Did I destroy my CPU?

PhenomPhan

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I have an AMD Phenom II 1045T CPU and I think I might have really screwed up my CPU. I took the CPU out of the socket to clean off the old thermal paste and while cleaning it I bent the outermost pin on the left side of the chip. Did I destroy my CPU?

Solution
Probably not BUT you are going to have to be very careful when fixing the bent pin. Take a .5 inch mechanical pencil and empty out the lead. Take the head of the .5 inch pencil and carefully insert it over the pin. Now carefully and gently bend the pin back into place. The most important thing is to be slow and careful. If you break the pin completely then you really are screwed.
Probably not BUT you are going to have to be very careful when fixing the bent pin. Take a .5 inch mechanical pencil and empty out the lead. Take the head of the .5 inch pencil and carefully insert it over the pin. Now carefully and gently bend the pin back into place. The most important thing is to be slow and careful. If you break the pin completely then you really are screwed.

Solution

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Do what rds said about rebending the pin back in place. Next time though, just take off the metal that holds the CPU to the mobo and clean the cpu while its still in the socket carefully with cotton swabs. It might take a little longer but you wont ever bend pins that way, much safer

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

I've never really had this idea hit me before, excellent tool for the job. Thanks as well for the next time I do this!