Sign in with
Your question

BF3 - AA Deferred? 7850 Performance question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2012 7:11:26 PM

i got my 7850 today and started playing at Ultra settings. FPS average was 35, which i thought was way low. i turned AA Deferred off and left everything else at Ultra and immediately got an average of 55, which seemed more like what i should expect.

so...what is AF Deferred? also, doesn't 35 seem low on 100% Ultra settings?

also, i ran 3dmark06 with my 2500k, 8gb RAM, and radeon 7850 and i only got a score of 24,000. i also thought that was way low. nothing is OC'd. what do you make of that?
a c 290 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 7:13:48 PM

It's a video quality technique which softens the edges. It does hurt performance though :) 
April 10, 2012 7:29:34 PM

7850 simply can't pull off Ultra with the various multi-sampling techniques, its a mid-range card bro.
There's an article on Tom's about AA, MSAA and all that jazz, you should read that to determine which to enable, and probably reduce some of the IQ settings in the game to get proper fps.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 7:34:47 PM

freddy1765 said:
7850 simply can't pull off Ultra with the various multi-sampling techniques, its a mid-range card bro.
There's an article on Tom's about AA, MSAA and all that jazz, you should read that to determine which to enable, and probably reduce some of the IQ settings in the game to get proper fps.

freddy its a top five fastest single gpu card out there right now. its faster then the 570 which comes close to maxing it out.

OP your fps sound about right. my 6950 can play with everything on high with the filters at 3/4 max.
April 10, 2012 7:39:20 PM

so is high with 3/4 filter better, or is ultra with no filters better?
April 10, 2012 7:42:01 PM

OP, Put everything on ultra except AA (I also leave motion blur off). You should be running smooth as butter. OC the cpu and gpu if you want to play around with the AA. Enjoy the new card :) 
a c 290 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 7:42:01 PM

I'd say high with filters. It just looks better that way.
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 7:56:49 PM

Sunius said:
I'd say high with filters. It just looks better that way.

he can run ultra without aa maxed which will still look better.
a c 290 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 8:22:39 PM

No way. AA and AF are giving way more eye candy than ultra vs high textures.
a c 140 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 8:29:05 PM

Read over this article. It might be a good read for you, page 6. I think most people are turning off AA Deffered as it uses the older MSAA. AA Post uses the newer FXAA which has a much smaller hit to the GPU. For a 7850 the hit from MSAA would really drop your frames. My suggestion is turn it off and go with AA POST (FXAA). It looks better.

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/11/02/battlefield_3_sin...
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 8:29:52 PM

Sunius said:
No way. AA and AF are giving way more eye candy than ultra vs high textures.

go ahead and disagree with the general opinion then we don't need even medium textures as long as we can max aa and af right?
April 10, 2012 8:39:09 PM

I wouldn't recommend the in-game AA deferred, instead download the FXAA injector for BF3. It works better than the in-game AA deferred and hurts performance less. The FXAA injector also alters the color scheme of BF3, I like it because it makes enemies easier to spot, and no one has been banned for using it and the thread about it has been floating around the EA forums for months, so it's not forbidden to use.
April 10, 2012 9:46:53 PM

jay2tall said:
Read over this article. It might be a good read for you, page 6. I think most people are turning off AA Deffered as it uses the older MSAA. AA Post uses the newer FXAA which has a much smaller hit to the GPU. For a 7850 the hit from MSAA would really drop your frames. My suggestion is turn it off and go with AA POST (FXAA). It looks better.

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/11/02/battlefield_3_sin...

i think that pretty much sums it up. i'll turn off the MSAA.
a c 140 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 10:38:42 PM

I am also playing with some FXAA injectors that tweet FXAA. just search it, it's interesting.
April 10, 2012 11:01:23 PM

with MSAA turned off i have my 7850 OC'd to 1050/1450 (compared to reference 860/1200) which is about a 20% OC and i played BF3 at Ultra settings otherwise (no FXAA Injector) and FRAPS ran for 5 minutes and my average FPS was 62 in multiplayer. so i'm pretty happy. i did it on a few maps and the average FPS was >55 on all of them.

also, weird, but the 7850 OC does not increase the temperature but by about 3 degrees from stock clocks.
a c 140 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 11:04:27 PM

tuffluck said:
with MSAA turned off i have my 7850 OC'd to 1050/1450 (compared to reference 860/1200) which is about a 20% OC and i played BF3 at Ultra settings otherwise (no FXAA Injector) and FRAPS ran for 5 minutes and my average FPS was 62 in multiplayer. so i'm pretty happy. i did it on a few maps and the average FPS was >55 on all of them.

also, weird, but the 7850 OC does not increase the temperature but by about 3 degrees from stock clocks.

Try out the FXAA injector it just copies a few files into the BF3 directory, you can always delete them. I suggest installing the exe to your desktop and copying in the files yourself. It looks nice.

As far as temps. If you are not increasing the voltage it won't add that much heat, especially if you have a decent cooler. Most of the stock coolers have been pretty good on both the AMD and Nvidia side lately.
April 10, 2012 11:06:31 PM

jay2tall said:
Try out the FXAA injector it just copies a few files into the BF3 directory, you can always delete them. I suggest installing the exe to your desktop and copying in the files yourself. It looks nice.

As far as temps. If you are not increasing the voltage it won't add that much heat, especially if you have a decent cooler. Most of the stock coolers have been pretty good on both the AMD and Nvidia side lately.

the OC did not increase the voltage, and only increased maximum temps by 3c in bf3 to 62c. i think i am okay. i may also try out the fxaa injector too, thanks.

i've not done any stress test on the gpu, but i hear a lot of people can OC the 7850 quite a lot. should i run a stress test anyway? suggestions?
a c 140 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 11:38:17 PM

^
The Unigine Heaven benchmark will give it a good go
http://unigine.com/products/heaven/
The OCCT GPU test will also run it full bore
http://www.ocbase.com/

I also turned up my BF3 setting for field of view. That makes it seem like you are running super fast, but you can see more to the sides.
!