If computer was damaged by wrong voltage would there be any signs

cis0002

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
We are building a new computer - the power supply is a cooler master extreme 2 750 / the setting on the back was wrong set at 230 - when it should of been at 110 / the system is brand new & never powered up / plus with the wrong setting - ni lights came on / nothing as if power neevr travelled thru the system / we have switched it to 110 / but still nothing - so, wondering if the system was damaged or we have more troubleshooting to do regarding the setup - Thank You

Hi :)

Smell the outlet from the PSU (I am serious)...if you get a nasty electrical burnt smell...the Psu is history...and maybe the motherboard as well :(

All the best Brett :)

cis0002

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

my thinking is - there is a different problem ... appreciate your feedback / there was no noise, no smells, no lights - zero activity ... so - maybe setup wrong /

In the 90s I completely destroyed one PC by doing this. Most PSUs now have Active PFC, over current protection, and over voltage protection. Some that have Passive PFC will still have over current protection and over voltage protection but this varies by manufacturer. Some ultra cheap PSUs have none of these but these will damage any PC even if they are hooked up correctly.

cis0002

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012

OK Great / so - chances are no damage was caused by this - will need to troubleshoot to find the root cause - why system is not getting any power ...

PSUs with Passive PFC or no PFC have the line voltage switch, PSUs with Active PFC do not.

I have seen many systems switch to 230/240/250 from 110/115/120 and live(At schools it was a pretty common prank).

Its the other way around that seems to cause more issues.

With the switch to 240, you bypass the voltage doubler. so if anything I would guess that power supply could be damaged(not too too likely), but I doubt it had a change to cause any other damage(I could be wrong, lots going in inside the power supply).

On the other hand setting it to 110/120 and plugging into 240 volts will send 240 volts into a voltage doubler that will blow caps in the power supply and all kinds of other bad will happen.

I think you will still have to test the parts in another system with a known good power supply to see what is going on.