Sign in with
Your question

Difference betweem 7850 and 7850 OC?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2012 12:20:36 PM

Hi,

I am looking into buying HD7850 but can anyone tell me the difference between HD7850 and HD7850 overlocked edition?

I would still be able to overlock regular HD7850 right?

Sorry for a noob question!

PS. which brand do you guys recommend? MSI vs Sapphire vs XFX?
a c 291 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 12:27:48 PM

The overclock edition means that it was overclocked in factory. You can still overclock the normal one manually.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 12:29:20 PM

The 7870 will be faster, to see the exact difference which I can't really tell, refer to the review tom's hardware made a little while ago about Both the 7870 and the 7850.

Yes you should be able to get at least a 1Ghz Overclock on the 7850 by simple programs like MSI Afterburner (of course with sufficient hardware)

All three brands are excellent brands, so you decide. Just look at the cooler, features, accessories, warranty, etc.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 12:29:58 PM

Yes you would still be able to overclock the regular one. I would go for the sapphire one, though MSI and XFX are valuable contestants.
m
l
a c 79 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 1:01:31 PM

jyang16 said:
Hi,

I am looking into buying HD7850 but can anyone tell me the difference between HD7850 and HD7850 overlocked edition?

amd's aib partners often bin better gpus and overclock them before marketing them. those are sold as 'overclocked edition'. those usually carry a slight to substantial overclock over reference design. overclocked editions also tend to have better coolers to keep the overclocked gpus, vram and other components cool. factory overclocked cards perform slightly better than reference cards in applications and use more power.
jyang16 said:

I would still be able to overlock regular HD7850 right?

yes, you can overclock a reference 7850. make sure you have a good cooler, sturdy psu, good case airflow. it'd be better if you get a board with 3rd party cooler. update to latest drivers as well.
Sorry for a noob question!
jyang16 said:

PS. which brand do you guys recommend? MSI vs Sapphire vs XFX?

all three make good 7850 boards. go with whichever has better cooler, warranty etc.
m
l
April 10, 2012 3:18:46 PM

the price difference from reference to OC version is marginal at best with the 7850 (like $10), so get the OC version. it will have a better cooler/fans to allow even further OC capability. the reference card may OC the same amount as the OC version, but temps will be lower with the card that has the better cooler.
m
l
!