Sign in with
Your question

New Rig, Rate my setup! I7 Ivy 670 FTW Vengeance etc

Last response: in Systems
June 8, 2012 7:53:26 AM

Hey all, so Im building myself a new computer. Seems that every time a Diablo series is released I finding myself doing this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is what I have so far:
I7 3770 Ivy Bridge
Geforce Gtx 670 F.T.W. 2 GB (requires min 500w)
Sabertooth Z77
Corsair Vengeance 8g (2x4GB)
Seagate Barracude 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 6.0gb SATA 4.16ms Lat.
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you guys think so far? I did a couple days research and found for the money and current performance, this is what looked good to me value wise and capability for OC later on down the road.

Currently I am researching:
Towers (preferably something compact with still great airflow)
PSU's (needs to be able to power everything i got at full throttle, while being quiet and still energy efficient).

Thank you guys, I am really stuck here and dont want to buy a tower that wont work with my MOBO, a PSU that is underpowered/overpowered.

:hello: 
June 8, 2012 8:00:29 AM

You don't need an i7 for gaming. i5 3570k will be more than enough.
Asrock z77 Extreme 6 will have everything you need without Sabertooth's price tag.
I suggest the Corsair 500R. Has great airflow and cable management capabilities.
XFX core edition 550W for no SLI, 750W for SLI.
I would add an SSD with the money saved from CPU+MoBo. Crucial m4 128 Gb.

It would help if you have a budget listed so we can better suggest parts.
m
l
June 8, 2012 8:05:57 AM

No real budget just the most performance per dollar. With something that will stay current for atleast 2-3 years in the future.

Also with the Corsair 500R Case, i was trying to get something smaller, is there anything that has all the options as this but is more compact?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 8, 2012 8:15:38 AM

I have the Corsair 300R. It is a bit smaller (about 3" I believe) than 500R but also has good airflow and cable management.

Do you have a particular reason why you want compact? The smaller you get, the less airflow and hence more heat.

Can't predict what's going to happen in the future but the build I suggested should last for a while.
m
l
June 8, 2012 8:24:08 AM

yeah i think i will go with the 500R, Since it comes with 2 more fans, and has room for if i want to add in water cooling later on down the road. I was just hoping for something more compact.

So if im not going to run dual cards then i should go with the XFX core edition 550W?
m
l
June 8, 2012 8:30:18 AM

Yes, the xfx core edition 550W would be enough.

I would also suggest switching to either one of these mobo's: Gigabyte z77-d3h or Asrock z77 Pro 4. They will still have the features of a z77 MoBo but is only designed for single GPU set-ups.
m
l
June 8, 2012 8:43:19 AM

another thing is to add a CPU fan, it is optional but i recommend it as it cools the CPU better than stock and is quieter

another thing is that Corsair Vengeance has tall heatsinks that may block the RAM,

i would suggest Corsair Vengeance low profile series

for PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

get the the HALE82, it is made by the same company as XFX and is cheaper

right now there is a little bug hence me showing you in this kind of way
it is $59.99 with rebate but when you click on it, it just shows $119.99

just go to technical support and they will help out with the problem if you buy it
m
l
June 8, 2012 9:38:17 AM

boulbox said:
another thing is to add a CPU fan, it is optional but i recommend it as it cools the CPU better than stock and is quieter

another thing is that Corsair Vengeance has tall heatsinks that may block the RAM,

i would suggest Corsair Vengeance low profile series

for PSU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

get the the HALE82, it is made by the same company as XFX and is cheaper

What do you mean about "tall heatsinks blocking the ram". Block the ram from expelling heat or what exactly?

m
l
June 8, 2012 4:37:18 PM

The Corsair Vengeance have tall heat spreaders. It may interfere with the installation of an aftermarket CPU cooler. What version of the i7 - 3770 are you buying. If you are getting the "K" series, I would assume you plan to overclock. An aftermarket CPU cooler would be advisable then.

If that were the case, I would suggest adding this to your build: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO. Then, get RAM with lower heat spreaders. I have the Mushkin Blackline Frostbyte and it did not interfere with the installation of that cpu cooler. I've also heard that G-Skill Ripjaws would also not interfere with installation. Otherwise here are a couple of low-profile RAM choices: Corsair low-profile RAM or G-Skill Ares.

If you are not getting the "K" series, then I don't see the need for an aftermarket CPU cooler.
m
l
June 8, 2012 5:32:24 PM

bay707 said:
What do you mean about "tall heatsinks blocking the ram". Block the ram from expelling heat or what exactly?

oh sorry mistake there

the RAM's heatsinks( the top part) of Vengeance can block many types of CPU fans such as HYPER 212 evo which i recommend for your build

you will have no heat problems or spacing problems just going with Corsair Vengeance Low Profile series
m
l
June 8, 2012 9:19:36 PM

boulbox said:

you will have no heat problems or spacing problems just going with Corsair Vengeance Low Profile series

The corsair Vengeance Low Profile doesnt come in 1866 mhz thought it only comes in 1600's ?

also.... What about some 2133 mhz Corsair vengeance ram? Seems like this needs a fan or something to cool it down.. would that work well with my setup? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
June 9, 2012 6:15:09 AM

bay707 said:
The corsair Vengeance Low Profile doesnt come in 1866 mhz thought it only comes in 1600's ?

also.... What about some 2133 mhz Corsair vengeance ram? Seems like this needs a fan or something to cool it down.. would that work well with my setup? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

In theory, faster RAM will work faster. However, after 1600 MHz, the performance gains are very minimal compared to the price increase. Its so minimal, especially for your purposes, that you wouldn't even notice it. In my opinion, its only for those who want to say I have the fastest RAM possible.

I would stick with 1600 MHz.
m
l
June 9, 2012 6:16:21 AM

in gaming 1600 speed is the sweet spot

spending the extra 1866 is not really worth it since there will be little to no difference

i just choose 1600> any other as it is good price to performance and its just plug and play for i5 3570k
m
l
!