750w or 1050w?

Status
Not open for further replies.

R3ZAA

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012
Hey guys, right now there is a sale for Corsair HX1050 for $179 AUD, that's $100 off!
Before I knew of this sale, I was planning on getting a Corsair HX750 V2 (80+ Gold efficiency) for $199

Should I spend the extra money on the 750w, or save some cash and get the 1050?

Here are the specs:
CASE: CoolerMaster Storm Enforcer

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI Motherboard

CPU: Intel i7-3770k

GPU: Sapphire 2GB 7850 OC

Optic Drive: LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM

HDD: Seagate 3.5" Barracuda 2TB ST2000DM001

SSD: Intel 330 Series 120GB SSD

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-1600C9D-16GXM 16GB

CPU COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

Card/R: Shintaro Internal Card Reader 3.5" (PCCG) $15

Obviously the 1050w is overkill, but at the price it is now, isn't worth it so I have headroom for future upgrades?

Thanks guys!

Solution

No.

A psu will consume only the power that is demanded of it, regardless of it's maximum rating.

A psu will operate most efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
One negative of a grossly overpowered psu is that it will loaf and be somewhat inefficient.

A second negative in this case is that the HX1050 will be a long psu, some 2" longer.

Even if you are planning on 7850 crossfire, you would only need a 600w psu, so your costs still might be less than that HX1050.

olivierhacking

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

A higher wattage PSU does not mean a higher amount of power being drawn. The amount of power drawn is based purely on your components, whether they are overclocked or not etc.
A higher wattage PSU gives you more headroom for upgrades (so you are more future-proof) and it will have less load then a 750w which means it will likely run quieter and last longer.
So, get the 1050w PSU!

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Too much pwoer is not bad for you system because the components will only draw as much as they need. Therefore, if your computer requires 600 Watts, you will be using 600W of the available 1050W. However, the 1050W power supply itself may draw a little more electricity from the mains which would have an effect on your power bill. Both of the power supplies you listed are Gold rated so the efficiency is very good. Personnally, I would get the 750W supply but its up to you.

No.

A psu will consume only the power that is demanded of it, regardless of it's maximum rating.

A psu will operate most efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
One negative of a grossly overpowered psu is that it will loaf and be somewhat inefficient.

A second negative in this case is that the HX1050 will be a long psu, some 2" longer.

Even if you are planning on 7850 crossfire, you would only need a 600w psu, so your costs still might be less than that HX1050.

Solution

R3ZAA

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Oh! Thanks! :D
So you're saying that in the long run, a 750w would be much cheaper?
I'm also planning on getting a water cooling system for my CPU, GPU, chipset and maybe ram plus the 7850 crossfire.
Would the 750w still support this?

No, a 750w psu will not necessarily be cheaper. I am only saying that all you might ever need is 750w, and usually, such a psu will be cheaper.
But, in this case since the HX1050 is actually cheaper, go with it.

But I do take issue with planning on a water cooling system.
Today's top air coolers like the noctua NH-D14 or phanteks are very good. In a well ventilated case, like yours, they will be just as efficient as the all-in-one liquid coolers.
And, they are less expensive, quieter, and more reliable.

The main reason for liquid cooling is to be able to overclock your parts higher.
My take is to spend those cooling funds on stronger parts to begin with.

R3ZAA

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Wow Thanks! That cleared a lot up! :D
I got a rating of 511w. Is your PSU running under a lot of pressure or is it working very efficiently?

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
My system uses about 75-100w more but it runs very stable. I would suggest that you add about 15-20% to the max suggestion that PSU calculator reccommends just for safety margin so you can add a little more hardware if necessary.

R3ZAA

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

Hahaha the main reasons I wanted a water cooled system was because it runs the components cooler and it looks awesome!
However I may stick with the 750w considering that the 1050 may run less efficiently since it's running under the middle area of its range.

R3ZAA

Honorable
Aug 30, 2012

In that case, I probably will stick with the 750w PSU. Thanks for help!

Status
Not open for further replies.