Was buying the amd a10 5800k a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud6483

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
I know I just made a thread on this yesterday but I'm starting to regret it. I'm not an expert when it comes to specs but since the a10 5800k is some sort of apu, would it not be as powerful as an amd fx or something? I already have a GTX 660 Ti for graphics I don't need the integrated stuff.

Solution

I'd say just stick with it and upgrade once something far more substantial comes along - Piledriver or Haswell, for example. The A10 is undeniably on par with the i3-3220 in gaming performance and price, so it's a good match to your 660. Overclocking factored in, it'll likely pass up the i3 with gusto (though from what I can tell, OCing Trinity isn't nearly as easy as OCing other processors).

Something else of interest to note: there are a line of Athlon II X4s coming to the FM2 socket, namely the Athlon 750K. Despite...

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
You shouldn't buy an APU if you don't want to use it's graphics. This entirely defeats the purpose of such a chip. The CPU "part" is slower than a 965+ Phenom II or FX chip.

Return it if possible.

E: Just to elaborate a little more; It's not a bad chip, but since you want to use a dedicated GPU, there are better options.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
If you disable the graphics and overclock it, it would probably be able to overclock more than enough to perform excellently. The graphics is probably like half of the chips power consumption, so disabling it should leave a ton of thermal headroom.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

It should let you overclock excellently if you can disable the IGP of the A10. Like half of its power consumption is the IGP, so one might think that it should overclock excellently with its IGP disabled. IDK if you can fully disable the IGP because I don't have a trinity system, but we could look into this before returning it because maybe it can do the job.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Or something that no one has mentioned yet: Buy an AMD 7xxx GPU and crossfire it with the on-die A10 GPU. AFAIK this is possible and will give you a boost in graphics performance. I don't know why you got an Nvidia card to use with an APU.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I'd say return the A10 and the motherboard, and get yourself at least an i3 (i5 K-edition if you want OCing) to pair it with the 660 Ti.

The Trinity/Llano is for budget gaming, and although it beats up i7s (without dedicated GPU(s)) in modern games, don't expect 1080p with max eyecandy and 60 Hz.

cloud6483

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
i dont plan on getting another monitor anytime soon since right now its at 1600x1200 which is fine with me. im still leaning toward returning but intel is a bit expensive right?

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

i3 has no chance against an overclocked A10 with and without the IGP being disabled. If you go Intel for gaming, you get an i5 or you're wasting your money.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

An i3 has no chance of beating an overclocekd A10. If anything, that 660 Ti should be returned for a 660 non-Ti to get about the same performance at a significantly lower power consumption and saving almost $100.

Trinity is not just for low budget gaming. It can be for high end gaming if overclocked well.

Even without overclocking, the i3 doesn't beat these A10s badly in gaming.They trade blows, depending on how well-threaded the game is. Again, if you go Intel, you get an i5 or you're wasting your money. The i3s have nothing against overclocked AMD CPUs that they don't have against the i5s.

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
My point was more the possible upgrades one can do in a future with going Intel. But yes, an i5 would be the better choice performance wise, ofc. Than again it does cost quite a bit more money. An i3 is not a waste of money, except if you want to play a lot of BF3 multiplayer, maybe.

If I were you, I would return the board and the cpu unless you can't live without it. Also don't buy an i3 like previously said as its only as powerful as the A10 while costing the same. If you can wait, the FX cpus without the integrated graphics will come out in a few weeks most likely, might be a cheap way to get a more powerful quadcore at the same price as the A10. If you can afford it, an i5 is probably still the best choice for gaming.

That being said, the A10 shouldn't have a problem playing games max out at all when paired with a powerful graphics card.

the i3 is a waste of money since the A10 is just as fast and can overclock. The A10 is also cheaper...

cloud6483

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
I guess I'll keep the a10 for now because I can't afford an i5+mobo at the moment. Unless there's another amd proccessor right now that's a bit cheap and is better than the a10 I guess I could do that. By the way, thanks for all the posts. Helps alot :p

Edit: Christmas is probably the time where i can get an i5 but right now i have to stick with amd stuff. also you guys are saying the i3 isn't that good so...a10 it is?

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

It is a waste of money. AMD's offerings are as good or better with overclocking in both performance per core and well-threaded performance.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

If you overclock, then the A10-5800K is better than any i3 and can be greatly so. Eve nat stock, they trade blows with minor wins and minor losses. i3s are good, just not as good while being comparably or even slightly more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.