Sign in with
Your question

Computer restarts while playing games!

Last response: in CPUs
October 5, 2012 3:13:44 PM

Hi everyone,

While playing games such as borderlands, counter strike, and pretty much anything else, my computer will just randomly power off within the first hour. It shuts off and back on again and while its POSTing it shuts off again and its an endless cycle until I just leave it off for a while.

I'm not sure when this started because I just started playing pc games again.

Here is what I have tried to fix the problem:

Swapped graphics cards
Used different hard drives and ssd's
Cleaned the CPU, put new thermal paste on and reattached the aftermarket cooler
Swapped motherboards

Here is a list of my system specs and when I got the parts:

Intel core 2 duo E7400 - got it 4 years ago
ASUS P5QL PRO LGA775 - bought refurbished on eBay a month ago
OCZ agility 3 90gb ssd - 3 weeks old
Western digital caviar blue 360gb hdd - 4 years old
Rose will R700 watt psu - 2 years old
Rosewill challenger case - 2 years old
EVGA gtx460 - 2 years old

More about : computer restarts playing games

a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 3:18:19 PM

It's probably your PSU. You could try testing gaming with a different PSU to see if this is the problem.
m
l
October 5, 2012 3:22:13 PM

do you think a psu could be going bad already?? its hardly 2 years old
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 3:29:08 PM

Bzoucha said:
do you think a psu could be going bad already?? its hardly 2 years old

Yes, I do. It isn't a great quality unit and 2 years isn't too bad for such a PSU, especially considering that if its a 700W model, you were badly under-utilizing it, increasing wear and tear almost as badly as overusing it. Underusing a PSU greatly can cause damage to the transformer(s) over time. You should always get a PSU that you will use between about 35% and 75% load to avoid such issues with under-utilization and over-utilization.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 3:29:44 PM

Its a Rosewill, which is a crap brand. So yeah, I blame the PSU.
m
l
October 5, 2012 5:02:54 PM

thank you, the psu got good review when i bought it but i had no idea you could have too much wattage, note taken. I have a 450 watt power supply attached to my old case, do you think i could try that out and have it be ok?
m
l
a c 233 à CPUs
October 5, 2012 5:08:48 PM

You can't ahve too much wattage. As a matter of fact, PSU's hit the best efficiency point at 50% load. But it is a Rosewill ... the "Walmart brand" of PSU's.

I'd replace the PSU even if the machine was running fine.....but I'd do two other things as I suspect temps and / or voltages may be an issue:

1. Remove the GFX card and blow out the fan are to remove any accumulated dust. Hit the rest of the PC while you are at it.

2. Download an run OCCT. Monitor both voltages and temp for an hour (utility will graph results) while running the CPU and GPU tests. I would not attempt the PSU test w/ a Rosewill PSU.

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 6:33:35 PM

Bzoucha said:
thank you, the psu got good review when i bought it but i had no idea you could have too much wattage, note taken. I have a 450 watt power supply attached to my old case, do you think i could try that out and have it be ok?

Any PSU that comes with a case is probably even worse than a Rosewill.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 6:42:05 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
You can't ahve too much wattage. As a matter of fact, PSU's hit the best efficiency point at 50% load. But it is a Rosewill ... the "Walmart brand" of PSU's.

I'd replace the PSU even if the machine was running fine.....but I'd do two other things as I suspect temps and / or voltages may be an issue:

1. Remove the GFX card and blow out the fan are to remove any accumulated dust. Hit the rest of the PC while you are at it.

2. Download an run OCCT. Monitor both voltages and temp for an hour (utility will graph results) while running the CPU and GPU tests. I would not attempt the PSU test w/ a Rosewill PSU.

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download

Not having enough is worse than having far too much, but there is such thing as too high of a power supply. As a PSU gets linearly closer to 0% load when active, the transformer acts exponentially more like a Tesla coil (meaning that going from say 50% down to 25% load is not nearly as bad as going from 20% to 10% or a similar example) and this damages it over time. Poor quality PSUs such as Rosewill's PSUs are usually more impacted by this problem than a unit the high quality lines. People who get high-quality high-wattage PSUs that are overkill in power delivery are less likely to have severe problems in a reasonable amount of time than people who buy lower quality PSUs that are still overkill in power delivery.

This is a problem inherent, albeit not in equal severity, in all computer power supplies.
m
l
October 5, 2012 8:27:09 PM

luciferano said:
Not having enough is worse than having far too much, but there is such thing as too high of a power supply. As a PSU gets linearly closer to 0% load when active, the transformer acts exponentially more like a Tesla coil (meaning that going from say 50% down to 25% load is not nearly as bad as going from 20% to 10% or a similar example) and this damages it over time. Poor quality PSUs such as Rosewill's PSUs are usually more impacted by this problem than a unit the high quality lines. People who get high-quality high-wattage PSUs that are overkill in power delivery are less likely to have severe problems in a reasonable amount of time than people who buy lower quality PSUs that are still overkill in power delivery.

This is a problem inherent, albeit not in equal severity, in all computer power supplies.

wow i had no idea but you sound like you know what you're talking about. I am planning on upgrading to an ivy bridge i5 3470 with 8 gb of ram and keeping my same video card and possibly using a 9600gt as a physx card if possible. How much wattage do you think that would take and could you recommend a quality psu for as cheap as possible? thanks
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2012 11:58:58 PM

Bzoucha said:
wow i had no idea but you sound like you know what you're talking about. I am planning on upgrading to an ivy bridge i5 3470 with 8 gb of ram and keeping my same video card and possibly using a 9600gt as a physx card if possible. How much wattage do you think that would take and could you recommend a quality psu for as cheap as possible? thanks

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-neoeco5...

I think that this PSU would be ideal for what you're talking about. I'm just not sure of how well a 9600 GT will manage, even as a PhysX processing card.
m
l
October 6, 2012 6:03:36 AM

Ordered the psu for $45 and free 2 day shipping

Hope this works
m
l
!