Poor radeon 7850 performance

waffleMONSTER10

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
new msi radeon 7850 at stock OC clock speeds gets poor performance in many games such as fallout 3 where its only "playable" with over 30fps average at medium settings and at 1280 by 800. i recently upgraded from a nvidia 8800gt where it would run at 1680 by 1050 at ultra at about 40fps average. i have tried reinstalling windows incase it was a driver problem but at no avail. my system is a core 2 quad 4gb ram seagate 500gb barracuda 7200rpm drive and the msi radeon 7850

waffleMONSTER10

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
i am using the latest amd control center drivers 12.3 and am also using the latest ones for fallout and other games as they are from steam. this issue is also weird as when i manually put the settings to ultra as it should, i started seeing artefacts in the game such as lines around objects in purple and green.

kyraiki

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
I would RMA it for a replacement and see if the issue came up again with a new card. If it does, try a different vendor. Didn't the review on here say they encountered problems when testing the 7850?

waffleMONSTER10

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
yeah i think it might be a problem with the card as well. it seems to render text in games funny as well, as though chunks of each letter has been removed. i have an antec earth watts ea500(not the d version) and it has served me in good stead with my previous card which worked fine and only drew a few watts less. has anyone else had this kind of problem? is it early drivers or perhaps something more serious? ( oh and the performance of the card CAN be pretty good, max on crysis 2 with dx11 and at good fps on ultra)

It sounds like it might be overheating.
Games vary in the amount of heat they use even if the graphics card is being used fully so one game might cause heat artifacts and another might not.

You could try LOWERING the clock speed, or maybe temporarily lowering the game settings with VSYNC on which should limit the heat. See if artifacts still exist.

It's odd that some games work quite well though. It makes me think there may be a software issue like drivers.

Try some benchmark apps as well like the 3DMark series.

Rexcellent

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012

I'm guessing it's a defective card. I have exactly the same card running 1280x720, but I'm playing Skyrim (same developer, same engine as FO3). I'm using Ultra settings, HD Textures, and uGrids set to 9, and frame rates are in the 45-60fps range. Using 12.3 drivers.

So far, I'm pleased with the manufacturer (MSI) and the chipset (AMD 7850). I haven't fired-up FO3 in quite some time, but I'll try it and see what I get.