Did I score a 125 w Mobo by mistake?

nevadead

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hi,
Thanks for reading! Please help if you can!

Here is a link to my cpu support list
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130138
K9A2 CF-F is what the mobo says but I can't find one just for the K9A2 CF-F

CPU Anthlon 64 X2 dual core 3.00 Ghz
here's the thing:
My mobo support has a red lettering in the top left corner of that page I linked you to and mine, I'm pretty dang sure, starts with those numbers and my CPU is allegedly 125 w
What is the deal?

I also just got an AMD FX Quad-Core Processor 4100 (3.6 GHz) AM3+, Retail (Black edition)
because I am trying to get better graphics for games like skyrim and etc without just dropping the bank into the toilet.

Should I cancel the order and is there probably damage to my motherboard?

Upgrade recommendations options are appreciated for future use. ex right now I have Hd 5750 which runs skyrim on high with quite decent frames.

Solution
Nope, you can't use an AM2+ mobo with an AM3+ CPU in this case. There are electrical differences between the AM3+ socket and previous versions.

With your existing config, the system will work with the higher TDP CPU in most cases, but you may (or may not) have some eventual heat/power issues. I wouldn't OC such a system and I would keep an eye on system temps.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Nope, you can't use an AM2+ mobo with an AM3+ CPU in this case. There are electrical differences between the AM3+ socket and previous versions.

With your existing config, the system will work with the higher TDP CPU in most cases, but you may (or may not) have some eventual heat/power issues. I wouldn't OC such a system and I would keep an eye on system temps.

Solution

nevadead

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Could you recommend a fairly inexpensive upgrade for a mobo?

my temperatures are cpu 35 mainboard 25 videocard 33 harddisk 36 fan speed 3042 rpm

runningskyrim minamized
cpu 41 main 32 gpu 37 fan 3042

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Only CPU's till AM3 are supported. The new FX chips are all AM3+ CPU's. It won't work on your motherboard.
According to your link, your mobo DOES support 125W phenom II x4's. Scroll about 80% down on that CPU list:)

FYI, an AM3+ chip will work officially only on an AM3+ motherboard.
An AM3 chip can work on AM2+, AM3 as well as AM3+ motherboards.

nevadead

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

it's an Anthlon :heink:
CPU Anthlon 64 X2 dual core 3.00 Ghz
not a phenom did you mean anthlon?

nevadead

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

what is your opinion of the crossfire system?
I've read that it's demands more power two run two gpus and I'd rather be on the conservative yet nice and fairly shiny graphics
anyone else?

nevadead

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

agreed. Thank you both for your time!
Those mobos look like great deals, much obliged!
I think I'll grab a -wait the chipset matches your recommended mobos for the fx cpu?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Should be okay. If I may, I would recommend this one instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095