Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best phone for Business???

Last response: in Brands
Share
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 4:30:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and 6230
(which I use for everything else but business). I am looking for something
with the facilities of the 6600 ie. can hold several telephone numbers, fax
numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc, for each contact and a good
diary. Sony Ericcssons I know dont hold addresses so they are out of the
running. And I dont want to carry a "brick". Many Thanks.

--
The Queen

More about : phone business

Anonymous
June 11, 2004 9:10:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"TheQueen" <nonono@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<caauel$he4$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and 6230
> (which I use for everything else but business). I am looking for something
> with the facilities of the 6600 ie. can hold several telephone numbers, fax
> numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc, for each contact and a good
> diary. Sony Ericcssons I know dont hold addresses so they are out of the
> running. And I dont want to carry a "brick". Many Thanks.

Hello.

Undoubtedly the best business Nokia phone is 6600.

Best regards, Oleg Fyodorov.
Oxygen Software - tools for your Nokia.
Oxygen Phone Manager II - all you want from your Nokia.
support@oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk
June 11, 2004 10:20:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:30:13 +0000 (UTC), "TheQueen"
<nonono@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and 6230
>(which I use for everything else but business). I am looking for something
>with the facilities of the 6600 ie. can hold several telephone numbers, fax
>numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc, for each contact and a good
>diary. Sony Ericcssons I know dont hold addresses so they are out of the
>running. And I dont want to carry a "brick". Many Thanks.

Nokia 6310i

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Related resources
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 3:55:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

> Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and 6230

I would suggest that the Nokia 6310i is the standard business phone.
However, I also use a Sony Ericsson P900 which has better diary functions
and email. The contact management is also more extensive than the 6310i.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 5:45:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:10:39 -0700, Oxygen Software wrote:

> "TheQueen" <nonono@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> news:<caauel$he4$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
>> Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and
>> 6230 (which I use for everything else but business). I am looking for
>> something with the facilities of the 6600 ie. can hold several telephone
>> numbers, fax numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc, for each
>> contact and a good diary. Sony Ericcssons I know dont hold addresses so
>> they are out of the running. And I dont want to carry a "brick". Many
>> Thanks.
>
> Hello.
>
> Undoubtedly the best business Nokia phone is 6600.

It's got a camera, which immediately makes it NO good to me as a business
phone.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 5:45:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

> Hello.
>
> Undoubtedly the best business Nokia phone is 6600.

Hello yourself, I think you've been at the drinks cabinet a bit early if you
think that the Nokia 6600 is the best business Nokia ... but then to add
undoubtedly!
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 5:54:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:30:13 +0000, TheQueen wrote:

> Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and 6230
> (which I use for everything else but business). I am looking for
> something with the facilities of the 6600 ie. can hold several telephone
> numbers, fax numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc, for each
> contact and a good diary. Sony Ericcssons I know dont hold addresses so
> they are out of the running. And I dont want to carry a "brick". Many
> Thanks.

Nokia 6310i ... Nuff said.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
June 11, 2004 7:49:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

being sarcastic right?
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 7:57:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cacgor$4s4$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
> being sarcastic right?
>
>

I agree with michael turners comment (that you cut out) that if it has a
camera then it is no good for some business users.

I can only use phones for my business that do NOT contain a camera due to a
large number of secure sites that I visit having a strict "NO CAMERA" policy
(and when I as strict, I mean STRICT).

John..
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 9:17:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Joe" <joe_g_g(spam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:cacgor$4s4$1@news5.svr.pol.co.uk...
> being sarcastic right?

Is who being sarcastic?

Try leaving some attribution in, and people may have a clue what you're on
about.

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> http://www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 9:23:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"TheQueen" <nonono@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<caauel$he4$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
> Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and 6230
> (which I use for everything else but business). I am looking for something
> with the facilities of the 6600 ie. can hold several telephone numbers, fax
> numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc, for each contact and a good
> diary. Sony Ericcssons I know dont hold addresses so they are out of the
> running. And I dont want to carry a "brick". Many Thanks.

I like the 8310 still! But I'd probably go for a 6310i (sorry to go
with the crowd- but they seem to be right!)
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 9:29:18 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"TheQueen" <nonono@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
news:caauel$he4$1@titan.btinternet.com...
> Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and 6230
> (which I use for everything else but business). I am looking for
something
> with the facilities of the 6600 ie. can hold several telephone numbers,
fax
> numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc, for each contact and a
good
> diary. Sony Ericcssons I know dont hold addresses so they are out of the
> running. And I dont want to carry a "brick". Many Thanks.
>
> --
> The Queen
>

If you need to store a LOT of data (like me) then an SD card enabled
smartphone like the Treo 600 is the way to go. You will need to purchase one
of dozens of third-party contact management software to make best use of it.
I use and view a lot of web content offline, so having more than 512MB
available is essential. There are dozens of great diaries available for the
Palm OS. It's also quad-band which is useful if you travel to the USA.
I need to enter a lot of data, so the thumboard is far more important to me
than a larger screen.

If cameras are banned in the workplace, I think a non-camera Treo is coming
out soon-ish.

I think I can store a few million addresses and web pages on a 2gb MMC or SD
card!

If you dont need many addresses and want a good battery life the no-nonsense
phone almost everyone here recommends is the 6310i.

The P800 and P900 aren't bad, but are a bit expensive and don't have
thumboards built-in and are limited to 128MB. If you don't require very
large amounts of data then 128 MB should be fine.




---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.701 / Virus Database: 458 - Release Date: 08/06/2004
June 11, 2004 10:23:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

nonono@bigfoot.com had a brainwave and did spout the following:
> Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and 6230
> (which I use for everything else but business). I am looking for something
> with the facilities of the 6600 ie. can hold several telephone numbers, fax
> numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc, for each contact and a good
> diary. Sony Ericcssons I know dont hold addresses so they are out of the
> running. And I dont want to carry a "brick". Many Thanks.

My SonyEricsson P900 handles addresses quite nicely, aswell as around 40
other fields per contact.

You cold investigate the Orange SPV-E200 or the Motorola MPx-200. Both
are microsoft-based devices which integrate seamlessly with outlook and
sync takes seconds over the USB link.

The MPx-200 is available at a reduced price this weekend at Orange
Shops.
--
www.unlockingshop.co.uk
T610 unlock/unbrand/upgrade - £15
Motorola Vxxx and Cxxx unlocking - £10
Sagem unlocking - £15 (most models)
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 1:53:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

In response to Michael Turner's comment that having a camera
automatically rules a phone out of the "best for business" category,
Joe wrote:

> being sarcastic right?

Not even remotely sarcastic, I'd guess. Not only do lots of business
premises ban phones, but according to this report --

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3793501.stm

even Samsung has done this -- and Sprint has released a camera-less
Treo 600.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
June 12, 2004 3:23:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

michael turner wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:30:13 +0000, TheQueen wrote:
>
>>Whats the best business phone in your opinion. <snip>
>
> Nokia 6310i ... Nuff said.

Elaborate please? I'll have one for sale next week, but I haven't used
it. Why is it considered the best business phone?
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 1:15:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

In article <40c9c866$0$13204$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>, Nospam
<URL:mailto:nospam@please.co.uk> wrote:

> I can only use phones for my business that do NOT contain a camera due to a
> large number of secure sites that I visit having a strict "NO CAMERA" policy
> (and when I as strict, I mean STRICT).

We had the same situation with visits to GCHQ. However, the phone wasn't
allowed either, which sort of made it academic. :-)

--
AJL Electronics (G6FGO) Ltd : Satellite and TV aerial systems
http://www.classicmicrocars.co.uk : http://www.ajlelectronics.co.uk
June 12, 2004 1:30:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:15:12 +0100, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"
<me8@privacy.net> wrote:

>In article <40c9c866$0$13204$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>, Nospam
><URL:mailto:nospam@please.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I can only use phones for my business that do NOT contain a camera due to a
>> large number of secure sites that I visit having a strict "NO CAMERA" policy
>> (and when I as strict, I mean STRICT).
>
>We had the same situation with visits to GCHQ. However, the phone wasn't
>allowed either, which sort of made it academic. :-)

There are still parts of GCHQ you can access with a phone depending on
your clearance level but camera phones I believe are banned in many if
not all parts.

Mark
Anonymous
June 12, 2004 8:17:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

I have been positively surprised by the Palm One Treo 600. It has a full
featured PDA, "one hand user interface" phone and a nice QWERTY keyboard in
about the same size as the SE P900. And if you can get one without a camera,
then I'd go for that.

I think Series 60 phones such as the Nokia 6600 / 7610 or Siemens SX1 are
decent business phones, but they don't match may needs since the calendar is
very limited compared to the default calendar Palm Os, Pocket PC or UIQ (SE
P800/P900). I've hoped since the 7650 that Nokia would put a more business
capable calendar on their Series 60 platform.

It's quite interesting that many organizations and enterprises are banning
camera phones, and the flagship enterprise model Nokia 9500 Communicator has
got one. Maybe they will announce a version without camera too.

--
Tero Lehto
http://lehto.net/tero/
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 5:08:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Admin@oxygensoftware.com (Oxygen Software) wrote:

>"TheQueen" <nonono@bigfoot.com> wrote in message news:<caauel$he4$1@titan.btinternet.com>...
>> Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and 6230
>> (which I use for everything else but business). I am looking for something
>> with the facilities of the 6600 ie. can hold several telephone numbers, fax
>> numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc, for each contact and a good
>> diary. Sony Ericcssons I know dont hold addresses so they are out of the
>> running. And I dont want to carry a "brick". Many Thanks.

> Undoubtedly the best business Nokia phone is 6600.

Why? He asked for a business phone, not the most gimmicky phone.

--
>iv< Paul >iv<
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 5:12:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:49:03 +0100, Joe wrote:

> being sarcastic right?

Nope ... I'm being serious.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
June 13, 2004 5:12:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"TheQueen" <nonono@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>Whats the best business phone in your opinion. I have nokia 6600 and 6230
>(which I use for everything else but business). I am looking for something
>with the facilities of the 6600 ie. can hold several telephone numbers, fax
>numbers, email addresses, postal addresses etc, for each contact and a good
>diary. Sony Ericcssons I know dont hold addresses so they are out of the
>running. And I dont want to carry a "brick". Many Thanks.

The Nokia 6310i is pretty much the de facto standard business phone.

It does everything you want and has all the key business features
(good phonebook, easy of use, robust, good battery life, tri-band etc)
without all the "unnecessary" features such as camera, colour screen,
picture messaging etc. It also the only handset I'm aware of which is
supported by all major car manufacturers.

I personally prefer the 6100 which is similar in features but smaller,
lighter and has a colour screen. Were it not for the lack of
BlueTooth either the 6100 or the 6610 would probably be the natural
replacement for the 6310i.


--
>iv< Paul >iv<
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 12:38:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Paul Hopwood skrev:

> The Nokia 6310i is pretty much the de facto standard business phone.

In Norway the 6610 (and now probably the 6610i) has started to take
over as the 6310i is not available anymore (too bad really) :-(

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605

Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 3:28:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
news:p an.2004.06.13.12.10.59.134000@ivetva.arg...
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:23:18 +0100, Steve wrote:
> > michael turner wrote:
> >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:30:13 +0000, TheQueen wrote:
> >>
> >>>Whats the best business phone in your opinion. <snip>
> >>
> >> Nokia 6310i ... Nuff said.
<snip>
> But it do have data connectivity(internal modem), Bluetooth,
> iRDA, tri-band, excellent battery life, Java, good contact management,
> good signal handling, and an excellent car-kit.
> Michael Turner
>
and probably the most reliable phone Nokia have ever made,
I've two of them and neither have had to see a CNSC
(Touch wood)

Steve Terry
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 3:44:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:28:15 +0100, "Steve Terry"
<g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote:

>"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
>news:p an.2004.06.13.12.10.59.134000@ivetva.arg...
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:23:18 +0100, Steve wrote:
>> > michael turner wrote:
>> >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:30:13 +0000, TheQueen wrote:
>> >>
>> >>>Whats the best business phone in your opinion. <snip>
>> >>
>> >> Nokia 6310i ... Nuff said.
><snip>
>> But it do have data connectivity(internal modem), Bluetooth,
>> iRDA, tri-band, excellent battery life, Java, good contact management,
>> good signal handling, and an excellent car-kit.
>> Michael Turner
>>
>and probably the most reliable phone Nokia have ever made,
>I've two of them and neither have had to see a CNSC
>(Touch wood)
>
>Steve Terry
>


if by reliable you mean stable firmware, how come 6310i's need the
latest firmware to work good with bluetooth?
June 14, 2004 3:44:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:44:49 +0100, eggster2k
<eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote:

>if by reliable you mean stable firmware, how come 6310i's need the
>latest firmware to work good with bluetooth?

That's what a firmware upgrade is *supposed* to do i.e. to fix
useability problems and fix bugs. Most all phones have firmware
upgrades. Usually the upgrade will fix bugs but often it will add
features as well e.g. the various updates to firmware fixed certain
bugs, but also changed the ability to add personal ringtones from 5 to
10. Look at the firmware upgrade version on some phones that go up to
10.something.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 12:44:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:37:13 -0700, Joseph
<JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:44:49 +0100, eggster2k
><eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote:
>
>>if by reliable you mean stable firmware, how come 6310i's need the
>>latest firmware to work good with bluetooth?
>
>That's what a firmware upgrade is *supposed* to do i.e. to fix
>useability problems and fix bugs. Most all phones have firmware
>upgrades. Usually the upgrade will fix bugs but often it will add
>features as well e.g. the various updates to firmware fixed certain
>bugs, but also changed the ability to add personal ringtones from 5 to
>10. Look at the firmware upgrade version on some phones that go up to
>10.something.
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply


i know what firmware is, i've used phones long enough now! If a phone
is reliable though it shouldn't need a firmware upgrade to make it
work good with something! It should just work..

I've got a 7 year old Nokia 3110 which is used nightly with a voda off
peak 900 sim. The phone works 110% and has never been to a nokia
service centre! thats what reliable is!!!
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 1:30:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"eggster2k" <eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote in message
news:nhlqc05cg3dhvotfettbem4jhm9peitjjd@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 18:37:13 -0700, Joseph
> <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.NONOcom> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:44:49 +0100, eggster2k
> ><eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote:
> >
> >>if by reliable you mean stable firmware, how come 6310i's need the
> >>latest firmware to work good with bluetooth?
> >
> >That's what a firmware upgrade is *supposed* to do i.e. to fix
> >useability problems and fix bugs. Most all phones have firmware
> >upgrades. Usually the upgrade will fix bugs but often it will add
> >features as well e.g. the various updates to firmware fixed certain
> >bugs, but also changed the ability to add personal ringtones from 5 to
> >10. Look at the firmware upgrade version on some phones that go up to
> >10.something.
> >
> >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> > remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
>
>
> i know what firmware is, i've used phones long enough now! If a phone
> is reliable though it shouldn't need a firmware upgrade to make it
> work good with something! It should just work..
>
> I've got a 7 year old Nokia 3110 which is used nightly with a voda off
> peak 900 sim. The phone works 110% and has never been to a nokia
> service centre! thats what reliable is!!!

What you mean is that the bugs which are in the software have not be noticed
by you.

The bluetooth bug in the earlier versions of 6310i software have not caused
me any problems with my use of Bluetooth but it is a problem to some people
and Nokia has sorted it out (I believe).

John..
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 2:11:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"eggster2k" <eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote in message
news:v3mpc0ts8a8f97ark1bm9kq8rshlflpc3m@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:28:15 +0100, "Steve Terry"
> <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote:
> >"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
> >news:p an.2004.06.13.12.10.59.134000@ivetva.arg...
> >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:23:18 +0100, Steve wrote:
> >> > michael turner wrote:
> >> >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:30:13 +0000, TheQueen wrote:
> >> >>
> >> >>>Whats the best business phone in your opinion. <snip>
> >> >>
> >> >> Nokia 6310i ... Nuff said.
> ><snip>
> >and probably the most reliable phone Nokia have ever made,
> >I've two of them and neither have had to see a CNSC
> >(Touch wood)
> >Steve Terry
>
> if by reliable you mean stable firmware, how come 6310i's need the
> latest firmware to work good with bluetooth?
>
The first year of firmware is always Beta on Nokia.
It take that long for Nokia to get the kid who writes it away from his PS2 ;-)

Steve Terry
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 2:49:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 22:11:14 +0100, "Steve Terry"
<g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote:

>"eggster2k" <eggster2k@NOSPAMbreathe.com> wrote in message
>news:v3mpc0ts8a8f97ark1bm9kq8rshlflpc3m@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 23:28:15 +0100, "Steve Terry"
>> <g4wwk@despammed.com> wrote:
>> >"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
>> >news:p an.2004.06.13.12.10.59.134000@ivetva.arg...
>> >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 23:23:18 +0100, Steve wrote:
>> >> > michael turner wrote:
>> >> >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:30:13 +0000, TheQueen wrote:
>> >> >>
>> >> >>>Whats the best business phone in your opinion. <snip>
>> >> >>
>> >> >> Nokia 6310i ... Nuff said.
>> ><snip>
>> >and probably the most reliable phone Nokia have ever made,
>> >I've two of them and neither have had to see a CNSC
>> >(Touch wood)
>> >Steve Terry
>>
>> if by reliable you mean stable firmware, how come 6310i's need the
>> latest firmware to work good with bluetooth?
>>
>The first year of firmware is always Beta on Nokia.
>It take that long for Nokia to get the kid who writes it away from his PS2 ;-)
>
good one :-) . I remember the bugs the 6610 had when it first came
out, one good one was the caller group bug where if a caller was in a
group the backlight wouldn't come on!!
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:07:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Paul Hopwood" <paul@hopwood.org.uk> wrote in message
news:t5goc09lpn2cjemk6sa862h37uuvtrrphh@4ax.com...
> "TheQueen" <nonono@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>

> It does everything you want and has all the key business features
> (good phonebook, easy of use, robust, good battery life, tri-band etc)
> without all the "unnecessary" features such as camera, colour screen,
> picture messaging etc. It also the only handset I'm aware of which is
> supported by all major car manufacturers.
>
>

How do people find that manufacturers branded carkits compare with the
CARK91? I'm probably going to be changing cars by the end of the year, and
the model I am almost certainly going to be getting, doesn't seem to have
too many spaces to fit the Nokia cradle (Toyota Corolla "old" shape) without
drilling holes in the dash - which I'd like to avoid if possible.

On the other hand, the Toyoya brochure for fully fitted jobbies looks like a
good avenue to follow, and the picture on the front cover is of a 6210 in a
cradle that isn't far removed from the CARK91. On this basis, part of my
"shopping around" will include comparing CARK91 fitting options with
something Toyota-branded.

Thanks for any pointers.

--
Jon Pitts
Email:jon@pitts50.co.uk Attachments:files@pitts50.co.uk
ICQ:41410672 MSN: pitts_j@hotmail.com AIM:jonpittsaim
Yahoo Messenger: pittsjon Web: http://www.pitts50.co.uk
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 7:25:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Bill Gates" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<40c9a859$0$13763$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>...
> > Hello.
> >
> > Undoubtedly the best business Nokia phone is 6600.
>
> Hello yourself, I think you've been at the drinks cabinet a bit early if you
> think that the Nokia 6600 is the best business Nokia ... but then to add
> undoubtedly!

Hello.

I think you've been at the grass smoking cabinet a bit early if you
can't say neither any other arguments nor your own opinion about the
question being discussed.

Best regards, Oleg Fyodorov.
Oxygen Software - tools for your Nokia.
Oxygen Phone Manager II - all you want from your Nokia.
support@oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 8:04:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.11.12.45.19.225000@ivetva.arg>...
> >
> > Undoubtedly the best business Nokia phone is 6600.
>
> It's got a camera, which immediately makes it NO good to me as a business
> phone.

Hello.

Can you explain how the camera presence affects the business aspects
of 6600? It's just a useful add-on allowing to implement the perfect
idea of personal contact images. In my humble opinion the business
phone should comply with these requirements:
1. Has enough memory for storing 1000+ contacts.
2. Has advanced phonebook that can store several types of additional
contact information.
3. Has no restriction about number of phones of specified type per
contact.
4. Has advanced Calendar and To-Do functionality.
5. Has powerful Messaging system integrating all types of messages:
e-mail, SMS, MMS etc not limiting the maximum number of messages that
can be stored in phone.
6. Has advanced connection (Bluetooth, IR port, GPRS) and PC
synchronization capabilities.
7. Has not only WAP, but WWW browser.
8. Has expandable memory slots.
9. The last but not least. The business phone's features and
capabilities must be easily expandable by third-party software.

At this moment Nokia 6600 suits all these requirements better than
other Nokia models. The only weak place is Calendar, but our
experience shows that the Calendar application itself *can* process
complex events and non-standard recurrency, it just has no interface
to maintain such events. Therefore after adding this functionality to
the Symbian version of Oxygen Phone Manager, Nokia 6600 became the
ideal business phone for me.

Best regards, Oleg Fyodorov.
Oxygen Software - tools for your Nokia.
Oxygen Phone Manager II - all you want from your Nokia.
support@oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 4:22:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Oxygen Software" <Admin@oxygensoftware.com> wrote in message
news:69cf8b0b.0406150304.715d6216@posting.google.com...
> michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
news:<pan.2004.06.11.12.45.19.225000@ivetva.arg>...
> > >
> > > Undoubtedly the best business Nokia phone is 6600.
> >
> > It's got a camera, which immediately makes it NO good to me as a
business
> > phone.
>
> Hello.
>
> Can you explain how the camera presence affects the business aspects
> of 6600? It's just a useful add-on allowing to implement the perfect
> idea of personal contact images. In my humble opinion the business
> phone should comply with these requirements:

In some business's, such as the one I work in, we are NOT allowed on most
sites with a camera (of ANY type) and that includes phones with camera's
built in. They check EVERY person to ensure they comply.
Failure to comply will result in you being keep there (I'll let you work out
the types of places from that).

John..
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 7:43:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 12:22:32 +0100, Nospam <nospam@please.co.uk> wrote:
>
>"Oxygen Software" <Admin@oxygensoftware.com> wrote in message
>news:69cf8b0b.0406150304.715d6216@posting.google.com...
>> michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
>news:<pan.2004.06.11.12.45.19.225000@ivetva.arg>...
>> > >
>> > > Undoubtedly the best business Nokia phone is 6600.
>> >
>> > It's got a camera, which immediately makes it NO good to me as a
>business
>> > phone.
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> Can you explain how the camera presence affects the business aspects
>> of 6600? It's just a useful add-on allowing to implement the perfect
>> idea of personal contact images. In my humble opinion the business
>> phone should comply with these requirements:
>
>In some business's, such as the one I work in, we are NOT allowed on most
>sites with a camera (of ANY type) and that includes phones with camera's
>built in. They check EVERY person to ensure they comply.
>Failure to comply will result in you being keep there (I'll let you work out
>the types of places from that).

I'll second that.

Although I've got a V500 now, I've put my OVP-VM SIM into my 6310i which I
take to work...

--
-- Michael "Soruk" McConnell
Eridani MailStripper -- www.eridani.co.uk/MailStripper -- Uncovers Everything!
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 10:16:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 04:04:15 -0700, Oxygen Software wrote:

> michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.11.12.45.19.225000@ivetva.arg>...
>> >
>> > Undoubtedly the best business Nokia phone is 6600.
>>
>> It's got a camera, which immediately makes it NO good to me as a business
>> phone.
>
> Hello.
>
> Can you explain how the camera presence affects the business aspects
> of 6600?

It's already been discussed at length in this NG several times. A lot of
business, government, whatever establishments have NO CAMERA rules

Plus most people who genuinely needs a camera for their business, they
ain't goin' to bother with the shitty low-rez toys that most phones
seem to have. They tend to use _real_ cameras, either film or digital,
e.g. a lot of surveyers tend to use Polaroid instant-film cameras.

> It's just a useful add-on allowing to implement the perfect
> idea of personal contact images. In my humble opinion the business
> phone should comply with these requirements:
> 1. Has enough memory for storing 1000+ contacts.
> 2. Has advanced phonebook that can store several types of additional
> contact information.
> 3. Has no restriction about number of phones of specified type per
> contact.
> 4. Has advanced Calendar and To-Do functionality.
> 5. Has powerful Messaging system integrating all types of messages:
> e-mail, SMS, MMS etc not limiting the maximum number of messages that
> can be stored in phone.
> 6. Has advanced connection (Bluetooth, IR port, GPRS) and PC
> synchronization capabilities.
> 7. Has not only WAP, but WWW browser.
> 8. Has expandable memory slots.
> 9. The last but not least. The business phone's features and
> capabilities must be easily expandable by third-party software.
>
> At this moment Nokia 6600 suits all these requirements better than
> other Nokia models. The only weak place is Calendar, but our
> experience shows that the Calendar application itself *can* process
> complex events and non-standard recurrency, it just has no interface
> to maintain such events. Therefore after adding this functionality to
> the Symbian version of Oxygen Phone Manager,

Now if they did a NON-camera version of the 6600, it would be a
different story.

> Nokia 6600 became the
> ideal business phone for me.

Whatever suits you best.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
June 16, 2004 12:38:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"michael turner" <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> skrev i en meddelelse
news:p an.2004.06.15.17.16.18.745000@ivetva.arg...
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 04:04:15 -0700, Oxygen Software wrote:
>
> > michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
news:<pan.2004.06.11.12.45.19.225000@ivetva.arg>...
> >> >
> >> > Undoubtedly the best business Nokia phone is 6600.
> >>
> >> It's got a camera, which immediately makes it NO good to me as a
business
> >> phone.
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > Can you explain how the camera presence affects the business aspects
> > of 6600?
>
> It's already been discussed at length in this NG several times. A lot of
> business, government, whatever establishments have NO CAMERA rules
>
> Plus most people who genuinely needs a camera for their business, they
> ain't goin' to bother with the shitty low-rez toys that most phones
> seem to have. They tend to use _real_ cameras, either film or digital,
> e.g. a lot of surveyers tend to use Polaroid instant-film cameras.

Need to have, nice to have...... I think that most companys don't have a
policy about cameras,
my company, a bank, don't have, and often when I visit a customer I take
some shoots, shows them to the people at the office and file them. Very
usefull.

Peter
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 10:12:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Nospam" <nospam@please.co.uk> wrote in message news:<40cedbf9$0$6375$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>...
> > Can you explain how the camera presence affects the business aspects
> > of 6600? It's just a useful add-on allowing to implement the perfect
> > idea of personal contact images. In my humble opinion the business
> > phone should comply with these requirements:
>
> In some business's, such as the one I work in, we are NOT allowed on most
> sites with a camera (of ANY type) and that includes phones with camera's
> built in. They check EVERY person to ensure they comply.
> Failure to comply will result in you being keep there (I'll let you work out
> the types of places from that).
>
> John..

Hello, John.

Ooops... Sorry, couldn't even imagine this situation. I understand
the "do not use" restriction, but "do not have"... Stupid limitation
IMHO. The same as castrating man before visiting any public place to
prevent him from public genitals showing.

Best regards, Oleg Fyodorov.
Oxygen Software - tools for your Nokia.
Oxygen Phone Manager II - all you want from your Nokia.
support@oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk
June 16, 2004 6:28:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
> Paul Hopwood skrev:
>
>
>>The Nokia 6310i is pretty much the de facto standard business phone.
>
>
> In Norway the 6610 (and now probably the 6610i) has started to take
> over as the 6310i is not available anymore (too bad really) :-(
>
I use a 6100 for business. I don't need bluetooth or a car kit. It's
small, rf sensitive, triband, loud audio, speaker if you need it and has
great battery life. And if you want to attach a camera or FM plugin you
can, but you don't have to.

Some people think the phone's too small, which I can understand, but I
find it perfect for my job.

Geoff
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 6:43:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:12:42 -0700, Oxygen Software wrote:

> "Nospam" <nospam@please.co.uk> wrote in message news:<40cedbf9$0$6375$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>...
>> > Can you explain how the camera presence affects the business aspects
>> > of 6600? It's just a useful add-on allowing to implement the perfect
>> > idea of personal contact images. In my humble opinion the business
>> > phone should comply with these requirements:
>>
>> In some business's, such as the one I work in, we are NOT allowed on most
>> sites with a camera (of ANY type) and that includes phones with camera's
>> built in. They check EVERY person to ensure they comply.
>> Failure to comply will result in you being keep there (I'll let you work out
>> the types of places from that).
>>
>> John..
>
> Hello, John.
>
> Ooops... Sorry, couldn't even imagine this situation. I understand
> the "do not use" restriction, but "do not have"... Stupid limitation
> IMHO.

I have ... Especially establishments which are under the terms of the
"The Official Secrets Act" in the UK.

> The same as castrating man before visiting any public place to
> prevent him from public genitals showing.

LOL ... Except for the fact that you can't leave your genitals with
the security-guards, unlike a camera-phone.

> Best regards, Oleg Fyodorov.
> Oxygen Software - tools for your Nokia. Oxygen Phone Manager II - all
> you want from your Nokia. support@oxygensoftware.com
> http://www.oxygensoftware.com
> http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 9:52:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Geoff" <geoff@monacle.gold.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:caphpn$hek$1@canard.ulcc.ac.uk...

[snip]

> I use a 6100 for business. I don't need bluetooth or a car kit.

So you *never* need to make or receive calls while mobile..?

Ivor
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 8:40:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.16.13.43.28.781000@ivetva.arg>...
> > Ooops... Sorry, couldn't even imagine this situation. I understand
> > the "do not use" restriction, but "do not have"... Stupid limitation
> > IMHO.
>
> I have ... Especially establishments which are under the terms of the
> "The Official Secrets Act" in the UK.

Hello, michael.

It seems all future Nokia (as well as other manufacturers) models
will have a camera. So I even don't know what to recommend you...
Maybe Nokia 6610? Another way is having two phones and periodical
synchronizing their content.

Best regards, Oleg Fyodorov.
Oxygen Software - tools for your Nokia.
Oxygen Phone Manager II - all you want from your Nokia.
support@oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.com
http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 6:30:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 04:40:09 -0700, Oxygen Software wrote:

> michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.16.13.43.28.781000@ivetva.arg>...
>> > Ooops... Sorry, couldn't even imagine this situation. I understand
>> > the "do not use" restriction, but "do not have"... Stupid limitation
>> > IMHO.
>>
>> I have ... Especially establishments which are under the terms of the
>> "The Official Secrets Act" in the UK.
>
> Hello, michael.
>
> It seems all future Nokia (as well as other manufacturers) models
> will have a camera. So I even don't know what to recommend you...

I'll just keep my 6310i going for as long a possible. After all a friend
of mine is still using an ancient Nokia 5110, he's perfectly happy with
it, and can still get batteries for it.

> Maybe Nokia 6610? Another way is having two phones and periodical
> synchronizing their content.

My content is just names, phone numbers, and one or two downloaded Java
games. :-))

> Best regards, Oleg Fyodorov.

Best regards to you to Oleg.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 12:24:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

On 17 Jun 2004, Oxygen Software wrote
> michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message
> news:<pan.2004.06.16.13.43.28.781000@ivetva.arg>...

>>> Ooops... Sorry, couldn't even imagine this situation. I
>>> understand the "do not use" restriction, but "do not have"...
>>> Stupid limitation IMHO.

>> I have ... Especially establishments which are under the terms of
>> the "The Official Secrets Act" in the UK.

> Hello, michael.

> It seems all future Nokia (as well as other manufacturers) models
> will have a camera.

Perhaps not, though: Sprint has released a camera-less version of the
Treo 600 precisely to address the "business-and-cameras" problem:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/09/treo_no_camera/

If that's successful it may prompt other manufacaturers to look at
doing something similar.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

For e-mail, change harvey to whhvs.
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 5:39:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Geoff <geoff@monacle.gold.ac.uk> wrote:

>>>The Nokia 6310i is pretty much the de facto standard business phone.

>> In Norway the 6610 (and now probably the 6610i) has started to take
>> over as the 6310i is not available anymore (too bad really) :-(

>I use a 6100 for business. I don't need bluetooth or a car kit. It's
>small, rf sensitive, triband, loud audio, speaker if you need it and has
>great battery life. And if you want to attach a camera or FM plugin you
>can, but you don't have to.

I also have the 6100 and have the Nokia car kit for mine, the cradle
for which is smaller and neater than the kit for the 6310.

I think the 6310i is still a better choice for business than the 6100
(or 6610 for that matter) because most car manufacturers factory
fitted kits are for the 6310i and it supports BlueTooth, which most
manufacturers are moving to so it's easier for company car owners than
getting kits dealer fitted as well as supporting wireless headsets.

Personally I find the 6310i a bit large and heavy compared to more
modern phones but most of the newer equivalent models are a
compromise. I don't think Nokia have properly considered business
users when launching recent phones.

--
>iv< Paul >iv<
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 5:51:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Jon Pitts" <usenet@pitts50.co.uk> wrote:

>> It does everything you want and has all the key business features
>> (good phonebook, easy of use, robust, good battery life, tri-band etc)
>> without all the "unnecessary" features such as camera, colour screen,
>> picture messaging etc. It also the only handset I'm aware of which is
>> supported by all major car manufacturers.

>How do people find that manufacturers branded carkits compare with the
>CARK91? I'm probably going to be changing cars by the end of the year, and
>the model I am almost certainly going to be getting, doesn't seem to have
>too many spaces to fit the Nokia cradle (Toyota Corolla "old" shape) without
>drilling holes in the dash - which I'd like to avoid if possible.

>On the other hand, the Toyoya brochure for fully fitted jobbies looks like a
>good avenue to follow, and the picture on the front cover is of a 6210 in a
>cradle that isn't far removed from the CARK91. On this basis, part of my
>"shopping around" will include comparing CARK91 fitting options with
>something Toyota-branded.

I don't know the Toyota offering specifically, but am familiar with
the factory fitted options from Mercedes-Benz and Audi.

IIRC both offer a dashmount or more discrete arm rest mounting and
integrate with the instrument cluster and steering wheel buttons to
make use of the phone easier and safer while driving. There's also
the added benefit that they use manufacturers mountings avoiding the
needs to drill holes in the dashboard, thus preserving the resale
value of the vehicle.

If a dealer fit is not available or too costly you might also want to
consider a damage-free solution from dashMount
(http://www.dashmount.co.uk/) who supply (and can arrange fitting of)
damage-free mounting brackets.

--
>iv< Paul >iv<
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 2:32:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Paul Hopwood skrev:

> I also have the 6100 and have the Nokia car kit for mine, the cradle
> for which is smaller and neater than the kit for the 6310.

But no real antenna connector, right. The cradle sort of "holds" round
the top of the phone to "catch" the antenna signals in the air :-)

Can't be as good as a real antenna connector can it. Must give poorer
signal and lots of radio-leaks to the inside of the car, or....

> (or 6610 for that matter) because most car manufacturers factory
> fitted kits are for the 6310i and it supports BlueTooth, which most

But, "real soon now" it will be absolutly impossible to new 6310i's

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 3:58:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Lars-Erik Østerud <.@.> wrote:

>> I also have the 6100 and have the Nokia car kit for mine, the cradle
>> for which is smaller and neater than the kit for the 6310.

>But no real antenna connector, right. The cradle sort of "holds" round
>the top of the phone to "catch" the antenna signals in the air :-)

My Nokia 6100 kit does have an antenna connector and I have a
windscreen mounted antenna connected to it.

>Can't be as good as a real antenna connector can it. Must give poorer
>signal and lots of radio-leaks to the inside of the car, or....

I'd expect so, but my antenna was connected when the kit was fitted so
I've never tried it without for comparison.

>> (or 6610 for that matter) because most car manufacturers factory
>> fitted kits are for the 6310i and it supports BlueTooth, which most

>But, "real soon now" it will be absolutly impossible to new 6310i's

They're still available here in the UK but I suspect only while
existing stocks last.

As I said, Nokia don't really seemed to have given much thought to
business users; they have ceased the 6310i without launching a direct
replacement. All their other phones they sell have too many gimmicks
or lack key features.

--
>iv< Paul >iv<
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 4:22:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

Admin@oxygensoftware.com (Oxygen Software) wrote:

>> In some business's, such as the one I work in, we are NOT allowed on most
>> sites with a camera (of ANY type) and that includes phones with camera's
>> built in. They check EVERY person to ensure they comply.
>> Failure to comply will result in you being keep there (I'll let you work out
>> the types of places from that).

> Ooops... Sorry, couldn't even imagine this situation. I understand
>the "do not use" restriction, but "do not have"... Stupid limitation
>IMHO. The same as castrating man before visiting any public place to
>prevent him from public genitals showing.

Very sensible precaution for many companies. Any MOD facility or
contractor in the UK will have the same restriction and it's becoming
increasingly common in research, electronics and pharmaceutical
companies; in fact any commercially or nationally sensitive operation.
There have also been reports of clubs and bars taking a similar view,
although most seem to be merely banning their use rather than actually
confiscating handsets.

For many it's just a logical extension of existing rules. While most
companies allow mobile phones it is not at all uncommon to ban cameras
and camera phones are covered by the same restrictions.

All of which would support the view that phones with cameras are
unsuitable for many business users.

--
>iv< Paul >iv<
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 5:48:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia,uk.telecom.mobile (More info?)

"Paul Hopwood" <paul@hopwood.org.uk> wrote in message
news:cq27d0lvarfl3ik27i059ii4lldgj9flp4@4ax.com...
> "Jon Pitts" <usenet@pitts50.co.uk> wrote:
>
>
> >How do people find that manufacturers branded carkits compare with the
> >CARK91? I'm probably going to be changing cars by the end of the year,
and
> >the model I am almost certainly going to be getting, doesn't seem to have
> >too many spaces to fit the Nokia cradle (Toyota Corolla "old" shape)
without
> >drilling holes in the dash - which I'd like to avoid if possible.
>
> >On the other hand, the Toyoya brochure for fully fitted jobbies looks
like a
> >good avenue to follow, and the picture on the front cover is of a 6210 in
a
> >cradle that isn't far removed from the CARK91. On this basis, part of my
> >"shopping around" will include comparing CARK91 fitting options with
> >something Toyota-branded.
>
> I don't know the Toyota offering specifically, but am familiar with
> the factory fitted options from Mercedes-Benz and Audi.
>
> IIRC both offer a dashmount or more discrete arm rest mounting and
> integrate with the instrument cluster and steering wheel buttons to
> make use of the phone easier and safer while driving. There's also
> the added benefit that they use manufacturers mountings avoiding the
> needs to drill holes in the dashboard, thus preserving the resale
> value of the vehicle.
>

This is the sort of thing I'm after. From reading this brochure, they seem
to offer 3 levels of functionality, with CARK91 comparing roughly with the
middle level.

As you say, the factory-fitted option will inevitably be a lot more
functionally "integrated" into the car, but with more sensible mountings
used - which has to be a good thing.

I had managed to get a CARK91 down to £70 fitted by a bit of shopping
around, but I suppose with the resale value taken into account, it may well
be worthwhile going down the manufacturer route instead. I feel another
visit to the dealer coming on :-)

> If a dealer fit is not available or too costly you might also want to
> consider a damage-free solution from dashMount
> (http://www.dashmount.co.uk/) who supply (and can arrange fitting of)
> damage-free mounting brackets.
>

Aye, I already use one of these beasts in my Micra, and very good it is too.

--
Jon Pitts
Email:jon@pitts50.co.uk Attachments:files@pitts50.co.uk
ICQ:41410672 MSN: pitts_j@hotmail.com AIM:jonpittsaim
Yahoo Messenger: pittsjon Web: http://www.pitts50.co.uk
!