Sign in with
Your question

FX-4170?

Last response: in Components
October 6, 2012 2:47:15 AM

I don't know what to buy processor/mobo wise. I'm debating between an i3 3220 and a Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2, or an FX-4170, and an AM3+ motherboard in the 50-60 dollar range. I'm getting a 500w PSU, HD 7770, and 4gb of ram, and i'll upgrade to 8gb when i get 20 dollars since 40$ for ram is over my Computer budget. Thanks! I plan on editing/rendering in After Effects, Premiere, and Vegas for low-end Youtube stuff. I also plan on playing Minecraft, G-MOD, TF2, L4D2, and probably a Steam game that comes on sale. I just don't want too much lag or a render for a 15 minute video that takes over an hour. Thanks! :D 

More about : 4170

a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 3:00:36 AM

I'm thinking the FX-4100 with a decent AM3+ motherboard should be enough for you. Just be sure to get yourself a decent aftermarket cooler to OC the chip :) 

The 4170 is essentially the same chip as the 4100; just clocked higher. I honestly don't see the point getting the 4170 unless it's on sale as you could clock the 4100 to almost the same clock speeds on the stock cooler provided.

On a side note, what 500w PSU are you looking at? If it's some no-brand PSU, I would definitely stay away. However, for your rig, I feel something like a Corsair CX430V2 would be MORE than enough. You could power your HD7770 AND OC any CPU (that's capable of OC, of course) you could possibly get your hands on.

**EDIT**

I just noticed that the FX-4170 is on sale @ newegg at the moment for $15 off.
m
l
October 6, 2012 3:04:59 AM

A Cooler Master, and would i need an aftermarket? I wouldn't really want to OC, and i don't care to max out my games, i just want to be able to play them without unbearable lag. Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 3:09:05 AM

I would definitely stay away from Cooler Master PSU's! My previous recommendation of the Corsair CX430V2 stays the same, 430w is more than enough to power your rig!

If you don't plan on overclocking, then no, you don't need an aftermarket cooler. Just keep in mind that the stock AMD coolers can get quite loud ;) 

AMD FX-41XX = performs a little worse than AMD Phenom II X4's. Keeping that mind mind, here's a benchmark from AnAndTech - http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/677?vs=88

Both options would do you just fine. It would come down to the total cost IMO :) 

Regarding your first post, I would recommend getting an H77 motherboard as you may need a BIOS update on the H61. You would need a Sandy Bridge CPU to update your BIOS if the motherboard doesn't have a flash utility.

m
l
October 6, 2012 3:45:34 AM

Ok so an FX or phenom? What do you recomend more? And i have. The PSU you said a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ with an FX unless yoy think the phenom would do better.. Whatever uses less power and will run smoother and last longer and is future proof. Excuse my grammar tio im on my phone.
m
l
October 6, 2012 4:05:38 AM

If you can wait a little bit, I'd say maybe even a new 4300/4320.
m
l
October 6, 2012 4:25:20 AM

i currently have an fx-4100 ocd to 4.5 ghz with a tx3 cooler, i run it with a 6850 and i get great performance, so far it has maxed out all my games without any problems (including 25 man raids in wow at solid 50+ fps) and my temps stopped around 45c under full load
m
l
a b ) Power supply
October 6, 2012 5:09:32 AM

TheMark0fDeath said:
Ok so an FX or phenom? What do you recomend more? And i have. The PSU you said a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P AM3+ with an FX unless yoy think the phenom would do better.. Whatever uses less power and will run smoother and last longer and is future proof. Excuse my grammar tio im on my phone.

Do you mean you already have the PSU you listed?

Also, I didn't mean get the Phenom, I was just comparing the CPU's. The Phenom II X4 will certainly perform better than the FX-4XXX line of CPU's, however, I would recommend waiting for Piledriver to come around as the performance increase may put it on par/better than the Phenom II's.

I would recommend the ASRock 970 Extreme 3 or the ASUS M5A97 if you want a decent motherboard. Anything lower-tier than that and I wouldn't feel too comfortable.

Regarding future-proof, there is no such thing. Given the options you have now, you have two things to consider -

1) The FX-41XX CPU's perform WORSE then the 3 year old Phenom II X4's; you'll have to purchase at least an FX-81XX CPU to match performance.

2) The new FX line of CPU's (Piledriver) are on the horizon. That will almost immediately make the current line of FX CPU's obsolete.

3) If you're looking to get the best performance at the moment, I would highly suggest saving a little more money and purchasing an ASRock H77M Motherboard along with an Intel Core i5 3450. Those two things will cost you around $290, however, it will sure outlast any low-end AMD set up you could purchase at the moment.
m
l
October 6, 2012 1:41:41 PM

I'd go with the AMD processor. I have the fx-8120 and they're unlocked so you can over clock the hell out of them. but its a good idea to get a decent air/water cooler otherwise the stock fans are unbelievably loud. If you can try and make your next upgrade an SSD because when i combined my overclocked 8120 and a sata3 ssd, its rapidly fast. worth every penny
m
l
!