Graphics card turning Pc off.

mrlittle77

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
I installed a HD Radeon 5570 card last year and it was working fine (appreciate its not the best of cards) until a few weeks ago when my pc shut off whilst using Flight Sim 2004 and would not turn back on.

After trying a couple of things with no luck, I took out the graphics card and it turned on (this is silly thing to do but i tried inserting it after I had turned the pc on and it might as well of been an 'off' switch...pc just went dead when it clicked in the slot). In my mind, it is one of 3 things.

1. The graphics card itself is faulty/damaged and causing the problem.
2. The pci-e slot on the motherboard is faulty/damaged (meaning a new motherboard is needed).
3.My psu (only 300w) has degraded and can now not power the graphics card along with the rest of the motherboard.

Any help on whether I am in the right ball park with any of my 3 theories or any other possible causes would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
probably the psu degraded with capacitor aging, does the computer work normally without the video card? if yes, than yes this is the problem almost sure.

About plugging the board with the pc turned on that isn't good at all, you could have damaged the pci slot or toasted the gpu itself, safest to do that connection with the computer turned off.

so if you didn't damaged the video card, or maybe the psu damaged it, probably changing psu will fix your issues.

I recommend you this PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

mrlittle77

Honorable
Apr 10, 2012
Yeah the computer works fine without the video card (using it now) and I was thinking (and hoping) it was just the psu.

Thank you for the advise and the and the psu suggestion.