New build won't post

tonylemesmer

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hello,
I am building a PC for my son and I just cant get it to post.
I am getting power through the board because the processor fan and graphics card fan go on, aswell as the caps lock light on the keyboard.

There is no beep and no display on screen.
In case you can spot anything obvious, here is the list of components;

Processor = AMD ATHLON II X2 250, AM3, 3.0GHZ, 2MB CACHE, 65W, 45NM, RETAIL
Board = Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P AM2 AMD Motherboard
Case = Best Value EZCool NA705B SATA PSU USB 2.0 Black ATX PC Computer Case 500W New
Graphics card = Radeon Vapor x hd 4890
Memory = Corsair memory 2GB DDR2 PC2 5300 667MHz Dual Channel RAM

tonylemesmer

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: bought the components over the last few weeks via Ebay and Amazon.

Budget Range: approx £500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: homework (yeah right!) learning to code, minecraft, watching movies, a bit of gaming.

Parts Not Required: I have all bar a wifi card.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: local store (microdirect.co.uk, or ebay)

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: I don't know where to start with overclocking

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

bronxblue

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Same problem I am having. Have you tried to remove the memory from the board and see if it at least beeps? That way, you can rule out if the processor and/or card are not working.

tonylemesmer

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
i've taken memory out yes. No beep at all.

Fortunately the seller accepts that it seems like the motherboard is faulty and is going to refund me.

Now i'm looking for another socket A motherboard that will accept that processor.

that memory is not on the qvl do you have any other ddr2 hanging around you can test?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3107#memory%20support%20list

did you put the 4890 in the blue slot? It has two 6 pin power connectors did u connect them.
what power supply are you using?
power requirements for card =
500 Watt or greater power supply with 2x 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connector recommended

remember you only need 3 things to boot
cpu
ram
video

so one of those 3 things are not working correctly

I would start off by working your way through our standard troubleshooting checklist. Many times this type of issue is something simple that was overlooked during the build process. There's a link to the checklist in my signature.

finn281175

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Looking at this setup I would stick my neck out and say that the psu does not have 2X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connectors. You need these for this card. This would certainly cause you a problem!

check that both the 24 pin and 4/8 pin atx power is plug in. also check that the cmos jumper is in the right spot.as the mb was used the pre owner may have left the jumper in the clear mode. check that you have the power and reset cables on the right pins you could have the hd led on the reset pins and the mb is stuck in reset. the last issue is the mb is grounding out on a standoff or the case. you can try putting the mb on a table and see if it posts. the last thing to check is bent pins on the cpu and cpu slot.