Sign in with
Your question

Dud Cable, or PSU?

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 10, 2012 8:02:52 PM

hey all, i have a "hiper 630w PSU", with a decend spec, but its some no namer, that i cant find anymore... anyhoo, its been good, i needed it for my new (back when i got it - ages ago) Asus en9800GTX+ graphics card...

now, i recently moved my rig into a newer case for cooling reasons (and the fact that beige is no longer "in" according to my g/f lol) and, before, everything worked a treat, so well, that i forgot entirely what the inside of my pc looked like.

anyway, after the transplant, i came to reinstall my GPU, and it has 2x6 pin power connectors...
, and my PSU has 1x6 pin and 1x8 pin, but, attached to the 8 pin was a 6 pin converter.

however, i dont remember if it came with that attached, or if i attached it and connected it to my GPU...

but, whenever i connect the 8 to 6 pin wire to my GPU, my rig goes into protect mode, and wont power on.
but if i only plug in the 6 pin cable into either connected, my pc boots fine, and runs normally... ish (i'll explain later).

does my GPU need both power connectors? or is that for some SLI thing, i really dont remember if it ever had 2 power connectors... and i cant find an online manual.

is it possibly the adapter thats buggered, or, the PSU?

and the running normally ish thing - my pc, randomly starts to stutter, if i wizz the mouse around, even just on the desktop, it will pause, every 2-3 seconds, and carry on as normal, and pause again... and eventually it will stop...
it does it seemingly regardless of what i do... just wizz the mouse about, or play skyrim....?

anyhoo, thanks for the help in advance!

More about : dud cable psu

April 10, 2012 8:28:55 PM

There is a good chance that the 8 pin cable you plugged the adapter into is a CPU power cable. If that is the case, you have shorted 12 volts directly to ground and the PSU detected that and electronically shut down.

You can tell by looking at the 8 pin connector. Check the side of the connector by the catch. If you have yellow wires going to the "catch" side, it is a CPU power cable. If black wires, it is a PCIe power cable. Then, likewise, the adapter cable should have black wires on the catch side.

The 9800GTX+ theoretically needs needs two six pin PCI connectors, but using only one should work.
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
April 10, 2012 8:29:47 PM

your starving you gpu using only one of the two connectors; it needs them both.

if your system goes flonky using both . .time to upgrade your psu to a quality name brand.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Î Nvidia
April 10, 2012 8:33:47 PM

jsc said:

You can tell by looking at the 8 pin connector. Check the side of the connector by the catch. If you have yellow wires going to the "catch" side, it is a CPU power cable. If black wires, it is a PCIe power cable. Then, likewise, the adapter cable should have black wires on the catch side.

i'll say thanks. i just looked in my case; funny the things you never notice.
April 11, 2012 3:20:36 PM

thanks! I know the adapter is a pci one Cos its written on it. lol but I'll check the psu 8 pin.

I don't have any other pci cables, 4,6 or 8 pin spare in my rig.
will a molex to 6 pin work OK? (new shape thin molex)
April 11, 2012 3:21:45 PM

thanks! I know the adapter is a pci one Cos its written on it. lol but I'll check the psu 8 pin.

I don't have any other pci cables, 4,6 or 8 pin spare in my rig.
will a molex to 6 pin work OK? (new shape thin molex)
a b Î Nvidia
April 11, 2012 3:57:24 PM

Yes it should work. Also check what you plugged into CPU power, because you might be feeding your CPU with less power than it needs (it may damage it).
April 11, 2012 5:42:41 PM

I'm pretty sure my mobo has a 4 pin CPU power but ill check I didn't plug in a 4 pin pci.
thanks!
a b Î Nvidia
April 11, 2012 6:20:11 PM

Usually, power supplies have 8 pins that look similar to PCIe ones and it can be split into 2 four pins. However, the PCIe cable that has 8 pins can be split into 6 + 2.
April 13, 2012 8:29:51 AM

solved! my 8 pin pacier power cable had been stuck behind the psu! lol

both are plugged in now n I even overclocked my q6600 to 3ghz!

I can now play skyrim perfectly on ultra high settings at 1080p at 40~50fps.

instead of medium at 1600xx900 at 20fps.

my 9800gtx+ still has some life yet!

thanks all!
a b Î Nvidia
April 13, 2012 9:06:40 AM

No problem, glad to help :) 
!