Sign in with
Your question

Can't figure out what is wrong...

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2012 4:07:47 PM

Hey everyone,
So I've been dealing with a weird problem lately that I am finally fed up with, and thought I'd look for some outside input to locate the source/solution for it.

The Problem:
What's happening is constant stuttering framerates in any full-screen game. It's difficult to describe, but I first noticed while playing BF3, that no matter what my settings were at, my FPS were too low to play. I now even get this in Diablo III, and have left the game to go into something like Portal or L4D to confirm it still stutters and never seems to reach normal framerates, regardless of settings... The reason I can't seem to figure it out is because it happens in cycles of booting. By that I mean, I turn my computer on and it runs games poorly, no matter what I seem to do. But after turning it off and back on (sometimes more than once) everything will run just fine... and it all seems to continue working fine until i turn it off again, then It's a roll of the dice as to if it will turn on and work properly or not. I'm baffled by it.

What I've tried:
I've gone through everything that I could think of to try and develop a solution... Initially I assumed one of my HDD's was beginning to fail (they were in RAID-0, and although they are the exact same model of HDD, one is a few years older). I un-raided them, and ran thorough diagnostics (PC Check pre-boot software, Seagate's pre-boot factory diags) but both passed. To ensure it wasn't the RAID controller on my mobo, I am currently running them independently, and booting from an SSD (as i was booting from the RAID before). Needless to say, that has also required testing through several full system formats, and fresh downloads of all the games I have played to experience these issues. Further than that, I used the PC Check software (for those unfamiliar, it is the same as what Geek Squad uses) to test all system hardware outside the drives, with all passes as well. Beyond all of this, I have installed all the latest mobo drivers, and updated BIOS to the latest release as well. I have also ditched a previous CPU and RAM overclock to return to all MOBO default values... the OC's were stable for the last few months of use, but am trying to cover all bases here...
My thoughts now point me to my multi-monitor setup and AMD's graphics drivers...

As of now, these are my system Spec's:
ASUS X58 Sabertooth MOBO
i7-970 (formerly at 3.6mhz, back at stock 3.2 currently)
3x2gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz DDR3 (formerly at 1800mhz)
(2) ASUS 6870's DirectCU-II 1gb in CFX
Corsair tx750w PSU
Crucial C300 64gb SATA3 SSD (running on SATA 2 port currently)
(2) Segate Barracuda 7200rpm 500GB HDD's (formerly in RAID-0)
-CPU and both GPU's are liquid cooled by 2 rad system, powered by RASA750 system pump. Temps have constantly been at appropriate levels, and are not the cause.
-I run 3 Acer h233h 23" monitors (2 via DVI, 1 via active DVI to display port adapter). Most of the time, I have them in individual mode, and game on the center monitor. I have tried messing with monitor settings as well, as I have not ruled them out as a potential cause of the issues.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

More about : figure wrong

June 7, 2012 11:11:14 PM

probably the solid state drive. Problems that are unexplainable often are the fault of the SSD. It can have some damage or the files could be bad like drivers. Try setting it up to run without it. The other obvious idea is video drivers or the video cards are damaged. Of course the culprit could also be the power supply. If all else fails strip it down and start over.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 7, 2012 11:30:05 PM

as there online games i would look atthe mb chipset over heating or the network card or your internet connection is having an issue and your losing packets or the network card is slowing down. if you have a wireless or another network card to see if it the card or the mb chipset.
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2012 9:56:05 PM

It's not the SSD, as I just re-added it with this last format, and the issue was present when the SSD wasn't installed. As for the chipset, the north bridge does get warm compared to the rest of the system, but I have offset this with an 80mm fan directly on it, which keeps the temps at acceptable levels as well.
m
l
June 8, 2012 10:44:28 PM

If it was me I would prob revert back to an older version of the gpu driver first to see if this resolved the problem. Also have you anything new that runs on startup that you didn't have before? New anti-virus software, windows updates etc?
m
l
June 11, 2012 3:45:19 PM

I've been thinking its a driver issue as well... I think its possible that something in my eyefinity setup is the cause of the problem. I've been selective with updates as well and haven't been able to pin-point anything that would be a cause there.
m
l
!