Sign in with
Your question

Black screen but computer turns on..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2012 1:35:58 AM

Hello,

I recently purchased a new power supply giving me and extra 100 watts of power (550w) but nothing good happened from it. Before my computer was doing this it was freezing randomly. After I installed the new psu I did the recommended action on windows 7 and during the scan to find and fix the computer froze again. I have no idea what else I need to look for and I don't have funds to keep buying parts on guesses. Any tips/suggestions would be amazing
April 10, 2012 1:41:51 AM

What problems where you having and are currently having? what PSU did you install?
m
l
April 10, 2012 1:48:37 AM

ebola28 said:
What problems where you having and are currently having? what PSU did you install?

I bought an Antec 550watt. Before this even happened my computer was freezing up on me for no reason. after a restart maybe 20 minutes later it froze again. the time inbetween freezings got shorter and now my monitor isn't being recognized when I turn on my computer. I figured it was the power source after I installed it the comp booted up and froze midway through. Now it's at the point where it starts but the monitor won't show anything. The mobo light is green with no beeps. my ram had one red/orange light on then no lights after a few seconds.

my heatsink fan stopped working but after installing another one it still doesn't show a picture. my friend said it might be the processor or the mobo but he can't be sure.
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2012 1:57:15 AM

does it freeze during post? or can you get through the post screen?

If it freezes during post, unplug from wall and pull cmos.

If it gets past post and freezes during boot, try and run memtest to eliminate one possible issue....

Is your monitor plugged into the mobo or graphics card? If graphics card, and your mobo supports video out, remove the gpu and connect your monitor to your mobo.
m
l
April 10, 2012 2:15:40 AM

ebola28 said:
does it freeze during post? or can you get through the post screen?

If it freezes during post, unplug from wall and pull cmos.

If it gets past post and freezes during boot, try and run memtest to eliminate one possible issue....

Is your monitor plugged into the mobo or graphics card? If graphics card, and your mobo supports video out, remove the gpu and connect your monitor to your mobo.

my monitor is hooked up to the video card i tried both ports but nothing. It froze post and pre bios. I'm not sure if it freezes now considering I can't see anything. My mobo doesn't have any video ports. I have an asus mobo, 2 gig ram, amd64x2 proc, nvidia7800 graphics.
m
l
April 10, 2012 4:29:03 AM

first, try clearing cmos.

See if a friend has a known working graphics card.

pull all but one stick of ram
m
l
April 10, 2012 8:29:56 PM

ebola28 said:
first, try clearing cmos.

See if a friend has a known working graphics card.

pull all but one stick of ram

I cleared the cmos and left 1 stick in and tried it and no go. swaped the ram to see if it was the other stick and no go. I'm going to try the graphics card soon. a friend of mine said he had an extra one. I'll keep you posted on what happens.
m
l
April 10, 2012 10:54:26 PM

worst comes to worse, pull the mobo from the case and bread board it...put the mobo on a box or wood cutting board, leave the cpu and cpu fan on, just one stick of ram, and psu 24 pin and 4 pin connect, and gpu and see if you get any action. possible during all the work a screw got behind the mobo and shorted it out...
m
l
April 10, 2012 11:20:35 PM

ebola28 said:
worst comes to worse, pull the mobo from the case and bread board it...put the mobo on a box or wood cutting board, leave the cpu and cpu fan on, just one stick of ram, and psu 24 pin and 4 pin connect, and gpu and see if you get any action. possible during all the work a screw got behind the mobo and shorted it out...

ok so the other video card didn't work. my friend took the mobo out and says it just might be old and died being it is 10 years old. any ideas?
m
l
April 11, 2012 12:37:38 AM

its probably not worth too much hassle. Your new power supply would work great in a new build ;)  sorry for the bad news
m
l
April 11, 2012 4:42:30 AM

ebola28 said:
its probably not worth too much hassle. Your new power supply would work great in a new build ;)  sorry for the bad news

when i buy a new mobo/ram/cpu it only comes to 200ish. so it's not to bad but still. lol thanks for the help and the quick responses!
m
l
April 11, 2012 5:21:51 AM

cheers, good luck with everything and enjoy the new build :D 
m
l
!