P4 2.8 Processor not working on Asrock M266A

bgshankar1969

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi, All

My MOBO is Asrock M266A R 3.0X. Now it's running on Celeron 1.8 Ghz processor.

Recently I purchased a refurbished P4 2.8Ghz processor.

When I installed it on my MOBO, there was no display and no beep sounds.

Details

MOBO:
Asrock M266A R 3.0X
400/533 FSB
266MHz Ram

RAM:
Nanya 512 266Mhz

Processor:
P4 2.8
1M L2
533 FSB

I want to know what is the problem, my MOBO does not support this processor or are there any other problems?

Please advise.

PS: The processor is working on other Intel Board. I tried to confirm.

Solution
"PCB version R3.04 or higher" means that CPU is only supported on that version or higher motherboard so if your motherboard is R3.03 and below that CPU will not work on it. The PCB is the main circuitboard i.e. the motherboard. The PCB version should be screen printed onto the motherboard or willl be on a sticker on the motherboard. it may also be viewable in the BIOS. if you still have the motherboard box the revision number will be printed on there as well. if the motherbaoard has been upgraded with the latest BIOS and the CPU is not working you probebly have an old revision of the board. R3.0x that you have in your post points to intial revision of the baord that does not support that CPU.

bgshankar1969

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Thank you for reply. I've gone thru the web site and found the below along with others.

478* Pentium 4 n/a Prescott 2.80 GHz 533MHz 1MB All

According to this, my board support the processor I indicated.

There is *, it says "*The CPU with "*" mark are only supported with PCB version R3.04 or higher.". What does this mean.

bgshankar1969

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Thank you, I already updated bios to 2.40.

"PCB version R3.04 or higher" means that CPU is only supported on that version or higher motherboard so if your motherboard is R3.03 and below that CPU will not work on it. The PCB is the main circuitboard i.e. the motherboard. The PCB version should be screen printed onto the motherboard or willl be on a sticker on the motherboard. it may also be viewable in the BIOS. if you still have the motherboard box the revision number will be printed on there as well. if the motherbaoard has been upgraded with the latest BIOS and the CPU is not working you probebly have an old revision of the board. R3.0x that you have in your post points to intial revision of the baord that does not support that CPU.

Solution

bgshankar1969

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

I've searched on my MOBO for PCB version, it say's just ASROCK M266A R 3.0. But at post it's showing R 3.0X.
It means, original board is just 3.0 and as I updated BIOS, it's showing 3.0X at post.

Now I understood, why it's not working.

Thank you all of you for kind help.

One more small question.

As you people know what my MOBO is, could you please suggest me a P4 processor, which works for sure.