Sign in with
Your question

Does this configuration make sense?

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2012 2:55:46 PM

I am trying to configure a desktop that can run my architecture software. We're required to run Revit, AutoCAD, Rhino, and Creative Suite. I am still new to configuring custom PCs like this. I have done a level of my own research, but I know I still need a more informed opinion of this configuration before I buy it. Any suggestions, warnings, comments, or criticisms are greatly appreciated.

Here is my configuration as of now:

CASE:Corsair Obsidian Series 800D Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 4x SATA Hot-Swap Drive Bays & Side-Panel Window

CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive

CPU:Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

FAN:CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 18dBA)

COOLANT:High-Performance Coolant powered by Koolance

HDD:120 GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s SSD - 525MB/s Read & 500MB/s Write

HDD2:3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

FAN_HDD: Vigor iSURF II Hard Disk Drive Cooling System (1 x Systems)

MEMORY:32GB (8GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory

MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) GIGABYTE X79 G1 Assassin 2 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Creative 20K2 HD Audio, Killer E2100 LAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

POWERSUPPLY: 1300 Watts - Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 80 Plus Gold Power Supply (80+ Gold)

VIDEO:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 4GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked)

CARE:Cooler Master Thermal Fusion 400 Extreme Performance CPU - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation

CARE:p rofessional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System

On the configuration: I am new to liquid cooling, so if anyone knows how that specific system works or has a better solution, I am all ears. The CPU and GPU will be overclocked. I am leaving extra room on my wattage to accommodate adding another graphics card later. I am considering Corsair Vengeance for the RAM. My main concern with the system is overheating, since the system will be running at high capacity for 24+ hours at times and daily for 8 hour periods.

Once again I am still new to configuring a system on this level, and am also new to the forum. So I apologize in advance if I failed to follow the Rules of Conduct. Any help is appreciated. I plan on buying the system in the next few days.

Also, I'm considering buying the system without an os and installing it myself since I can get Windows 7 Professional cheaper as a student. Thoughts?
June 7, 2012 3:11:17 PM

I won't be any help on the components as what you're building is way over my head. However, I would absolutely recommend buying without the OS and buying it through your school. It's way cheaper and it's quite easy to install! Good luck with the build!
June 7, 2012 3:11:29 PM

If you are using it for just cad/architecture you don't need liquid cooling. If you are not going to play games much or at all, consider these gpus:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, consider making your own computer instead of cyberpower, so you know what goes in, you have more choice, and it'l be cheaper. Trust me, I just turned 13 and I have built my own computer, running well since new years.
Related resources
June 7, 2012 3:29:07 PM

i don't want AMD for the GPU, that's just personal preference. I don't want to go with the Quadro because I don't want to limit myself to only cad. I originally thought I was going to build my own, but according to pcpartpicker buying the hardware was gonna cost around $3200. Right now on cyberpower I can get this configuration for around $3500 (with a quick google search for coupon codes). Considering I have never built a pc before, I am required to having it working in two months, and i am currently working 40 hour weeks (to pay for this thing) I decided to let the people with the right tools and expertise handle it.
June 7, 2012 3:36:50 PM

ok just telling you it takes 3 hours to build a computer :D 
June 7, 2012 4:33:44 PM

One day I'll make that jump haha. I am going to get liquid cooling, just to quell my fears. The last thing I need is my computer overheating the night before a project is due. There are times I work on a project for 30 hours straight. Plus I know I'll be upgrading in the future and playing games during the summer, so it'll be a nice thing to have already.

Does anyone know how that liquid cooling system compares to others? Any other parts or add-ons I should consider?

Also, would that power supply be able to handle 3 way SLI with three of those GPUs?
June 7, 2012 4:35:53 PM

They are overclocking the CPU 20% for me, but how much further can I take it?
!