I Can't See My Scrollbar

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

My weak eyes are giving me a fit. I have tried to darken and enlarge
things on my screen (icons, texts, etc) and this has helped some. But
my scrollbars on the right side of all windows is so light I can't see
the scrollbar hardly at all. If I left-click on the little scrolling
'button', it does darken some.

Where do I go to set the scrollbar darker? I sure can't find it.

Thanks

Configuring Windows for people who have impaired vision
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/access_vision_cc.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"geezer" wrote:

| My weak eyes are giving me a fit. I have tried to darken and enlarge
| things on my screen (icons, texts, etc) and this has helped some. But
| my scrollbars on the right side of all windows is so light I can't see
| the scrollbar hardly at all. If I left-click on the little scrolling
| 'button', it does darken some.
|
| Where do I go to set the scrollbar darker? I sure can't find it.
|
| Thanks

zulu

I have tha same problem :-(((
We atre being discriminated against...
I wish Microsoft would employ some partially sighted programmers.

"zulu" wrote:

| I have tha same problem :-(((
| We atre being discriminated against...
| I wish Microsoft would employ some partially sighted programmers.
|

| "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
| > My weak eyes are giving me a fit. I have tried to darken and enlarge
| > things on my screen (icons, texts, etc) and this has helped some. But
| > my scrollbars on the right side of all windows is so light I can't see
| > the scrollbar hardly at all. If I left-click on the little scrolling
| > 'button', it does darken some.
| >
| > Where do I go to set the scrollbar darker? I sure can't find it.
| >
| > Thanks

zulu

Cari, they don't have the tiniest concept of *Impaired vision*means.
If they DID, then that page would be in BOLD for a start..

One of the problems with macular degeneration is that *thin* fonts
disappear...

Now, back to the question:
How do we make the scrollbar DARKER please?
it can't be THAT hard, surely...

> Configuring Windows for people who have impaired vision
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/access_vision_cc.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

> "geezer" wrote:
>
> | My weak eyes are giving me a fit. I have tried to darken and enlarge
> | things on my screen (icons, texts, etc) and this has helped some. But
> | my scrollbars on the right side of all windows is so light I can't see
> | the scrollbar hardly at all. If I left-click on the little scrolling
> | 'button', it does darken some.
> |
> | Where do I go to set the scrollbar darker? I sure can't find it.
> |
> | Thanks

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:22:15 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Cari, they don't have the tiniest concept of *Impaired vision*means.
>If they DID, then that page would be in BOLD for a start..
>
>One of the problems with macular degeneration is that *thin* fonts
>disappear...
>
>Now, back to the question:
>How do we make the scrollbar DARKER please?
>it can't be THAT hard, surely...
>
> .

Exactly what I was thinking - but how? MS seems to want to allow you
to enlarge and darken and change colors etc for a multitude of other
things!

Thanks for your interest

zulu

Oh, I've posted about this sort of problem before...
MS seem FAR more interested in *pretty* rather than *functional* :-(((

It's all very well for Bill Gates to swan about the world giving away the
millions he's made by overcharging for this stuff, however much it is to be
appaulded, he needsto touch base with *this* world again for a while...

Time to see what *Linux* has to offfer maybe
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:22:15 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Cari, they don't have the tiniest concept of *Impaired vision*means.
>>If they DID, then that page would be in BOLD for a start..
>>
>>One of the problems with macular degeneration is that *thin* fonts
>>disappear...
>>
>>Now, back to the question:
>>How do we make the scrollbar DARKER please?
>>it can't be THAT hard, surely...
>>
>> .
>
> Exactly what I was thinking - but how? MS seems to want to allow you
> to enlarge and darken and change colors etc for a multitude of other
> things!
>
> Thanks for your interest

parker

Have you tried a different color scheme? (right click on screen then chose
Properties then Appearance) Here you can also change to large fonts and under
the Advanced button you can change colors ect. Also what is your screen
resolution set to? I had to set mine at 800X600 so I could see what I was
doing. You can do this under the Setting tab.

Hope this helps

Parker

"zulu" wrote:

> Oh, I've posted about this sort of problem before...
> MS seem FAR more interested in *pretty* rather than *functional* :-(((
>
> It's all very well for Bill Gates to swan about the world giving away the
> millions he's made by overcharging for this stuff, however much it is to be
> appaulded, he needsto touch base with *this* world again for a while...
>

> Time to see what *Linux* has to offfer maybe
> "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:22:15 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Cari, they don't have the tiniest concept of *Impaired vision*means.
> >>If they DID, then that page would be in BOLD for a start..
> >>
> >>One of the problems with macular degeneration is that *thin* fonts
> >>disappear...
> >>
> >>Now, back to the question:
> >>How do we make the scrollbar DARKER please?
> >>it can't be THAT hard, surely...
> >>
> >> .
> >
> > Exactly what I was thinking - but how? MS seems to want to allow you
> > to enlarge and darken and change colors etc for a multitude of other
> > things!
> >
> > Thanks for your interest

zulu

Firstly, I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to change the font _HER_ to 14
point *Discovery* *Bold*
I give up... :-((((((
I can read the message in the preview and main panes, but when I *Reply*
it's all thin and virtually invisible. I am sitting here with a 3x
magnifying glass trying to check this as I type...
WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO <DELETED> HARD????
(How can I fix this somebody, please!)

Anyway...<g>
Yep, done all that a thousand times...good job I make a restore point before
I start trying to *improve* things!
The Theme I am using is *WindowsXP Modified* and the *Classic* Start Menu
All fonts are 14 bold *Discovery* as far as I can recall

"Parker" <Parker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried a different color scheme? (right click on screen then chose
> Properties then Appearance) Here you can also change to large fonts and
> under
> the Advanced button you can change colors ect.

Not the scrollbart hough! (in my current Theme...) :-(((

Also what is your screen
> resolution set to?

see signature...

I had to set mine at 800X600 so I could see what I was
> doing. You can do this under the Setting tab.

You can also change the DPI there (Settings > Advanced)
Try 125% (if you havent already)
150% is too high and mucks up too many programs, unfortunately.
Even now, I cant use some webpages because they havev't beeen written to
account for this possinilit, *Tesco.co.uk* for one example. I have to use
their (awful) *Tesco Accesss* siter to order my groceries online because the
tab I need to click on on the main site just isnt ther! It's hidden under
anther part. Grrrrrr.

> Hope this helps

It's nice not to feel so alone, I assure you!
Now I need to go and rest my eyes for an hour!
Apologies for any unnoticed errores....

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768

> "zulu" wrote:
>
>> Oh, I've posted about this sort of problem before...
>> MS seem FAR more interested in *pretty* rather than *functional* :-(((
>>
>> It's all very well for Bill Gates to swan about the world giving away the
>> millions he's made by overcharging for this stuff, however much it is to
>> be
>> appaulded, he needsto touch base with *this* world again for a while...
>>

>> Time to see what *Linux* has to offfer maybe
>> "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message

>> > Exactly what I was thinking - but how? MS seems to want to allow you
>> > to enlarge and darken and change colors etc for a multitude of other
>> > things!
>> >
>> > Thanks for your interest

zulu

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Firstly, I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to change the font _HER_ to
> 14 point *Discovery* *Bold*
> I give up... :-((((((

*HER* should have read *HERE*, of course..
Interestingly, the font the OP was using appears to have been the CAUSE of
the lack of legibility as I could read it in my previous post!
(If that makes sense!)

explain please!

--
¦ zulu ¦

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
| > I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to change the font _HERE_ to
| > 14 point *Discovery* *Bold* I give up... :-((((((
|
| Interestingly, the font the OP was using appears to have been the
| CAUSE of the lack of legibility as I could read it in my previous post!
| (If that makes sense!)
|
| explain please!

zulu,

Outlook Express
Tools
/Read\
[Y] Read all messages in plain text

Also, at the bottom of /Read\,
[Fonts...] and [International Settings...]

zulu

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> | > I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to change the font _HERE_ to
> | > 14 point *Discovery* *Bold* I give up... :-((((((
> |
> | Interestingly, the font the OP was using appears to have been the
> | CAUSE of the lack of legibility as I could read it in my previous post!
> | (If that makes sense!)
> |
> | explain please!
>
> zulu,
>
> Outlook Express
> Tools
> /Read\
> [Y] Read all messages in plain text

It's been set at _that_ since forever!
It must be another MS *feature* that almost works in that case... :-(

> Also, at the bottom of /Read\,
> [Fonts...] and [International Settings...]

Set at *Discovery* Lucida Console* and *Western European*
Is this incorrect?

The term *Fixed width font* means nowt to me, BTW o_)
Well, i understand f*ixed width*, of course but why do we NEED it?
I wouldn't change that one to *Discovery* as I assumed *Discovery* wasn't
FW.

zulu

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> | > I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to change the font _HERE_ to
> | > 14 point *Discovery* *Bold* I give up... :-((((((
> |
> | Interestingly, the font the OP was using appears to have been the
> | CAUSE of the lack of legibility as I could read it in my previous post!
> | (If that makes sense!)
> |
> | explain please!
>
> zulu,
>
> Outlook Express
> Tools
> /Read\
> [Y] Read all messages in plain text
>
> Also, at the bottom of /Read\,
> [Fonts...] and [International Settings...]

I just had the same thing in another post...

It seems that *Lucida Console* _is_ the problem, (I just compared the post
with that font in word....)
What can I cahnge it to?
TIA

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:

| "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| > |
| > | Interestingly, the font the OP was using appears to have been the
| > | CAUSE of the lack of legibility as I could read it in my previous post!
| > | (If that makes sense!)
| > |
| > | explain please!
| >
| > zulu,
| >
| > Outlook Express
| > Tools
| > /Read\
| > [Y] Read all messages in plain text
|
| It's been set at _that_ since forever!
| It must be another MS *feature* that almost works in that case... :-(
|

| > Also, at the bottom of /Read\,
| > [Fonts...] and [International Settings...]
|
| Set at *Discovery* Lucida Console* and *Western European*
| Is this incorrect?
|
| The term *Fixed width font* means nowt to me, BTW o_)
| Well, i understand f*ixed width*, of course but why do we NEED it?
| I wouldn't change that one to *Discovery* as I assumed *Discovery* wasn't
| FW.

Outlook Express
Tools
/Read\
[Fonts...]

FOR EACH item IN "Font settings" area
// (Arabic, Baltic, ... , Vietnamese, Western European)
{
set "Proportional font" to "Lucida Console" or "Discovery"
set "Fixed-width font" to "Lucida Console"
Set "Font size" to "Largest"
Set "Encoding" to "Western European (Windows)"
}

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:31:33 +1000, "a nonymous"

>FOR EACH item IN "Font settings" area
>// (Arabic, Baltic, ... , Vietnamese, Western European)
>{
> set "Proportional font" to "Lucida Console" or "Discovery"
> set "Fixed-width font" to "Lucida Console"
> Set "Font size" to "Largest"
> Set "Encoding" to "Western European (Windows)"
>}

And so - how does all of this help me to be able to see the scroll bar
and its slide in, for example, Windows Express? I can hardly see the
darned thing!

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> |
> | "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> | > |
> post!
> | > |

> | > zulu,
> | >
> | > Outlook Express
> | > Tools
> | > /Read\
> | > [Y] Read all messages in plain text
> |
> | It's been set at _that_ since forever!
> | It must be another MS *feature* that almost works in that case... :-(
> |

> | > Also, at the bottom of /Read\,
> | > [Fonts...] and [International Settings...]
> |
> | Set at *Discovery* Lucida Console* and *Western European*
> | Is this incorrect?
> |
> | The term *Fixed width font* means nowt to me, BTW o_)
> | Well, i understand f*ixed width*, of course but why do we NEED it?
> | I wouldn't change that one to *Discovery* as I assumed *Discovery*
> wasn't
> | FW.
>

> Outlook Express
> Tools
> /Read\
> [Fonts...]
>
> FOR EACH item IN "Font settings" area
> // (Arabic, Baltic, ... , Vietnamese, Western European)
> {
> set "Proportional font" to "Lucida Console" or "Discovery"
> set "Fixed-width font" to "Lucida Console"
> Set "Font size" to "Largest"
> Set "Encoding" to "Western European (Windows)"
> }

>Exactly as it is now ("Lucida Console"and "Discovery") _exept that_ I only
>did it for Western European.
Off to set the rest now........
TYVM

zulu

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:31:33 +1000, "a nonymous"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>FOR EACH item IN "Font settings" area
>>// (Arabic, Baltic, ... , Vietnamese, Western European)
>>{
>> set "Proportional font" to "Lucida Console" or "Discovery"
>> set "Fixed-width font" to "Lucida Console"
>> Set "Font size" to "Largest"
>> Set "Encoding" to "Western European (Windows)"
>>}
>>

> And so - how does all of this help me to be able to see the scroll bar
> and its slide in, for example, Windows Express? I can hardly see the
> darned thing!

Me2
Buy a 3x magnifying glass...you _know_ it makes sense <VBG>
i'm quite serious, it seems to be the only way!
(Yes, I know about *Magnifier* - yuk.)

I am now realising how UTTERLY CLUELESS the average software
designer/webmaster/what have you IS as regards we poor souls who are losing
their eysight :-((
Admittedly, when _I_ had good eyesight (< 2 years ago),_I_ never gave it a
thought either :-o)
They have NO IDEA what it's like, have they?

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote:
| "a nonymous"wrote:
| >FOR EACH item IN "Font settings" area
| >}
| And so - how does all of this help me to be able to see the scroll bar
| and its slide in, for example, Windows Express? I can hardly see the
| darned thing!

My reply answered Zulu's question.

If you switch to "Windows Classic" view, you can change the width and
colour of your scroll bar:

Control Panel
Display
Appearance
Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->
Item: Scrollbar Size: <-larger size->

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:27:04 +1000, "a nonymous"

> If you switch to "Windows Classic" view, you can change the width and
>colour of your scroll bar:
>
>Control Panel
> Display
> Appearance
> Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->
> Item: Scrollbar Size: <-larger size->

Okay - maybe I am dumb. People have said so. :<)

Anyway- I AM using Classic mode - where is the place in which I can
set the scroll bar color/visibility?

Under '3D objects' I only get to choose the color. I sure do not see
anything referring to darker color or larger size. What am I missing?

Thanks

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote:
| On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:27:04 +1000, "a nonymous" wrote:
| > If you switch to "Windows Classic" view, you can change the width and
| >colour of your scroll bar:
| >
| >Control Panel
| > Display
| > Appearance
| > Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->
| > Item: Scrollbar Size: <-larger size->
|
| Okay - maybe I am dumb. People have said so. :<)
|
| Anyway- I AM using Classic mode - where is the place in which I can
| set the scroll bar color/visibility?
|
| Under '3D objects' I only get to choose the color. I sure do not see
| anything referring to darker color or larger size. What am I missing?

For "Item: 3D objects",
Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
Choose a darker colour

For "Item: Scrollbar",
click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
Choose a larger size

zulu

Good advice:::::::
Create a restore point BEFORE you have to start all over yet again...
How many times have I been down this roure?
Don't ask!

--

> "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote:
> | On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:27:04 +1000, "a nonymous" wrote:
> | > If you switch to "Windows Classic" view, you can change the width and
> | >colour of your scroll bar:
> | >
> | >Control Panel
> | > Display
> | > Appearance
> | > Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->
> | > Item: Scrollbar Size: <-larger size->
> |
> | Okay - maybe I am dumb. People have said so. :<)
> |
> | Anyway- I AM using Classic mode - where is the place in which I can
> | set the scroll bar color/visibility?
> |
> | Under '3D objects' I only get to choose the color. I sure do not see
> | anything referring to darker color or larger size. What am I missing?
>

> For "Item: 3D objects",
> Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
> Choose a darker colour
>
> For "Item: Scrollbar",
> click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
> Choose a larger size

geezer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:55:04 +1000, "a nonymous"

> For "Item: 3D objects",
>Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
> Choose a darker colour

This made the background of selected windows the darker color. I see
no effect on the scrollbar itself.

> For "Item: Scrollbar",
>click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
> Choose a larger size

The larger size worked, but nothing else. I did notice that under
Control Panel>Display>Appearance>Advanced, that under scrollbar there
are two color boxes - color 1 and color 2. On my machine (WXP PRO),
neither shows any color, both are gray'ed out, and both do nothing.
Does this mean anything to you?

Why is this so hard anyway? Seems like such a simple thing to provide
control over. What was Gil B thinking?

Thanks

zulu

To reply to my own post (!)
I just tried yet again...
BIG MISTAKE - IF IT WORKS, DON'T FIX IT
(Even if it IS crippled)

I changed from XP(Modified) to Classic

Control Panel
Display
Appearance
Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->

I chose a darkish blue...
Total disaster!
I couldn't read a <deleted> thing, even with the aid of my trusty 3x
magnifying glass.
(Bear in mind tht the pane is too small as well...)
At that point I panicked and restored!
Like I said...
Create a restore point BEFORE .......

AArrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

> Good advice:::::::
> Create a restore point BEFORE you have to start all over yet again...
> How many times have I been down this roure?
> Don't ask!
>
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
>

> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> | Okay - maybe I am dumb. People have said so. :<)
>> |
>> | Anyway- I AM using Classic mode - where is the place in which I can
>> | set the scroll bar color/visibility?
>> |
>> | Under '3D objects' I only get to choose the color. I sure do not see
>> | anything referring to darker color or larger size. What am I missing?
>>

>> For "Item: 3D objects",
>> Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
>> Choose a darker colour
>>
>> For "Item: Scrollbar",
>> click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
>> Choose a larger size

zulu

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:55:04 +1000, "a nonymous"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> For "Item: 3D objects",
>>Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
>> Choose a darker colour
>
> This made the background of selected windows the darker color. I see
> no effect on the scrollbar itself.
>

>> For "Item: Scrollbar",
>>click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
>> Choose a larger size
>>

> The larger size worked, but nothing else. I did notice that under
> Control Panel>Display>Appearance>Advanced, that under scrollbar there
> are two color boxes - color 1 and color 2. On my machine (WXP PRO),
> neither shows any color, both are gray'ed out, and both do nothing.
> Does this mean anything to you?
>
> Why is this so hard anyway? Seems like such a simple thing to provide
> control over. What was Gil B thinking?

Bloody stupid, lksn't it!
See my other post!

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote:
| "a nonymous" wrote:
| > For "Item: 3D objects",
| >Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
| > Choose a darker colour
| This made the background of selected windows the darker color.
| I see no effect on the scrollbar itself.

What do you mean by "the background of selected windows"?
When you open that dialog box, it shows "Item: Desktop".

I told you to select "Item: 3D objects",

Look at the preview area.
In the sample "Message Box", click on the "[ OK ]" button.
This will give you "Item: 3D objects",
Change "Color 1:".
In the sample "Active Window", observe the colour of the
"up/down-arrow" buttons in the vertical scrollbar

| > For "Item: Scrollbar",
| >click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
| > Choose a larger size
| The larger size worked, but nothing else. I did notice that under
| Control Panel>Display>Appearance>Advanced, that under scrollbar there
| are two color boxes - color 1 and color 2. On my machine (WXP PRO),
| neither shows any color, both are gray'ed out, and both do nothing.
| Does this mean anything to you?

It means that you can independently adjust only the size of Scrollbars.
The colour for Scrollbars is included in "Item: 3D objects",

TRENDING THREADS