Sign in with
Your question

What is the best (cheapest per Kbps) way to networ

Last response: in Networking
October 10, 2005 5:34:48 PM

Probably a solution posted already, but I haven’t guessed the key words needed to find it.

Here’s my problem I need to connect a computer in a cabin to the DSL line in the main house. Problem is they are roughly 700 feet apart, through planted pine trees (wireless options could be problematic, I will have to put up an antenna), and the cabin is down hill.

I need a lot of Cat 5e and some weather resistant repeater hubs, a long range wireless system, or an option I haven’t come up with yet. I’m guessing there’s a wireless system I can use, but I don’t know much about wireless networking, any suggestions?

More about : cheapest kbps networ

October 10, 2005 5:37:52 PM

Find out the actual distance. Cat6 will run roughly 700-750 feet. If you over estimated, you might be in luck if you can reach that.

Someone else can touch on the wireless stuff, I think it's still being perfected so I'm waiting on it.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 16, 2005 7:32:10 AM

Yours seems like a perfect situation to try wireless and a couple of directional antennae.
Related resources
December 20, 2005 2:38:08 PM

GTech02,

You need what's called an "access point". This is a wireless device that's commonly used in hotels and motels to service customers who need hi-speed wireless access from their rooms. Prices range all over the map, depending on the power (distance covered) required. Some of these access points can go well over 1000 feet through concrete, etc. This may be overkill, but I haven't seen a home device that will reach that distance, although I surely haven't seen them all!

Good luck! Dondd
December 22, 2005 9:46:43 PM

700+ feet of direct burial grade cable w/ or w/o repeaters could run into some serious bucks. Wireless with directional antennas could be cheaper. Regular cat5e/cat6 wont survive the elements long, especially if they are burried or free hanging.
This would be a very powerful wireless solution:
Buffalo AirStation 54Mbps 802.11g Wireless Router & Repeater Kit - $159.95
Backfire 2.4 GHz WiFi Antenna - $57.95
MCX to N type Male pigtail - (price depends on length) ~$30+

That antenna is a 15db directional dish that is custom made by the owner of radiolabs. I have a couple of them myself and with line of sight they easily go miles. Trees shouldn't be a problem for a 700ft shot with a pair of those. The buffalo equipment has an AOSS function that is sort of an auto config. Just setup the antennas and the ap/repeater then hit the AOSS button on both of them. Sometimes it is hit or miss but most of the time it will setup the connection for you.
December 26, 2005 12:53:13 AM

Would a wireless router/access point that utilizes MIMO (multi-in, multi-out) reach those distances?
December 26, 2005 5:37:51 AM

I haven't had much luck with MIMO increasing range, just throughput. I sort of get the feeling MIMO is more of a novelty than something that will actually take hold. I'm sure a new wireless revision will make it a thing of the past.
You might be able to get away with only putting a dish on one side instead of both. Just putting a dish on the accesspoint and pointing it at the cabin might enable wireless devices in the cabin to connect (depending on walls and surroundings of course). The equipment I listed earlier would probably be a more reliable solution but heck there is no loss getting one piece at a time or somethin and seeing how far you can get with each step up. I always find playing with stuff much more fun/informative than having something work right out of the box ;) 
If you want to try the MIMO route be advised that should you choose to do a wireless bridge setup later the MIMO router probably wont work for it.
!