Sign in with
Your question

Should I worry about static damaging my parts?

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2012 6:02:52 PM

I hope this is the correct forum category for this. This is my first time building a PC and I have all the parts sitting in my dining room, including the static wrist band I bought, but I have no idea where to attach it.

There is hardly any metal in my house. I have a laptop currently that is plugged into a power supply, but I think it is painted metal. And there are very few plugs, which are either too far away from my work area or have the power strip plugged into them.

Work area is in dining room with wood floors and a wood table, and I can easily build this barefoot and with minimal clothing. I don't live in a dry environment and don't think I've ever felt a static shock while living here, but I've read all these warnings about static issues so I bought the wrist band as a precaution.

My case is the Corsair 500r which I think is all painted metal (but it's just sitting on my table, not grounded or anything), so I'm at a loss as to what to touch and/or where to attach this wrist strap. I googled this but all I found were detailed instructions on earth grounding principles, which I didn't understand.

Do I need to worry about static in my environment? Should I touch the painted case anyway, will it help at all?

More about : worry static damaging parts

June 7, 2012 6:33:54 PM

I have base board heating, which has a painted metal case around it. Would attaching the wristband to that work? Or would I need to remove the casing and attach it to the metal part underneath?

What shoes should I wear for a wood floor?
June 7, 2012 6:45:50 PM

penarddun said:
I hope this is the correct forum category for this. This is my first time building a PC and I have all the parts sitting in my dining room, including the static wrist band I bought, but I have no idea where to attach it.

There is hardly any metal in my house. I have a laptop currently that is plugged into a power supply, but I think it is painted metal. And there are very few plugs, which are either too far away from my work area or have the power strip plugged into them.

Work area is in dining room with wood floors and a wood table, and I can easily build this barefoot and with minimal clothing. I don't live in a dry environment and don't think I've ever felt a static shock while living here, but I've read all these warnings about static issues so I bought the wrist band as a precaution.

My case is the Corsair 500r which I think is all painted metal (but it's just sitting on my table, not grounded or anything), so I'm at a loss as to what to touch and/or where to attach this wrist strap. I googled this but all I found were detailed instructions on earth grounding principles, which I didn't understand.

Do I need to worry about static in my environment? Should I touch the painted case anyway, will it help at all?

I have that case, and even though it is black, just touch the edges of the case.
Related resources
June 7, 2012 6:51:37 PM

I'll avoid the fluffy gown, darn. The baseboard has metal fins inside, so I think I'm good to go for that. And the wrist band seems like it will just reach from there. I doubt I can electrocute myself with the baseboard, I hope not. I feel safer doing that then trying to attach it to an outlet.

I would never have thought of the radiator, thank you so much!
June 7, 2012 7:21:16 PM

Just touch the case before you touch hardware and you'll be fine. I've built close to 150 computers in much worse conditions and touch the chassis before I touch the hardware. Never killed a component due to static discharge.

I also do various projects of electronic engineering work with my job and we don't have a single electro-static strap in the building. Although useful, not really all that necessary.
June 7, 2012 7:52:32 PM

just touch the case to discharge any static you might be carrying before you pick up the part to be inserted. If you want to use the wrist strap just connect that to the case and then to yourself. There is absolutely no need to connect the strap to a ground like a radiator. You just want a constant connection between you and the case.
!