Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
Ok, my case is a "300W ATX form-factor", that's all I know right now. Does that implie that I have a 300W PSU? Does that implie that if I buy let's say a 450W PSU, it would not fit in my case?

Also, whenever I start my computer, and it has been like that since I bought it actually, in 2004, it goes BRRRRRRR for about 5 minutes as if there was some vibration, and then suddenly it becomes very quiet and stays like that until I turn it off. Is that normal?
However, once it has finished making all it's noise, if I turn it off and restart it, it will not make any excess sound, as if it was still "heated up".
When I open up "My computer", it often takes about 3 seconds before anything appears on the screen and my computer would make some noise, though nothing of the BRRRRR kind, more like sshhhfffffFFFFFffffff... Is that normal?

Also, I am willing to buy some video card between the 6600GT and the X850XT. If I need to change my actual PSU, could you reccomend some PSUs, the cheapest possible :wink: in Canada.

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Sorry...I just want to comment on how damn cute the descriptions of those noises are...lmao

You should be able to upgrade your supply with no probs.

The initial "BRRRRRRRRR" of your computer on start up sounds like your HD spinning along with CD-Rom...sounds normal but if it's vibrating and super loud, you might wanna get that checked out

The "sshhhfffffFFFFFffffff" noise is once again, probably just your HD spinning up again searching.

*wipes tear from eye*

scoyle

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2005
The "BRRR" vibration sounds actually sounds more like a fan to me. I was messing around inside my case, under the influence, and I stuck my finger right into a PSU fan that I had modified to blow in a different direction. Since then, the fan vibrates to all hell and also makes a "BRRR" sound at startup and for a while after, but usually calms down after a few minutes or so.

The "shhhfffFFFfff" sound actually sounds a bit more like a CD-ROM. When "My Computer" is opened, it reads from the CD-ROM drive(s) to see if there is any media in them, and if so it displays the name of the CD-ROM disk.

Dr_asik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
The "BRRR" vibration sounds actually sounds more like a fan to me. I was messing around inside my case, under the influence, and I stuck my finger right into a PSU fan that I had modified to blow in a different direction. Since then, the fan vibrates to all hell and also makes a "BRRR" sound at startup and for a while after, but usually calms down after a few minutes or so.

The "shhhfffFFFfff" sound actually sounds a bit more like a CD-ROM. When "My Computer" is opened, it reads from the CD-ROM drive(s) to see if there is any media in them, and if so it displays the name of the CD-ROM disk.
Yeah, that's what I thought but wasn't sure about. Thanks for your help!

I just opened my computer case today:

- My PSU can deliver 13Amp on the +12V rail. It does run my Radeon 9600SE perfectly, but can it run more modern video cards such as X800XL or 6800GS?

- My PSU is a regular ATX compliant, but it looks small and I know PSUs vary in size. What I would hate the most is buying a new PSU and then realizing it wouldn't fit in my case. Is that possible?

- Here a nice little cheap PSU I found on www.ncix.com: Fortron Sparkle FSP/SPI ATX-400PN. It looks very popular and was reviewed positively by many users, but still, it's really cheap so I'm wondering. What do you think about it?

- Are modern PSUs still compatible with AGP?

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
1) My PSU can deliver 13Amp on the +12V rail. It does run my Radeon 9600SE perfectly, but can it run more modern video cards such as X800XL or 6800GS?

2) My PSU is a regular ATX compliant, but it looks small and I know PSUs vary in size. What I would hate the most is buying a new PSU and then realizing it wouldn't fit in my case. Is that possible?

3) Here a nice little cheap PSU I found on www.ncix.com: Fortron Sparkle FSP/SPI ATX-400PN. It looks very popular and was reviewed positively by many users, but still, it's really cheap so I'm wondering. What do you think about it?

4) Are modern PSUs still compatible with AGP?

1) 13A on a 12V rail seems a bit low to me personally. I think my power supply (FSP) runs 18A on 2 seperate 12V rails, so I believe it's total would be 36A. I know some video cards, especially high end, require a minimal amperage.

In effect 13A on a 12V rail = 156 Watts
My FSP has 18A on a 12V rail = 216 Watts

So in effect, my FSP can produce ~40% more Power

(My basic physics is a bit rusty)

2) Most power supplies use a universal standard in regards to construction. One rule that I go by is weight. If it's light, it ain't right. A good power supply will have some good weight to it. If you can't measure the weight, then check the specifications very carefully.

3) I use an FSP power supply and I've been really happy with it so far. No problems what-so-ever, yet. The molex connections are above standard and the cables are sleeved. This makes organization a sinch.

4) Modern power supples are compatible with AGP cards (If that's what you're asking).