Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Was buying the amd a10 5800k a mistake?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 6, 2012 2:55:38 PM

I know I just made a thread on this yesterday but I'm starting to regret it. I'm not an expert when it comes to specs but since the a10 5800k is some sort of apu, would it not be as powerful as an amd fx or something? I already have a GTX 660 Ti for graphics I don't need the integrated stuff.
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 3:01:15 PM

You shouldn't buy an APU if you don't want to use it's graphics. This entirely defeats the purpose of such a chip. The CPU "part" is slower than a 965+ Phenom II or FX chip.

Return it if possible.

E: Just to elaborate a little more; It's not a bad chip, but since you want to use a dedicated GPU, there are better options.
Score
October 6, 2012 3:19:35 PM

Sigh ok
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 4:59:40 PM

^ Yep, you should ask questions and do research, then buy a CPU. Not the other way around :D ..
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 5:06:15 PM

It's not slower than a PII or FX. It's faster than the 8150 in some circumstances. But, if you;re going to return it, you'll have to return the mobo as well. If you're going to get a new CPU, get the i5.
Score
October 6, 2012 5:49:18 PM

As long as i can max out games with decent framerates i can deal with keeping it until christmas or something
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 6:06:12 PM

yeah , a mistake I almost made looking at only passmark benchmark , but looked here
and just kept my 1100 be , no real gains in the areas I am interested in , in fact slower in many
Score
October 6, 2012 6:08:57 PM

Meh if I send it back to newegg I have to wait forever to be able to get a new mobo and cpu. Poo.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 6:18:59 PM

If you disable the graphics and overclock it, it would probably be able to overclock more than enough to perform excellently. The graphics is probably like half of the chips power consumption, so disabling it should leave a ton of thermal headroom.
Score
October 6, 2012 6:19:59 PM

wait so if i disable the graphics on the chip it'll run faster?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 6:21:14 PM

cloud6483 said:
wait so if i disable the graphics on the chip it'll run faster?

It should let you overclock excellently if you can disable the IGP of the A10. Like half of its power consumption is the IGP, so one might think that it should overclock excellently with its IGP disabled. IDK if you can fully disable the IGP because I don't have a trinity system, but we could look into this before returning it because maybe it can do the job.
Score
October 6, 2012 6:23:41 PM

oh cool thanks. the parts come on monday or tuesday. i dont know alot about overclocking either but i just know i should have alot of cooling haha
Score
October 6, 2012 6:25:39 PM

Or something that no one has mentioned yet: Buy an AMD 7xxx GPU and crossfire it with the on-die A10 GPU. AFAIK this is possible and will give you a boost in graphics performance. I don't know why you got an Nvidia card to use with an APU.
Score
October 6, 2012 6:28:35 PM

this is the first decent computer im trying to build, i dont know alot so whatever i can do ill just return things and get what you guys reccomend
Score
October 6, 2012 6:29:01 PM

I'd say return the A10 and the motherboard, and get yourself at least an i3 (i5 K-edition if you want OCing) to pair it with the 660 Ti.

The Trinity/Llano is for budget gaming, and although it beats up i7s (without dedicated GPU(s)) in modern games, don't expect 1080p with max eyecandy and 60 Hz.
Score
October 6, 2012 6:36:25 PM

i dont plan on getting another monitor anytime soon since right now its at 1600x1200 which is fine with me. im still leaning toward returning but intel is a bit expensive right?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 7:03:14 PM

cloud6483 said:
i dont plan on getting another monitor anytime soon since right now its at 1600x1200 which is fine with me. im still leaning toward returning but intel is a bit expensive right?

i3 has no chance against an overclocked A10 with and without the IGP being disabled. If you go Intel for gaming, you get an i5 or you're wasting your money.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 7:04:32 PM

An i3 isn't really more expansive and way better for gaming, paired with your 660 TI.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 7:05:42 PM

A Bad Day said:
I'd say return the A10 and the motherboard, and get yourself at least an i3 (i5 K-edition if you want OCing) to pair it with the 660 Ti.

The Trinity/Llano is for budget gaming, and although it beats up i7s (without dedicated GPU(s)) in modern games, don't expect 1080p with max eyecandy and 60 Hz.

An i3 has no chance of beating an overclocekd A10. If anything, that 660 Ti should be returned for a 660 non-Ti to get about the same performance at a significantly lower power consumption and saving almost $100.

Trinity is not just for low budget gaming. It can be for high end gaming if overclocked well.

whatsthatnoise said:
An i3 isn't really more expansive and way better for gaming, paired with your 660 TI.

Even without overclocking, the i3 doesn't beat these A10s badly in gaming.They trade blows, depending on how well-threaded the game is. Again, if you go Intel, you get an i5 or you're wasting your money. The i3s have nothing against overclocked AMD CPUs that they don't have against the i5s.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 7:34:21 PM

My point was more the possible upgrades one can do in a future with going Intel. But yes, an i5 would be the better choice performance wise, ofc. Than again it does cost quite a bit more money. An i3 is not a waste of money, except if you want to play a lot of BF3 multiplayer, maybe.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 6, 2012 7:37:03 PM

cloud6483 said:
If I were you, I would return the board and the cpu unless you can't live without it. Also don't buy an i3 like previously said as its only as powerful as the A10 while costing the same. If you can wait, the FX cpus without the integrated graphics will come out in a few weeks most likely, might be a cheap way to get a more powerful quadcore at the same price as the A10. If you can afford it, an i5 is probably still the best choice for gaming.

That being said, the A10 shouldn't have a problem playing games max out at all when paired with a powerful graphics card.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 6, 2012 7:37:55 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
My point was more the possible upgrades one can do in a future with going Intel. But yes, an i5 would be the better choice performance wise, ofc. Than again it does cost quite a bit more money. An i3 is not a waste of money, except if you want to play a lot of BF3 multiplayer, maybe.

the i3 is a waste of money since the A10 is just as fast and can overclock. The A10 is also cheaper...
Score
October 6, 2012 7:46:17 PM

I guess I'll keep the a10 for now because I can't afford an i5+mobo at the moment. Unless there's another amd proccessor right now that's a bit cheap and is better than the a10 I guess I could do that. By the way, thanks for all the posts. Helps alot :p 

Edit: Christmas is probably the time where i can get an i5 but right now i have to stick with amd stuff. also you guys are saying the i3 isn't that good so...a10 it is?
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 7:48:01 PM

whatsthatnoise said:

It is a waste of money. AMD's offerings are as good or better with overclocking in both performance per core and well-threaded performance.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 7:49:29 PM

cloud6483 said:
I guess I'll keep the a10 for now because I can't afford an i5+mobo at the moment. Unless there's another amd proccessor right now that's a bit cheap and is better than the a10 I guess I could do that. By the way, thanks for all the posts. Helps alot :p 

Edit: Christmas is probably the time where i can get an i5 but right now i have to stick with amd stuff. also you guys are saying the i3 isn't that good so...a10 it is?

If you overclock, then the A10-5800K is better than any i3 and can be greatly so. Eve nat stock, they trade blows with minor wins and minor losses. i3s are good, just not as good while being comparably or even slightly more expensive.
Score
October 6, 2012 7:51:36 PM

Okay that makes sense. So about the i5, what amd processor about the same as that? maybe later on i could get something like that
Score
a b à CPUs
a b À AMD
October 6, 2012 7:58:12 PM

Well the i5 is as good as it gets and there really isn't anything from AMD thats really that good for gaming.

Once the FX 4350 and the 6350 come out they will probably be decent but the i5 will still be faster.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 7:59:01 PM

cloud6483 said:
Okay that makes sense. So about the i5, what amd processor about the same as that? maybe later on i could get something like that

Any AMD processor more powerful than the A10 would require a new motherboard with an AM3+ socket, and to match the i5 in gaming performance would require a little bit of tweaking and tuning in the BIOS. Nothing terribly difficult, but some people are put off by that nonetheless.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 8:00:45 PM

There are no processors that are the same as, say, the i5 2500k.

Though, the difference between the Phenom II 965 BE and the i5 2500k is between 20-25% in the i5 2500k's favor, but the i5 costs double (100%) more than the 965.

In all honesty, I don't see why you would buy an i5 unless your doing heavy 3D rendering, video editing, programming and photoshop all at the same time, never mind the i7s.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 8:07:46 PM

whatsthatnoise said:
You shouldn't buy an APU if you don't want to use it's graphics. This entirely defeats the purpose of such a chip. The CPU "part" is slower than a 965+ Phenom II or FX chip.

Return it if possible.

E: Just to elaborate a little more; It's not a bad chip, but since you want to use a dedicated GPU, there are better options.

It was not the worse thing ever its still a pretty good CPU that can be overclocked to 4.4Ghz easy and i would rather have it over a 4170fx. The benchmarks show that a A10 is usually as good as a 980 and just as good as a 8150fx.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 8:10:40 PM

luciferano said:
i3 has no chance against an overclocked A10 with and without the IGP being disabled. If you go Intel for gaming, you get an i5 or you're wasting your money.

1000% True if people just stop and look and the benchmarks. Not to mention it probably can play most games close to max on 720P or on medium on his monitor hell he could just get a 6670 and be done with it. But a APU is for someone who is using the onboard video card. That is what makes it such a great Value but even as a CPU only it stands pretty close to a I3 with out being overclock.
Score
October 6, 2012 8:11:13 PM

Hm...tough decision to make right now. Some are saying It's pretty decent but the other amd cpu's wouldn't make a difference(I'm assuming) still intel seems the way to go but that'll have to wait until the holidays.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 8:13:00 PM

jdwii said:
It was not the worse thing ever its still a pretty good CPU that can be overclocked to 4.4Ghz easy and i would rather have it over a 4170fx. The benchmarks show that a A10 is usually as good as a 980 and just as good as a 8150fx.

Clock for clock, Trinity beats Bulldozer generally by almost exactly 15% according to Tom's and Trinity overclocks far better than Phenom II, so I'd say that the A10 is pretty damn good and is a huge value. As an APU, it has excellent entry-level graphics and as a CPU, it overclocks incredibly well.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 8:13:13 PM

MajinCry said:
Though, the difference between the Phenom II 965 BE and the i5 2500k is between 20-25% in the i5 2500k's favor, but the i5 costs double (100%) more than the 965.

The difference between a 965BE and 2500k is far greater than 25%, though this varies on the workload. For gaming, it can be as negligible as 5% all the way up to 65% (tends to be more around 40%ish). That's not even factoring in overclocking - a 965BE can typically hit about 4.0 to 4.2GHz, which is a 24% increase at best; a 3570k (which is more relevant than the 2500k) can typically hit about 4.5GHz, which is a 33% increase over stock.
Score
October 6, 2012 8:20:18 PM

This is the thing that confuses me the most, when I was looking for a cpu I saw that this brand new trinity thing was up to 3.8GHz but apparently a cpu with a lower number could beat it due to "power" I can learn alot here o.o
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 8:28:58 PM

cloud6483 said:
Hm...tough decision to make right now. Some are saying It's pretty decent but the other amd cpu's wouldn't make a difference(I'm assuming) still intel seems the way to go but that'll have to wait until the holidays.

I'd say just stick with it and upgrade once something far more substantial comes along - Piledriver or Haswell, for example. The A10 is undeniably on par with the i3-3220 in gaming performance and price, so it's a good match to your 660. Overclocking factored in, it'll likely pass up the i3 with gusto (though from what I can tell, OCing Trinity isn't nearly as easy as OCing other processors).

Something else of interest to note: there are a line of Athlon II X4s coming to the FM2 socket, namely the Athlon 750K. Despite bearing the Athlon II name, they are based on Piledriver/Trinity. Since it lacks the IGP the A10 has, it's possible that it'd be able to overclock beyond what the A10 is capable of, and for a fraction of the price. This is all speculation, though.

cloud6483 said:
This is the thing that confuses me the most, when I was looking for a cpu I saw that this brand new trinity thing was up to 3.8GHz but apparently a cpu with a lower number could beat it due to "power" I can learn alot here o.o

Clock speed is a very superficial number without knowing what the CPU's actual architecture is. For example, the A10's Piledriver architecture functions much differently than a Core i's Ivy Bridge architecture, which is why a 3.4GHz i5 can outperform a 3.8GHz A10.
October 7, 2012 2:43:13 PM

Best answer selected by Cloud6483.
Score
October 8, 2012 6:17:24 PM

I have a question

so let's make a vote and decide,

Should I buy a A10-5800K or A Bulldozer FX-8150 where all other HW are identical.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 7:20:37 PM

If you go with the 8150, you'd have to disable the second core of each module or cut down its P states and in both examples you'd also have to overclock the CPU/NB frequency considerably in order to beat the A10 in overclocking performance.

Also, if you want to consider an FX CPU, then you might as well wait a little longer to get Vishera FX CPUs that will beat the A10s with ease.

Any FX CPU with the same core count has roughly identical binning, so if you get an FX-8120 instead of an 8150, you save a few bucks and get the same chip that overcocks equally well.

Since you already have an A10, you might as well stick with it and simply overclock it, maybe with a better cooler. However, if you want to upgrade then you can, just be sure that you're willing to spend the money for it.
Score
October 8, 2012 9:08:11 PM

My upgrade time would probably be christmas anyway, should be able to get a new mobo and cpu by then. Are any new cpu's coming out then? or like later on next year. Keeping the a10 is actually good for me because i can easily put it into another case that i have left over.
Score
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 9:40:03 PM

cloud6483 said:
My upgrade time would probably be christmas anyway, should be able to get a new mobo and cpu by then. Are any new cpu's coming out then? or like later on next year. Keeping the a10 is actually good for me because i can easily put it into another case that i have left over.

In theory, there should be a new line of FX processors releasing this month (the Vishera procs luciferano mentioned). They should have a noticeable improvement over Bulldozer, and likely Trinity as well with the addition of the L3 cache.

At stock clocks it still likely won't keep pace with Ivy Bridge, but overclocking and any other tweaking you may want to do could (keyword: could) easily put it right on par with an i5.
Score
October 8, 2012 10:49:53 PM

maybe i could upgrade to intel in the future, seems to be far better than amd after seeing what everyone has said
Score
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2012 11:40:54 PM

cloud6483 said:
maybe i could upgrade to intel in the future, seems to be far better than amd after seeing what everyone has said

We'll just have to wait and see how they actually stack up against each other - nothing's more definitive than actually testing the products themselves, so make sure to do the research when you feel you need to upgrade.
Score
October 9, 2012 12:49:48 AM

Gotcha
Score
December 13, 2012 5:36:03 PM

cloud6483 said:
I know I just made a thread on this yesterday but I'm starting to regret it. I'm not an expert when it comes to specs but since the a10 5800k is some sort of apu, would it not be as powerful as an amd fx or something? I already have a GTX 660 Ti for graphics I don't need the integrated stuff.

Sorry for bothering after so much time, i just wanted to know the specs of ur system, i wanna build a new one with A10 and i read a few posts which say a fast RAM is required to get the juice out of A10
Score
!