should probably check out LinusTechTips and NCIX Tech Tips on youtube. That's where I got started learning about computers.

All video cards are backwards compatible with DX versions. A video card that is DX11 will support and work with all games, and previous versions of Direct X. The issue is that the first Operating System to support DX10 options and above was Windows Vista. So if you are running XP, yes the card will work perfectly fine for you, you just will not have any of the DX10 or DX11 options available to you to be turned on inside of games, they will simply be greyed out, or not there at all.

It will work as long as the drivers also support XP. Don't be surprised if you start to see this start to be an issue. However, I believe they all have drivers that support XP.

Some new games are starting to drop support for XP as well. I do not believe BF3 supports XP and I am sure others will drop this support as well, if they haven't started already. I'd seriously consider an OS upgrade soon. Windows 8 is around the corner so maybe it's time for a complete overhaul.