Comuter Start up Issue

flizz

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Ever since I built my first homebuilt computer, it had a weird problem that my IT buddies never heard of. Basically, when i push the power button on my Cooler Master 690 II Advanced case it would turn on (hear all fans do a tchhhuuuu noise) then suddenly turn off, then after a few seconds it turns back on. My buddies said leave it because it starts up no issues etc. but now I faced this on and off phase more than once. It started to occur 2-3 times. I also recently overclocked my computer to 4.2 but have toned it down to 4.0. Has anyone ever had this problem before? Am I one in a million..?

My computer specs:

CASE - Cooler Master 690 II Advanced
MOBO - MSI P67A-G43 LGA 1155
CPU - i7 2600k 3.4 GHz OCed @ 4.0GHz currently
HEATSINK - Cooler Master Hyper 212+ w/ additional cooler master fan
RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz
SSD - Intel 310 Series 160GB
HDD - Western Digital Caviar Black 7200RPM 500GB
GPU - Asus DCU II superclocked Radeon HD 6950
DVD DRIVE - Asus DRW 24b1st
PSU - Corsair builder series V2 500 PSU

I think thats it, if I forgot something please let me know.

P.S. I feel like it's my power supply but I'm no computer expert.

Solution
it not a power supply issue. there are a few bug fixes from your mb vendor most of them are for reading ram. what is happing to you is what happens to a lot of mb and over clockers. when the pc powers on it trys to read the ram info and set the ram speed and cpu bus speed correctly. on system with good bios firmware and cpu code once the mb sets these default speeds you dont get muilt reboot at post. with mb with ram that not on the qa guild or is over clocked ram. a motherboard may reboot more then once to try and set the ram speed up right. i would use your mb built in bios update tools not the windows bios update tools..i seen to many mb brick with bios updates through windows. i would check the bios rev of your mb and then install...
Hmmm, your power supply or mobo is most likely, I think it just needs a few seconds to charge the capacitors. As long as it doesn't turn off on you during gaming / furmark + prime95 I would say leave it.

As for troubleshooting steps I would try turning on the PSU without it being plugged into the mobo (google how to do it) make sure its not plugged into any other components.

It could however still be a power supply issue (as you generally can't hear them start/stop. just watch the fan and see if it stutters for half a second that should tell you)

it not a power supply issue. there are a few bug fixes from your mb vendor most of them are for reading ram. what is happing to you is what happens to a lot of mb and over clockers. when the pc powers on it trys to read the ram info and set the ram speed and cpu bus speed correctly. on system with good bios firmware and cpu code once the mb sets these default speeds you dont get muilt reboot at post. with mb with ram that not on the qa guild or is over clocked ram. a motherboard may reboot more then once to try and set the ram speed up right. i would use your mb built in bios update tools not the windows bios update tools..i seen to many mb brick with bios updates through windows. i would check the bios rev of your mb and then install the bios updates one at a time till the last one is done from your mb vendor web page. if the mb after the updates still has that boot issue. run cpu-z and read the ram that in the pc make sure both ram are the same speed and model...that the vendor did not screw up on the kit. in the cpu-z spd tab it tell you the rated speed for your ram. there going to be two speeds that should works on most mb without issue...the stock speed setting.. ie (1333) and the xmp profile (over clock speed or max speed of the ram (1600 or faster depending on you kit). most mb in the over clock or dram speed have an xmp seting to let the mb read and load that speed. (you may have to bump the voltage up from 1.5 to 1.6 or 1.65 if the xmp profile says that it needs that to run.
the other part of ram (voltage and speed) is the timing of the dram. ie (9-9-9-9-24) if the mb does not use the same timing then at boot the mb bios going to have read..and reset the dram to correct speed.

Solution