Sign in with
Your question

I think my computer is dead

Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2012 9:51:25 PM

Trying to troubleshoot my computer and I kept running into this site, so decided to become a member! :hello: 

I'm having a heck of a time diagnosing this.

I have an old Dell xps 600 (bought back in 2006)

For awhile now, it's been taking multiple cold boots to get a screen. I re seated everything and i'm still having troubles getting it to boot with a screen.

It will literally turn on, makes the same noises with it's initial boot up (Fans kick on, lights, etc..) but no screen.

I'll eventually get a screen but after prolong use the screen goes black.

I'm making plans to upgrade this machine (new micro atx, video card, processor) I'm hoping to hang on to the video card that I have until I can afford a better one. Unless of course, it's the culprit to my problems.

But i'm also worried that it may be my PSU finally dying on me. If that's the case then I i'll just switch over to a new case.

I should also mention it freaks out if I have RAM in every slot. It's currently only functioning on one stick of 2gb ram. If I was to add anymore, it sends out error beeps and the fans kick in to high gear.

Pentium D 2.8GHz
2gb DDR2 ram (was running at 8gb at one point)
ATI Radeon 1900 series
650 watt PSU (standard dell psu for dell xps 600)

Any ideas?

Let me know if you need more info.

Thank you for any advice/suggestions.

More about : computer dead

June 7, 2012 11:21:13 PM

You should probably switch to a new case and PSU if you want to change everything else. A six year old PSU may not output as much power as it used to. Besides, I don't know how reliable dell standard PSUs are, but am under the impression that they are not very good.

It seems like your GPU is the problem. Are you able to try out a different GPU?
Have you tried putting RAM in just 2 slots? Your Mobo is dual channel right?
m
l
June 7, 2012 11:38:42 PM

Sounds more like the motherboard is going. Have a look for any caps that are buldging or leaking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Computer symptoms

Some common behavioral symptoms of "bad caps" seen in computer systems are:
Intermittent failure to turn on, requiring user to press reset or try turning the computer on repeatedly
Instabilities (hangs, occurrences of the "Blue Screen of Death", kernel panics, etc.), especially when symptoms get progressively more frequent over time
Memory errors, especially ones that get more frequent with time
Spontaneous restarts or resets
In on-board or add-on video cards, unstable image in some video modes
Failure to complete the Power-On Self Test ("POST"), or spontaneous rebooting before it is completed
Failure to even start the POST; fans spin but the system appears dead
m
l
Related resources
June 7, 2012 11:48:11 PM

Thank you for the responses!

Unksol: When I was looking up issues I ran into that wiki page. I took my mobo out and inspected it yesterday. I did not find any leaking or buldging capacitors.

Moornix: I did try adding two sticks of ram and it still goes crazy.

I also did try another video card with no success.

I believe the motherboard is.. It's a dell, and they don't give you much info on the mobo. I even looked up past history to see what kind it was and no such luck. even if you were to google it to find a replacement board. Its always called dell xps replacement motherboard.

Do you have any suggestions on a barebones kit?

I know I want one with a intel i5-2500k processor

suggestions on a video card that is good for gaming but won't break the bank?

I had a chat with a newegg rep earlier today and I told them everything i wtote here and they told me my psu should be ok to use. I did hear about the dell psu's being crap as well. I don't know, it hasn't shown any signs of failing. except for this screen issue which I think is either the psu, gpu, or mobo. But I can't tell for sure which one it is.
m
l
June 7, 2012 11:50:20 PM

unskol: I should also mention that the first problem mentioned with bad caps is exactly the problem i'm having. ha
m
l
June 7, 2012 11:53:24 PM

Another question now. If I do decide to get rid of this rig, should I try to sell it or just recycle it?
m
l
!