Advice building a PC

Kaiko01

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Hello guys, I'm new to the site, I've been reading a lot and kind of stuck on what to buy..

I'm looking to build a pc which Is mainly going to be used as a home entertainment pc.. Ie: web browsing, games (basic gaming), photo editing.

what do you guys recommend as the best motherboard to get? I was looking at z77 or will z68 be ok? I want to get something that will last me a long time.. I'm thinking also to get the ivy bridge i5 3570k processor.. I don't know much about graphics cards, but I don't need anything amazing..

My budget is around £300-400.. I already have the case, power supply and hard drive, although thinking of getting an SSD?

Will appreciate your experienced help.

Kaiko01

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
Sorry guys, a newbie mistake

Approximate Purchase Date: the next week or so

Budget Range: £300-400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: web browsing, basic gaming, photo editing

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: no preferred

Parts Preferences: INTEL CPU

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor : 1080p 32inch tv

Kaiko01

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
What would be a good motherboard? Looking for something future proof, I've been looking at ASUS P8Z77-V PRO?

would it not be better value to go £20 extra for i5 3570K?

I'm looking to build something quick and reliable.

That is an excellent motherboard, but only if you need all those features and have the budget. The extra you will save by going with a basic mobo, you can put towards that SSD (a much better upgrade than extra mobo features, IMO).

Only spend the extra on the CPU if you want to overclock (you don't need to for moderate gaming or anything else). If you do, you'll need a good CPU cooler as well - BUT you're already way over budget with all that. Aren't you trying to stay under £400?

Kaiko01

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I am trying to stay under £400 but I don't want something which in a years time can't be upgraded slightly and is slow.

I'm finding it hard which chipset to go for, for mid range.

I won't be OC'ing anytime soon so I don't need to worry about a good CPU FAN at the moment.

I've always bought top end in the pat so it lasts rather than buying things which isnt future proof. So if I need to spend a bit extra then that is ok if it will save me in the long run.

In that case, yes - go for the expensive mobo and the i5-3570K.

Also, the HD 6850 will last a while, but after probably 3 years or so, you'll want to upgrade. A better investment would be the HD 7850, but that's a good bit more - should last a good 4-5 years though, playing games at medium settings or higher.

(This is quickly turning into a £700 build... :pt1cable: )

Kaiko01

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
I know lol, I was looking at the H77 from asus, was going to purchase, but then found this deal,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-I5-3450-3-10Ghz-3-50GHz-Turbo-Asus-P8Z77-V-LX-Motherboard-CPU-Bundle-/140746570403?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item20c5263aa3#ht_4961wt_1090

Would you say that is good value? I saw a Asus p8h77-v le for £75 + I5 3450 for £140.. All together £225.. For £5 extra I get a Z77? Worth it?

Or is ASUS not reliable?

I will then purchase a SSD + graphics card separately.

Sorry I ask too many questions, it's my first build I don't want to encounter problems

Kaiko01

Honorable
Jun 8, 2012
It's problem after problem with this build.. Will a 250W power supply be enough to power, SSD, MOTHERBOARD, HARDDRIVE, CD DRIVE, etcc?

Everything but the video card... The best card you can get that will work with your 250w PSU is the HD 7750, which is a good step down from the 6850. But it can still play any game out there on at least medium, and you have a great foundation for a future PSU and GPU upgrade. You don't even have to buy a video card right now if you want to save up $200-300 or so to get a $50 PSU and a great video card.