Which Wide Angle for Canon Rebel XT

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 21, 2005 11:01:09 PM

Hi all,

I have a chance to get used wide angle zoom for my Canon 350/XT. I have a
choice of two. Both are used from a newspaper photographer. He just got a
Canon 1D and selling his EF-S lenses. The first one is a Sigma 12-24
f/4.5-5.6 EX DG. The second is a Tokina AT-X 124 AF Pro. He has offer them
to me at the same price. Which is the best lens?

--
Master Chef Richard Campbell
100% Delightfully Evil for Your Protection

More about : wide angle canon rebel

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 11:01:10 PM

In article <VhSDe.2406$fx4.2367@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, Master
Chef Richard Campbell <spam>@ameritech.net> wrote:

> I have a chance to get used wide angle zoom for my Canon 350/XT. I have a
> choice of two. Both are used from a newspaper photographer. He just got a
> Canon 1D and selling his EF-S lenses. The first one is a Sigma 12-24
> f/4.5-5.6 EX DG. The second is a Tokina AT-X 124 AF Pro. He has offer them
> to me at the same price. Which is the best lens?

Choice "C" - none of the above.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:50:38 PM

"Randall Ainsworth" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote in message
> In article <VhSDe.2406$fx4.2367@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>, Master
> Chef Richard Campbell <spam>@ameritech.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a chance to get used wide angle zoom for my Canon 350/XT. I have a
>> choice of two. Both are used from a newspaper photographer. He just got a
>> Canon 1D and selling his EF-S lenses. The first one is a Sigma 12-24
>> f/4.5-5.6 EX DG. The second is a Tokina AT-X 124 AF Pro. He has offer
>> them
>> to me at the same price. Which is the best lens?
>
> Choice "C" - none of the above.

That's choice "D". Choice "C" is the Canon 10-22.

If you find a good copy of the Stigma 12-24, it's a seriously fun lens on a
1Ds or 1Dsmk2. I passed on that lens simply because if I bought it, I'd put
it on a cheap Rebel film body and probably never shoot digital again...

Seriously, though, none of the lenses mentioned are "EF-S" lenses, and
choice "C", the Canon 10-22, is the right answer for the 350D.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
!