New Build, Need some input

nil8r153

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hello all, I'm about to buy the following system and need your advice to make this as pain-free as possible. I'm under tremendous stress lately and it's causing me health issues, i can not afford complications :(

EDIT: Just saw the sticky, sorry!

Purchase Date: TOMORROW! Got heaps of assignments to do

Budget Range: Doesn't Matter

System Usage from Most to Least Important: General Functions like Word Processing, email and research followed by Gaming (Diablo 3, Wow, Portal 2, maybe some newer stuff) Max settings not important, I'm a console gamer and don't mind gimped graphics :p

Parts Not Required: Case, PSU, GPU, CD Drive, Hard Drive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: msy.com.au

Overclocking: Maybe, but not for a long time

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: Not sure, buying a 21.5" Monitor

CPU Intel i5-3550 3.3ghz $219.0
MOBO ASUS P8B75-M Intel $79.0
RAM Patriot Gamer2 8G Ram $46.0
SSD Patriot PYRO Sanforce 60GB SSD $65.0
GPU Asus 6770 HD 1gbddr5 Reusing
CASE Coolermaster RC335 Reusing
PSU Corsair CX430 Reusing

SSD is just for OS and some programs, using existing WD 1tb for storage.

By the way, is it problematic for me to have 3 hard drives going at once? My 1 tb is almost full. Perhaps i should just get an external one?

Will be used for some internet surfing, a little bit of photoshop, some 3d modelling later on (ie AutoCAD or the like, for school) and gaming (Diablo 3, Wow, maybe some other newer stuff too),

So in short:
1) Is that build gonna run well and meet my needs?
2) Is 3 Hard Drives at once too much or doesn't it matter?

nil8r153

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Nice! Thanks for your input mate

the only thing i see is the power supply at the min spec for that video card. if it was running is an older system fine for a while then you should be fine. amd min spec is 450w. the only thing i look into before you pull the trigger is that the ram is on the mb tested list or the vendor tested the ram on the mb or chipset. newer x68 and z77 the ram controler is built into the cpu and not the mb. if the vendors dont test there ram you could end up with a system that wont post or bsod a lot. your always better off paying a little more for ram that been qa for your mb.

G

just be aware that HDs use 10 watts apiece to spin up when you first boot. but even with 3 of them and with the rest of your system you're still under 350 watts.

nil8r153

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Alright, I changed the PSU and Ram based on your suggestion, they are now:

Kingston HyperX 8G Kit DDR3 1600 KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX $59.0 (It was on the tested list)

Antec EarthWatts EA-650-Green Watt PSU $92.0

Build is OK, but with some extra funds, I would suggest the following:

1) A 60gb SSD is a bit small. I suggest a 120gb ssd. It will perform better because there are more nand chips that can be accessed in parallel. The extra space will allow faster updates. As a brand, look at Intel or samsung first. They seem to have fewer issues.

2) You indicated no overclocking now, but perhaps in the future. The B75 chipset does not allow cpu overclocking and neither does the 3550. Ivy bridge modestoverclocking is easy, so perhaps you should consider it. You would need a 3570K and a Z77 based motherboard. A 3570K is a bit faster at stock(3.4 vs. 3.3) and can conservatively be overclocked to 4.3. At a 10% price premium, it seems like a good deal.

3) The CX430 is a good quality psu. I think I would continue your plan of reusing it.
It should have no problem with the 6670 and a number of hard drives. In the bios, you can stagger the startup of hard drives if you have many of them to reduce the surge of power initially needed. Once started, they need little power.
4) Ram is cheap, and 64 bit enabled apps like photoshop can use massive amounts of it to reduce work file i/o to the hard drives.
Consider a 16gb kit of 2 x 8gb.

5) I would add an inexpensive aftermarket cpu cooler like the hyper212. The larger 120mm fan will keep your cpu cooler, and run quieter.

6) For desktop work, look for lots of monitor real estate. I suggest buying two identical 1080P monitors. If you buy them at different times, they may be mismatched as to color and appearance. Not a show stopper, but it is nice to drag windows from one to another seamlessly.
Larger is better to my mind if you have the desk space for it. When gaming on one, you can keep e-mail, monitors, or whatever open on the other.

7) I see no problem adding as many hard drives as will fit in your case, limited by the number of sata ports on your motherboard.
If you buy hard drives for storage, look for 1tb and larger drives. They tend to be a bit faster.

You should pay the extra money for the i5-3570K (+$24) and a Z77 motherboard (? AsRock Z77-Pro4-M +$26 ?)

Adjust your expenses on your RAMs and PSU accordingly --- each more easier to purchase 'down the road' than your CPU or motherboard.

That is all.

Over and out.

nil8r153

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

1) I was looking at more space but at the moment I'm using an old 80gb IDE (!) drive for OS so anything is an upgrade. I figure I'll buy the 60 and maybe look at a bit more once their prices are more reasonable. This is not really a long term build, I'm hoping for about 2-3 years with an upgrade here and there.

2) That's the kind of advice I was looking for :) but alas, again I am thwarted by MSY's ridiculous stock levels :(

3) Yeah that's why i bought it, most said it was a sound unit. If it doesn't work out I'll just go for a little drive and return it, no biggie.

4) Good idea. I was about to switch over to a 16gb or single stick of 8gb (for a later upgrade) but then I remembered smorizio's advice (to buy RAM that the vendor has tested). Asus' list isn't very long though so my options are very limited (again, MSY stock). Might change over MOBO.

5) Yep i definitely intend to buy one of those! MSY hasn't got much of a selection, so I'll buy online afterwards. I had a Freezer 7 PRO Rev.2 once, I loved that thing.

6) That's indeed something I've wanted to do for a while, however you anticipated it - no desk space :( Hopefully we'll move soon and i can fit in some semblance of a normal desk.

7) Awesome, thanks for that.

Thanks Geofelt, I appreciate the detailed reply!

to the op the mb vendors only do a sample side...intel qa list is even shorter then asus and msi..you also have to go to crusial and kingston and other ram vendor web page..they have there own ram advisors..tested ram on there web pages. i just said check the ram your going to by to see if msi or a ram vendor has tested it in z77 or x68 chipset mb. there still the older 1.65 and amd ram that floating out there.

nil8r153

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Ahh I see - thanks for the clarification.

I went to the store today and was not surprised to find that everything was out of stock! I ended up with:

Intel i5 3570k
Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Kingston Hyper 8gb Ram 1600
Asus 6770HD
Corsair CX430
1tb Seagate Barracuda

As you can see, only the ram was in stock. I asked a question on here last time and was told that the "K" needs a z68 or p77 motherboard to be fully functional - MSY had none of those :S Honestly, crappy levels.

The computer runs fine but crashes on Skyrim - do i need a PSU upgrade?

Thanks everyone for all your help btw, so nice to be with the times :)

i would use cpu-z and look at the spd info of the ram then check in the mb bios to see if the ram speed and timing is set right. for max speed you have to use the xmp profile for the ram ans set it in dram settings of the mb. for the h mb and k cpu the h boards wont let you over clock the chips. memtest will test your ram. also you want to run open hardware monitor to test your cpu temps. a lot of first time builders will forget the thermal paste or not get the plastic legs of the intel cpu coolers down. a burn in test for cpu/ram is prime95 or intel burn in.