Sign in with
Your question

Asus hd 6950 directcu II stuttering low fps and weird noise

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 9, 2012 7:59:29 PM

So I bought a new pc with the Asus hd 6950 direct cu II 2GB DDR5 card and notice while playing Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 I get stuttering and low fps for a second or 2. The FPS drops to 1-2 and climbs up to 60 again but nothing really stable. So I've been reading a whole lot on this forum and it seems like a common problem but with no real fix so far as I can tell.

Here is what I've done so far :
updated bios
Updated drivers catalyst too
unparked the cores
tried low and ultra high settings still the same issue
AA off or on doesn't change anything

Mysterious noise issue : when I play skyrim it kinda makes a loud processor sound but when I return the PC to the shop the guys said it was not normal.

What they did :
Change the power supply no change
Put in an Nvidia card ( don't remember which ) noise was still there but the FPS issue was gone.....

Now what they are telling me is maybe the card as a defect or the noise is the source of the problem but the way the tech guy talked it was like by fixing the noise issue the FPS issue will be gone. In my humble opinion it felt like he had no idea what the problem was and was trying to tell me anything so I can leave.

My question is there a fix for that FPS problem? Should I ask for them to put in a similar Nvidia card instead or just ask my money back and go to another shop to buy a PC?

For the get my money back arguments are : I asked for a PC to play games and watch HD movies with HDMI output to which I got the Asus 6950 with no HDMI ports and displayports that are hard to find on TV or monitors for the moment and to partition my hard disks like follows 1 50 GB partition and the rest divided and 6 EQUAL partition which they didn't. The first power supply that was supposed to go in wasn't compatible with the graphic cards. So with all these problems happenning I'm not an happy customer .

PC
600w cooler master power supply
AMD FX4100 3.6
ASUS M5A97
SEAGATE 500 GB
ASUS HD 6590 DIRECTCU II 2GB DDR5
WIN 7 HOME PREM 64
KVR 1333 4 GB KINGSTON X2
April 9, 2012 8:20:22 PM

You asked for a gaming system to watch movies on and they set you up with a FX4100?? Ouch, that's the worst possible choice for a gaming cpu.

I'd get my money back if they can't make it work right. As for the noise, I don't know what you mean by "loud processor sound", processors don't make any sound cause they have no moving parts. The only thing I can think of that would make noise is the hard disk and a noisy hard disk usually means a bad hard disk.
m
l
April 9, 2012 8:36:53 PM

geekapproved said:
You asked for a gaming system to watch movies on and they set you up with a FX4100?? Ouch, that's the worst possible choice for a gaming cpu.

I'd get my money back if they can't make it work right. As for the noise, I don't know what you mean by "loud processor sound", processors don't make any sound cause they have no moving parts. The only thing I can think of that would make noise is the hard disk and a noisy hard disk usually means a bad hard disk.

Well that is really nice to know that makes another point to get my money back. So what would be better than the FX4100 for gaming with similar price range? I'll ask for them to change it to that at no cost if they don't want to return my money.

It is a weird noise the guys didn't know where it came from but one guy and I quote said : I've heard processors do similar noises before.

Since english isn't my first language it is kind of hard to describe it but here goes. It could be similar to a hard disk noise but with higher pitch?!? Something weird was that while playing the noise gets louder and when you paused the game it would stop.
m
l
Related resources
April 9, 2012 9:11:11 PM

Hmm...very strange that the cpu makes noise.

I would change it to a i3-2120 ($113 amazon) and a Asrock H61/H67 ($55-70)mobo. Should be similiar in price. Yes it's a dual core, but it's much faster in just about everything, especially gaming than a FX4100.

It also uses a lot less power and has integrated cpu graphics which makes it nice when troubleshooting video card issues.

Here's Tom's $650 system builder pc.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-gaming-pc-ove...

FX4100 vs. i3-2100 (200mhz slower than 2120)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-210...

Overclocked FX-4100/6100 vs. i3-2100 vs. Pentium G

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
April 9, 2012 9:22:29 PM

NOISE:
Some components can generate a high frequency whine. It's probably on the graphics card.

Why don't you take the side of the case of so you can isolate the sound?

The stuttering might be the normal stutter caused when a computer has VSYNC ON and drops below 60FPS. You can test this two ways:

1) disable VSYNC (if possible)
2) turn down the quality as low as possible to see if the stuttering still exists.

If the main stutter is VSYNC related there are three options:
1) use FRAPS to adjust your frame rate to about 70 to 80FPS, then turn on VSYNC
2) disable VSYNC
3) Use RadeonPro and use the double VSYNC option which will VSYNC at 30FPS instead of 60FPS.

Sorry for your problems.

HDMI:
Do you have an DVI->HDMI adapter for that card? These adapters only pass certain audio codecs like Dolby Digital that's decoded on the graphics card so it's mainly for video. There are no game sounds. You'd need HDMI output direct from the motherboard for that, or an optical output from the motherboard or sound card to a receiver.
m
l
April 9, 2012 10:06:44 PM

Reading those reviews and such I think I really got screwed over I paid 1201$ tax included for this rig. I'm really pissed at the moment.

I will ask for my money back or that they change the processor to an intel quad core and with a new mobo since reading reviews again it made not much sense to go with that since I don't know how to overclock if I keep it seems like I have to overclock it to have better performance. And I don't want to pay a dime more because of their mistakes in understanding my needs or basic knowledge of what they are selling.
m
l
April 9, 2012 10:08:14 PM

I would like to test all of your tips but I can't at the moment since the PC is at the shop while they try and figure out the weird noise issue but I will try them if I take the Pc back
m
l
April 9, 2012 10:26:23 PM

geekapproved said:
If you can get your money back your talking more like the $1250 System Builder from Tom's. Get a friend to put it together for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-budget-o...

yup exactly but I though I would not get the hassle of building myself and choosing the wrong parts but it seems like some people are paid to make those mistakes instead lesson learned.

Last PC I bought was a Dell worked fine and all what I didn't like was the price so for that one I though I'd go to a place that know their stuff but again I was wrong..... Oh well I guess the third time it will be better
m
l
April 10, 2012 8:34:58 AM

Hello,

I think i have about the same issue. Did not try in game but my PC works really bad with this card installed.

Regarding Noise: your noise comes from switching supplies found on ASUS card. Those supply sources work on high frequencies and in certain loads you can hear some noise. The noise could be higher (pitch) or lower depending on the load.
Normally, this should not affect your performance, unless your PC source struggles on keeping the board alive.

I think your problem comes from the GPU overheating. My feeling is that service guy did not handled the board correctly when installed it and the heat sink shifted a bit from the initial position.
Because of the overheat, the GPU throttles when it reaches high temperature and it almost stops its clocks in order to cool. After it is cooled, your FPS gets back to normal.

Perhaps you shall try some testing with Furmark to see if you can reproduce the issue. If you can reproduce, you can easily go to them and change the board (Furmark logs the GPU temperature during the test)
m
l
April 18, 2012 10:43:49 PM

I forgot completly about this but the service guy fixed the issues now everything is working fine I run skyrim on ultra with everything maxed out with no problems. From what they told me it was problems with SmartDoctor and GamerOSD that messes up with the cards frequencies or something.

The noise came from the power supply now all I'm hearing is the processor's fan really quiet now
m
l
!