Sign in with
Your question

Screen flashing black when under load.

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2012 3:17:00 PM

Hello, I have a problem where my screen will turn black, stay black for 1-3 seconds (on some, somewhat rare occations it'll stay black for pehaps 10 secish), and then turn back to normal, sometimes it'll do it a few times in a row, sometimes just once.

When idle / or using small programs like internet browser, and similar, the flashes are rare (maybe one over the course of a few hours), but if I load up a game like Battlefield 3, it'll happen maybe 10 times in a 30 min session.

So far I have tried this:

Checked that the monitor cable isn't loose.

Upgraded GPU driver to newest.

Checked GPU temperature during gaming session with CPUID Hardware monitor: Recorded 85 degree Celcius as highest. (Idle temp is around 40 degree).

Computer specs:

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 570 (Club 3D)
CPU: i5 2500k (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus)
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8Gb (2x4gb)
MB: Asus P8P67 B3 Revision
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2
HDD1: Corsair SSD Force GT 120GB
Hdd2: 2TB WD
Disc: Some Dvd drive.
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two (2x Fans in front, one large in top of case).
Win7 Home 64bit.

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster SA350 (24").

Hoping someone have suggestions that might help. I've looked around, and people with similar problems usually seem to have them due to loose cables or heat, but the cable thing shouldn't be a factor when it happens way more often when the computer is under load? And the heat thing, well, I don't know if 85 C is too high, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it cut out at lower temperatures aswell (I've seen it go black at 45 degree at least once I know).

~Danny

More about : screen flashing black load

April 13, 2012 3:02:57 PM

Okay I had time to do a little bit of testing. Got MSI Afterburner and set the fan speed to equal the temp, yielding higher fan speeds when loaded, ran BF3 for half an hour and got out with 69 as max temperature, only seeing one brief screen flash. Improvement, but, is anyone familiar with the normal safe temperature ranges for a GPU? I'm thinking it would be wierd if the card overheated itself during normal load when I havn't overclocked it.

Will see if I can get to game some more with higher fan speed, and pehaps the side off the case, to reduce further temp.

However I'm still taking suggestions, I'm not 100% sure heat is the conklusion yet.
!