Weird processor mounting screw keeps turning but isn't stripped

electronian

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Hi, people.
I was just trying to remove a Slot 8 (Pentium Pro) heat sink, and was having difficulty.
It's an HP NetServer LD Pro Server (Model 6/180)--a monster that weighs about 60 lbs (the motherboard is about 15" x 10¾"). It was purchased at a live auction, and given to me by a co-worker.

There's a processor board that has 2 mounting screws.
1prccsrBrdScrew0477.jpg

Well, they loosen, but then seem to tighten after 3 turns or so. Then they feel looser, then tighter. Then, clockwise, they tighten right back up. I'm pretty sure they're not stripped. There's a funny round fastener I'm unfamiliar with on the other side--it doesn't turn, when I loosen the screw, though.
2prccsrBrdScrewBack0481.jpg

I can't figure this thing out.
The Pentium Pro (180Mhz) works. I'm just trying to get experience before trying to pass A+ tests scheduled for the end of the month). I might also blow the dust out of the heat sink...it was bad....real bad.

knightdog56

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
With a small flat blade screw driver pry under the head of the screw upwards while you try to remove with phillips screw driver, just a little pressure upwards should get the screw started. It might take you a couple of turns to get the flat blade under the head of the screw.

electronian

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
After sleeping on it, I gave it another try.

I tried using an al (try checking the spelling of that one using google ! )--one of those sharp-pointed tools like a punch, to push through from the other side (like you said, darren0000)...it still didn't go through......but, I noticed it giving a little. So, I just pulled the whole processor board out, and it came right out, mounting screws still attached--there not supposed to come out, I guess.

So it's good to keep in mind (sometimes), if it's not going the way you think, you're probably making it harder than it really is!.

That release lever rather stiff: it was even creaking a little like a rusty screen door (could have been the first time it has been released since the Pentium Pro was first installed).

Thanks, guys!
pentProNboard0525.jpg