ATA100 & Regular IDE HD

G

Is it possible to connect an ATA100 hard drive as a master and as the slave a regular IDE hard drive? Will it decrease peformance or anything?

-symband

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
Some people think it will reduce performance, others think it will not. So I guess the answer is to try it and see what happens...it won't break anything. My guess is that it will not hurt performance.

I wonder...what is the speed of gravity?

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
It will only run as fast as the regular IDE drive. It won't run at ata-100. I learned this when i got my cd-rom drive and found out that my hard drive was only running at ultra-33 and not 66 that is why i have my cd-rom and cd-burner on the same cable(controller 2) and the hard drive on controller 1.

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
The only problem with that is when you're doing on-the-fly CD copies. If the reader and writer are on the same cable, they don't like to work.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Right, but you can copy straight across non-on-the-fly, by having the program create an image file first. It's still one step as far as you're concerned, but it's really two. If your program is reading and then writing, you created an image file. If it just does one long read/write, then you did it on-the-fly.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?