AMD A10-5800K Benchmarks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcointin

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
I would like to ask everyone’s opinions on benchmarks I’ve read for the new AMD A10-5800K APU. The site I read is called “cpubenchmark.net”, and it has it rated as follows:

AMD A10-5800K APU: 7,914

For comparison, this is how it relates some popular Intel processors:

Intel Core i5 3750 @ 3.40Ghz: 7,606
Intel Core i5 3450 @ 3.10Ghz: 7,053
Intel Core i3 3220 @ 3.30Ghz: 4,681

It has the AMD processor as *better* than the much high priced Intel ones! This contradicts what I’ve read on other sites that rank it below even the Intel Core i3 3220, for example:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6347/amd-a10-5800k-a8-5600k-review-trinity-on-the-desktop-part-2/3

Are these benchmarks accurate? If so, why the huge disparity with other benchmarks?

Solution

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Different cpus do different things and are better at different things. I've been collecting trinity reviews. It is better than i3225 on some things and not on others. With acceleration it is better in some things and not in others.

Where is it showing it is better than the high priced intel? The high priced intel are above A10 in those.

..Ok what? Your assessment doesn't even make sense, in those ones 3220 looks better except in just one bench mark. (talking about that one page)

Here is a harsh environment review showcasing Trinity against a lot of other cpus: http://techreport.com/review/23662/amd-a10-5800k-and-a8-5600k-trinity-apus-reviewed/16

dcointin

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
First, I want to say that I have no preference for Intel or AMD, I've put together builds using both on paper at different price points, and I'm researching both to see how they perform relative to price and one another. I just wanted to be clear on that so that my question isn't mistaken for an attack on AMD. I actually have an acquaintance that offered to help me build my pc if I choose AMD.

The information I gave from cpubenchmark.net is the one I was asking about, and rates the A10 higher than the intel i5 and i3 chips. Anandtech on the other hand rates it lower than the i5 and approximately equal to the i3. I was asking why the two sites had such a disparity in their benchmarks, and which sites might be more accurate.

NoUserBar

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Oh I see, but you only gave one link so I assumed otherwise (focused on that one link, my bad). Can you give out both next time for comparison?

lol I wasn't necessarily defending AMD I was just confused.

Wait, I wasn't thinking you were attacking anyone btw. I just misread your intention with the passmark and the comparisons. -edit

The site with the passmark is basically using a random number generator for how accurate the benchmark is.

Anandtech is better but generally has stupid test in the setup as well like sysmark.

Just read the tests on things you do with the CPU. Generally price is really reflective of cpu performance at least until you get pass $250.

Why are they so different, because the one uses Passmark which is a joke. The fact is that while the APU's have a stronger integrated graphics they will not beat the I5 in sheer CPU power. The I5 is faster and more effcient than the APU's.

Solution

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
It's not really accurate to directly compare a standard intel CPU, with an APU. The Intel CPU will beat the APU is standard CPU related tasks; however, the APU will beat the Intel CPU is graphics related processes. The APU is more suited for budget builds, as the Intel CPU would be superior especially in a system with an additional powerful GPU added. Both are good processors, however it really depends on your price range, the purpose of the system, and the needs of the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.