Sign in with
Your question

Why does it freeze? (HD 6770)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2012 5:49:10 PM

So I've learned a lot today. I can't overclock anything in my BIOS ( Dell sucks ), the 6770 is a 5770 with a different name and putting the highest settings on GPU in Catalyst freezes. So my only hope is the Graphics Card at the moment.

Which is what I need help with, as its apparent that making my CPU faster isn't going to happen I tried messing around in Catalyst again and set the clock speed all the way up to 960MHz and the memory to 1445MHz and the problem then is it freezes. It freezes even on Minecraft, infact it froze faster on there than on COD4. It's not overheating either, I exited out as soon as it froze and it was 61C. Which people say even 80C is safe. So what is there any way around this? Or do I need to buy a new GPU if I want it to be faster?

I had to get a pre built PC because my parents were buying it for Christmas and didn't trust me when I said I could build my own. :|

More about : freeze 6770

April 10, 2012 5:51:31 PM

When you say freeze, do you mean it stutters for a second, or do you mean it locks up and forces you to reboot?

If you have a hard lock up with a high overclock while having good temps, voltage may be a factor, but I wouldn't recommend doing voltage tweaks without knowing what you are doing.

It may also be a lack of power from the PSU or amps.
m
l
April 10, 2012 5:51:48 PM

Add more voltage.
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2012 5:58:16 PM

bystander said:
When you say freeze, do you mean it stutters for a second, or do you mean it locks up and forces you to reboot?

If you have a hard lock up with a high overclock while having good temps, voltage may be a factor, but I wouldn't recommend doing voltage tweaks without knowing what you are doing.

It may also be a lack of power from the PSU or amps.

What I mean is the actual game locks up completely it unlocks itself after a probably 15-20 seconds but it does it again and again and doesn't stop, so I have to sit there and go to the task manager to quit the game or get lucky when I hit the start button on my keyboard.

And the thing I was saying at the beginning is because Dell and this motherboard are stupid I cannot change voltages or anything. I get a few settings in the BIOS but nothing that's gonna help or hurt me.
m
l
April 10, 2012 6:00:49 PM

you should add enough voltage to the overclocked components to work, but be aware that if you overvoltage it too much you will kill it.

Just make sure what you are doing before doing so, look over the internet for BASE VALUES, overclocks that don't show problems, and after each clock change run a stress test to check if the system is stable.

be aware the overclocking GPUS is a very delicate task and can easily toast your video card, probably will avoid warrantly.
m
l
April 10, 2012 6:09:04 PM

You add voltage by either flashing your video card bios or through a utility like msi afterburner. Not through your computer's bios.

Afterburner is the easiest to use and safer than bios flashing. Look at some guides for 6770 overclocking.
m
l
April 10, 2012 7:28:12 PM

slicedtoad said:
You add voltage by either flashing your video card bios or through a utility like msi afterburner. Not through your computer's bios.

Afterburner is the easiest to use and safer than bios flashing. Look at some guides for 6770 overclocking.

whats a good voltage to set it at on afterburner?
m
l
April 10, 2012 7:42:12 PM

you need to check 6770 overclocking guides, you must just increase enough for the overclock to work, and there is a limit, each voltage increase will increase a lot the power the GPU will need and also will create more heat, you can't leat the GPU overheat or it will be toasted.
m
l
April 10, 2012 7:56:42 PM

MSI AB limits you so i doubt that the highest voltage setting will hurt your card from overvoltage. It might overheat though. At the highest, keep the card below 85C on furmark and below 75 on games. If you want the card to last a while, go 5C or 10C lower than that. Recurve the fan speed with MSI AB too. And don't run furmark for hours.

That said, you are responsible for your ocing. It is entirely possible that max volts on AB will blow your card. It could also damage it over time. Overclocking is not garanteed in anyway and breaks your warranty. Every card is different (as in every 6770 is different) and it's impossible to accurately predict what will happen.

If you don't mind the slim chance of having to buy a new card, just slide the voltage bar all the way up and see what clock speeds you can get stable at. If it's too hot, knock the voltage down an try again.

edit:
Oh, just as a caution, tell me what the max voltage in AB is first.
m
l
April 10, 2012 8:01:03 PM

slicedtoad said:
MSI AB limits you so i doubt that the highest voltage setting will hurt your card from overvoltage. It might overheat though. At the highest, keep the card below 85C on furmark and below 75 on games. If you want the card to last a while, go 5C or 10C lower than that. Recurve the fan speed with MSI AB too. And don't run furmark for hours.

That said, you are responsible for your ocing. It is entirely possible that max volts on AB will blow your card. It could also damage it over time. Overclocking is not garanteed in anyway and breaks your warranty. Every card is different (as in every 6770 is different) and it's impossible to accurately predict what will happen.

If you don't mind the slim chance of having to buy a new card, just slide the voltage bar all the way up and see what clock speeds you can get stable at. If it's too hot, knock the voltage down an try again.

edit:
Oh, just as a caution, tell me what the max voltage in AB is first.

You can't make that assumption. AB's default settings limit the OC of the core and memory, only because AMD put limits in the bios. However, when you remove the AMD restrictions, MSI AB will let you go well beyond safe. Voltage is not even something AMD allows to adjust, but MSI AB does allow you to, and you do have to be careful.
m
l
April 10, 2012 8:14:32 PM

if your blindly increasing the clocks maxed out with out any testing then you really don't have any business overclocking unless you want a blown computer.

you should fine what your cards base voltage overclock limit is first
m
l
April 10, 2012 8:28:23 PM

For most cards, the max voltage on ab is relatively safe (from overvolting, not temps). I realize not all cards will be this way though, which is why i asked what AB limits him to.
That way i can double check that it is a safe voltage.

The voltage in MSI AB is limited to what MSI considers safeish (with most cards) and you have to jump through hoops to go over their limits.

Info on ocing the 6770 is a bit hard to find though, it's usually more expensive cards that are oced.

edit:
also, overclocking a gpu isn't safe by definition. Even just increasing the clock rate without touching the voltage could potentially damage your card since it gets hotter. If they could, they would just sell the cards with more voltage and a higher clock rate.

It's about risk, and how much you are willing to take. With a stock cooler temperature will likely become a problem before overvoltage. I haven't played around with a 6770 but i have played with 6670s, 6850s and 6950s. Only the 6950 could go anywhere near the max safe voltage without overheating because it's wc.
m
l
!