Sign in with
Your question

Help me pick a gpu for 3 42/46" setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2012 7:38:36 PM

Been trolling for a while and just can not decide on something so I decided to ask the masses on this forum.

Building a computer from scratch. All I have is a case (which will be upgraded at some other time). I'll be using it for gaming (racing, sim, mmo, fps) and home pictures/videos. I don't need top of the line but would like to be "futureproof".

Budget / Time frame - Kind of up in the air. If cheaper build, I'll build sooner than later. Trying to keep it under $1000 but I will take time to wait for sales/price drops. I will start out on a single monitor (not included in budget) and will save up for a 3 42 or 46" tv + 1 monitor setup using eyefinity.

Preferred web site - Newegg/NCIX/Best deal but reputable dealers.

Preferred card - AMD (heard eyefinity has greater support and easier to use)

Possible Crossfire / Will mild OC as needed

These are the parts I have been planning on.
CPU - i5 2500k (depending on price will wait for IB i5-3750K) ~$200

Mobo - MSI Z68 or Z77 chipset. ~$150

PSU - Corsair 750W Modular (may crossfire later, so like to have needed power now than to upgrade again) = $150

RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) = $50

Boot Drive - Crucial M4 128GB = $150

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB = $80

GPU - I've been going back and forth. I was once content on a 6850 and decided on the MSI 6870 Hawk. But then read that a 2GB card would be better for multi-screen res. So I looked into 7850. Specifically the XFX 7850. Ideally, I'd like to spend less or around 250 for the first card and the same amount or less when I get the 3 42/46".
Or can I get away with a lesser card than either of these 2?

Please let me know your thoughts on this set up and if you have any suggestions on any other parts above that I may want to consider.

More about : pick gpu setup

a c 291 U Graphics card
April 10, 2012 7:41:30 PM

HD 7850 is a solid decision. I wouldn't go 3 monitor surround gaming with anything less than crossfire HD 7850 to be honest :) 
m
l
!