Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will my processor be a bottleneck?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 6, 2012 4:24:21 PM

Hi, I rarely use forums and have tried searching but couldn't find anything strictly relevant.

I was recently speaking to friends about wether to upgrade my system (for gaming) or hold on and buy a new pc. They agreed it would be worthwhile upgrading. I am currently running:

Mobo: P5QL PRO
Ram: 4gb generic 800mhz?
GPU: GTX 285
CPU: Q8200 quad @2.33ghz
HDD: Unsure but guessing pretty basic (can find out if necessary or relevant)

I was planning on upgrading:

Ram: 8gb crucial 1066mhz
GPU: Dependant on wether I inherit my friends ATI 6770. If not Nvidia GTX560 Ti or GTX580

My friend spoke to someone recently who claimed that for gaming an i7 isn't much better than a q6600 @2.4ghz but that doesn't sound right to me so I thought I would ask here. If I make the upgrades listed above is my CPU gonna cut it with the latest games?

More about : processor bottleneck

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 4:41:29 PM

Personally i would wait and do a full system upgrade, as everything in that system is almost half a decade old. You're really limited with how far you can stretch your legs on that P43 board.

Also you're running a 32-but OS, hence 8GB of memory is not addressable by the OS, you'll have to move over to 64-bit (Winows 7 i'd recommend).

A Q8200 will not be able to keep up with modern hardware, the 6770 might be a good pair with it, but i wouldn't go much higher. Also your friend is wrong overall, the i7's (even the first generation Bloomfields) perform much better then the old Core 2 Quads, the reintroduction of hyperthreading help a bit with that as well. While most games still don't utilze HT, the performance of the actually cores matter.

October 6, 2012 4:51:20 PM

ya, i believe your needs an upgrade...

the nvidia gtx 580 sli would be great for gaming..
Ram upgrade to least 1.6 mhz.
i7 CPU are amazing for gaming and performance(3770k) anything with K (overclocking)
also mobo upgrade to: MSI z77-gb80 or ASUS rampage IV
power supply : 800w
HardDisk : SSD
m
l
Related resources
October 6, 2012 4:52:03 PM

CDdude55 said:
Personally i would wait and do a full system upgrade, as everything in that system is almost half a decade old. You're really limited with how far you can stretch your legs on that P43 board.

Also you're running a 32-but OS, hence 8GB of memory is not addressable by the OS, you'll have to move over to 64-bit (Winows 7 i'd recommend).

A Q8200 will not be able to keep up with modern hardware, the 6770 might be a good pair with it, but i wouldn't go much higher. Also your friend is wrong overall, the i7's (even the first generation Bloomfields) perform much better then the old Core 2 Quads, the reintroduction of hyperthreading help a bit with that as well. While most games still don't utilze HT, the performance of the actually cores matter.

Thanks for the reply I had a feeling it sounded a bit too convenient to be true. Just a small thing I did mention about upgrading the OS to 64bit. Thanks again.
m
l
October 6, 2012 4:57:13 PM

ashrafkreidieh said:
ya, i believe your needs an upgrade...

the nvidia gtx 580 sli would be great for gaming..
Ram upgrade to least 1.6 mhz.
i7 CPU are amazing for gaming and performance(3770k) anything with K (overclocking)
also mobo upgrade to: MSI z77-gb80 or ASUS rampage IV
power supply : 800w
HardDisk : SSD

Sounds pricey plus I don't have the knowledge to overclock or even build a system.
m
l
October 6, 2012 4:58:59 PM

Best answer selected by Napalmhardcore.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 6, 2012 4:59:15 PM

@ashrafkreidieh

That's some bad advice, sorry to say. The 580 is a year old and is power hog. And in SLI? It'd eat power and you'd have microstutter.

The i7 is a good CPU, but the i5 is just as powerful and $100 cheaper.

The Rampage is good, but an expensive mobo.

800w isn't needed unless you're doing SLI/CFX.
m
l
!