Sign in with
Your question

How to extend my wireless signal for a stronger connection, bridge? |

Last response: in Networking
June 15, 2011 9:18:51 PM

I am helping a friend setup a wireless connection, I had installed a PCI wlan card which worked when he was close enough to the router, now he is able to connect to somebody in his complex who will give him access but is too far from the router. The SSID can be seen but it is very low where it will show and not show so it is just too unstable.

I have some hardware at the house which may be of help to him, I never had to use them, so I don't have experience with a wireless bridge and or a access point, both linksys brand.

With one of these devices, can I connect one of these devices to his computer, run CAT 5 and extend it closer, these two devices should provide a stronger signal I would think since they have larger and two antenna's. either use cat 5 or since his computer has the wireless adapter, it can just connect over wireless. Please tell me if one of these devices can boost his signal.
June 15, 2011 9:25:28 PM

off world said:
I am helping a friend setup a wireless connection, I had installed a PCI wlan card which worked when he was close enough to the router, now he is able to connect to somebody in his complex who will give him access but is too far from the router. The SSID can be seen but it is very low where it will show and not show so it is just too unstable.

I have some hardware at the house which may be of help to him, I never had to use them, so I don't have experience with a wireless bridge and or a access point, both linksys brand.

With one of these devices, can I connect one of these devices to his computer, run CAT 5 and extend it closer, these two devices should provide a stronger signal I would think since they have larger and two antenna's. either use cat 5 or since his computer has the wireless adapter, it can just connect over wireless. Please tell me if one of these devices can boost his signal.

The access point seems to be the method, correct. Do I need to disable the PCI wlan adapter and run cat5 to the only port on the WAP and extend it, and it should show me connections the same way the wlan adapter works. I have reset it just in case, ran it wireless and used 192.168.1.1 and nothing comes up. However when it is turned on I can see it on and see the default SSID.
m
l
June 15, 2011 9:27:13 PM

off world said:

I should add to this, when I did try this, I wasn't able to connect into the router but I was able to connect the WAP and then the computer says "successfully connected to this SSID" I thought I would be able to see connections off this device, or am I just using the wrong hardware.
m
l
Related resources
!