Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade my MoBo, Vid Card or SSD?

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2012 8:27:35 PM

I've come into a little bit of money from graduation, enough to upgrade one component of my computer. Question is, what should I upgrade?

The motherboard? I have a little Foxconn motherboard that's been very good to me. The problem is that it can't recognize the full 4 GB of RAM I bought for it, nor will it ever. Now, 3.12 GB RAM doesn't seem to be holding me back any, but I paid for 4, darn it! :kaola: 

Or, should I upgrade the Video Card? Currently I have a GeForce GTS 450, and while I can ratchet up the graphics options in my game to max with little difficulty, I know that a burlier video card will help when things get really busy on the screen.

Or should I get an SSD? This one is likely the least likely to upgrade since I do have a second HD for my games and it's pretty spry. But still, an SSD. They're coool...

So, there are the options I'm considering. Thanks for your opinion! :) 
June 8, 2012 12:51:14 PM

What do you use your PC for?

If mostly gaming, upgrade the GPU.

If general Windows and Office usage, an SSD.

It would be Windows that is limiting your ram rather than your motherboard - 32-bit versions can't utilize more than ~3.2GB of ram. If you use your PC for Photoshop or 3D Studio Max or similar programs, upgrade to a 64-bit version of Windows and add more RAM.
m
l
!