Upgrading my rig, getting some sand!

AshutoshM

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2011
Okay guyz, I've decided to upgrade my rig once again and this time I would be finally registered into the sandy bridge category too if destiny allows. My current rig specs are under 'More Information' section so I won't mention it again. For the new upgrade I've decided to go with an i5-2400 and a descent motherboard (of course not the Z68 or Z77 as I won't be ocing plus it's not K series processor either).

First, I was going with something like H61 mobo but then I got my hands onto a mobo like this, Asrock B75-M GL which is based on a new platform B75 offering more than the H61 like USB 3.0 support and PCI-3.0 (I know this won't be of any use for me but in case). Now, please don't recommend me the i5-2500k as my budget won't allow me that plus for that I will have to go with the Z68 or Z77 mobo and then I won't be going with a cheap Z68/77 coz then I would definitely go with a hard overclocker board which means absolute financial disaster for me :pfff: !

I need to mention here that I will be playing only games and each game on best available settings. But, as far as the resolution is concerned, I won't be stretching it more than 1366 X 768. Now, for a resolution like this, I don't think that I need a GPU upgrade too.

My other thought is getting another HD 6850 or HD 6870 and do a Crossfire but for that I will be needing a new PSU and mobo as my current mobo is not Crossfire capable and e8200 would then bottleneck my crossfire setup, plus it would be too heavy on my budget.

So, what do you guys think of an i5-2400 + HD 6850 build and will it be future proof?

EDIT: 2400 is a solid CPU and even runs neck to neck with 2500k even when 2500k is overclocked at 4Ghz in games especially. Even, 2400 is a bit faster in some cases :lol: . See one such test: http://bit.ly/AnNl8R

Solution

The main x16 slot is connected directly to the LGA1155 CPU's built-in x16 PCIe controller, not to the IOHub.

z77 also only has 8x PCIe lanes from the IO Hub but these are only used for other on-board peripherals and x4/x1 slots.

InvalidError

Titan

The main x16 slot is connected directly to the LGA1155 CPU's built-in x16 PCIe controller, not to the IOHub.

z77 also only has 8x PCIe lanes from the IO Hub but these are only used for other on-board peripherals and x4/x1 slots.

Solution

mi1ez

Splendid

Friday afternoon mistake. Time to get off the forums!