I Can't See My Scrollbar

January 28, 2005 2:03:41 PM

My weak eyes are giving me a fit. I have tried to darken and enlarge
things on my screen (icons, texts, etc) and this has helped some. But
my scrollbars on the right side of all windows is so light I can't see
the scrollbar hardly at all. If I left-click on the little scrolling
'button', it does darken some.

Where do I go to set the scrollbar darker? I sure can't find it.

Thanks

More about : scrollbar

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:03:42 PM

Configuring Windows for people who have impaired vision

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"geezer" wrote:

| My weak eyes are giving me a fit. I have tried to darken and enlarge
| things on my screen (icons, texts, etc) and this has helped some. But
| my scrollbars on the right side of all windows is so light I can't see
| the scrollbar hardly at all. If I left-click on the little scrolling
| 'button', it does darken some.
|
| Where do I go to set the scrollbar darker? I sure can't find it.
|
| Thanks
January 28, 2005 3:36:54 PM

I have tha same problem :-(((
We atre being discriminated against...
I wish Microsoft would employ some partially sighted programmers.

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
> My weak eyes are giving me a fit. I have tried to darken and enlarge
> things on my screen (icons, texts, etc) and this has helped some. But
> my scrollbars on the right side of all windows is so light I can't see
> the scrollbar hardly at all. If I left-click on the little scrolling
> 'button', it does darken some.
>
> Where do I go to set the scrollbar darker? I sure can't find it.
>
> Thanks
January 28, 2005 3:36:55 PM

"zulu" wrote:

| I have tha same problem :-(((
| We atre being discriminated against...
| I wish Microsoft would employ some partially sighted programmers.
|

| "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
| > My weak eyes are giving me a fit. I have tried to darken and enlarge
| > things on my screen (icons, texts, etc) and this has helped some. But
| > my scrollbars on the right side of all windows is so light I can't see
| > the scrollbar hardly at all. If I left-click on the little scrolling
| > 'button', it does darken some.
| >
| > Where do I go to set the scrollbar darker? I sure can't find it.
| >
| > Thanks
January 28, 2005 5:22:15 PM

Cari, they don't have the tiniest concept of *Impaired vision*means.
If they DID, then that page would be in BOLD for a start..

One of the problems with macular degeneration is that *thin* fonts
disappear...

Now, back to the question:
How do we make the scrollbar DARKER please?
it can't be THAT hard, surely...

> Configuring Windows for people who have impaired vision
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/window...
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
>
> Be Smart! Protect Your PC!
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...

> "geezer" wrote:
>
> | My weak eyes are giving me a fit. I have tried to darken and enlarge
> | things on my screen (icons, texts, etc) and this has helped some. But
> | my scrollbars on the right side of all windows is so light I can't see
> | the scrollbar hardly at all. If I left-click on the little scrolling
> | 'button', it does darken some.
> |
> | Where do I go to set the scrollbar darker? I sure can't find it.
> |
> | Thanks
January 28, 2005 6:07:54 PM

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:22:15 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Cari, they don't have the tiniest concept of *Impaired vision*means.
>If they DID, then that page would be in BOLD for a start..
>
>One of the problems with macular degeneration is that *thin* fonts
>disappear...
>
>Now, back to the question:
>How do we make the scrollbar DARKER please?
>it can't be THAT hard, surely...
>
> .

Exactly what I was thinking - but how? MS seems to want to allow you
to enlarge and darken and change colors etc for a multitude of other
things!

Thanks for your interest
January 28, 2005 6:34:28 PM

Oh, I've posted about this sort of problem before...
MS seem FAR more interested in *pretty* rather than *functional* :-(((

It's all very well for Bill Gates to swan about the world giving away the
millions he's made by overcharging for this stuff, however much it is to be
appaulded, he needsto touch base with *this* world again for a while...

Time to see what *Linux* has to offfer maybe
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:22:15 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Cari, they don't have the tiniest concept of *Impaired vision*means.
>>If they DID, then that page would be in BOLD for a start..
>>
>>One of the problems with macular degeneration is that *thin* fonts
>>disappear...
>>
>>Now, back to the question:
>>How do we make the scrollbar DARKER please?
>>it can't be THAT hard, surely...
>>
>> .
>
> Exactly what I was thinking - but how? MS seems to want to allow you
> to enlarge and darken and change colors etc for a multitude of other
> things!
>
> Thanks for your interest
January 29, 2005 1:51:01 AM

Have you tried a different color scheme? (right click on screen then chose
Properties then Appearance) Here you can also change to large fonts and under
the Advanced button you can change colors ect. Also what is your screen
resolution set to? I had to set mine at 800X600 so I could see what I was
doing. You can do this under the Setting tab.

Hope this helps

Parker

"zulu" wrote:

> Oh, I've posted about this sort of problem before...
> MS seem FAR more interested in *pretty* rather than *functional* :-(((
>
> It's all very well for Bill Gates to swan about the world giving away the
> millions he's made by overcharging for this stuff, however much it is to be
> appaulded, he needsto touch base with *this* world again for a while...
>

> Time to see what *Linux* has to offfer maybe
> "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 14:22:15 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Cari, they don't have the tiniest concept of *Impaired vision*means.
> >>If they DID, then that page would be in BOLD for a start..
> >>
> >>One of the problems with macular degeneration is that *thin* fonts
> >>disappear...
> >>
> >>Now, back to the question:
> >>How do we make the scrollbar DARKER please?
> >>it can't be THAT hard, surely...
> >>
> >> .
> >
> > Exactly what I was thinking - but how? MS seems to want to allow you
> > to enlarge and darken and change colors etc for a multitude of other
> > things!
> >
> > Thanks for your interest

January 29, 2005 5:17:12 PM

Firstly, I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to change the font _HER_ to 14
point *Discovery* *Bold*
I give up... :-((((((
I can read the message in the preview and main panes, but when I *Reply*
it's all thin and virtually invisible. I am sitting here with a 3x
magnifying glass trying to check this as I type...
WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO <DELETED> HARD????
(How can I fix this somebody, please!)

Anyway...<g>
Yep, done all that a thousand times...good job I make a restore point before
I start trying to *improve* things!
The Theme I am using is *WindowsXP Modified* and the *Classic* Start Menu
All fonts are 14 bold *Discovery* as far as I can recall

"Parker" <Parker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Have you tried a different color scheme? (right click on screen then chose
> Properties then Appearance) Here you can also change to large fonts and
> under
> the Advanced button you can change colors ect.

Not the scrollbart hough! (in my current Theme...) :-(((

Also what is your screen
> resolution set to?

see signature...

I had to set mine at 800X600 so I could see what I was
> doing. You can do this under the Setting tab.

You can also change the DPI there (Settings > Advanced)
Try 125% (if you havent already)
150% is too high and mucks up too many programs, unfortunately.
Even now, I cant use some webpages because they havev't beeen written to
account for this possinilit, *Tesco.co.uk* for one example. I have to use
their (awful) *Tesco Accesss* siter to order my groceries online because the
tab I need to click on on the main site just isnt ther! It's hidden under
anther part. Grrrrrr.

> Hope this helps

It's nice not to feel so alone, I assure you!
Now I need to go and rest my eyes for an hour!
Apologies for any unnoticed errores....

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768

> "zulu" wrote:
>
>> Oh, I've posted about this sort of problem before...
>> MS seem FAR more interested in *pretty* rather than *functional* :-(((
>>
>> It's all very well for Bill Gates to swan about the world giving away the
>> millions he's made by overcharging for this stuff, however much it is to
>> be
>> appaulded, he needsto touch base with *this* world again for a while...
>>

>> Time to see what *Linux* has to offfer maybe
>> "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message

>> > Exactly what I was thinking - but how? MS seems to want to allow you
>> > to enlarge and darken and change colors etc for a multitude of other
>> > things!
>> >
>> > Thanks for your interest

January 29, 2005 7:44:13 PM

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Firstly, I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to change the font _HER_ to
> 14 point *Discovery* *Bold*
> I give up... :-((((((

*HER* should have read *HERE*, of course..
Interestingly, the font the OP was using appears to have been the CAUSE of
the lack of legibility as I could read it in my previous post!
(If that makes sense!)

explain please!

--
¦ zulu ¦
Anonymous

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
| > I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to change the font _HERE_ to
| > 14 point *Discovery* *Bold* I give up... :-((((((
|
| Interestingly, the font the OP was using appears to have been the
| CAUSE of the lack of legibility as I could read it in my previous post!
| (If that makes sense!)
|
| explain please!

zulu,

Outlook Express
Tools
/Read\
[Y] Read all messages in plain text

Also, at the bottom of /Read\,
[Fonts...] and [International Settings...]
January 30, 2005 2:00:44 PM

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> | > I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to change the font _HERE_ to
> | > 14 point *Discovery* *Bold* I give up... :-((((((
> |
> | Interestingly, the font the OP was using appears to have been the
> | CAUSE of the lack of legibility as I could read it in my previous post!
> | (If that makes sense!)
> |
> | explain please!
>
> zulu,
>
> Outlook Express
> Tools
> /Read\
> [Y] Read all messages in plain text

It's been set at _that_ since forever!
It must be another MS *feature* that almost works in that case... :-(

> Also, at the bottom of /Read\,
> [Fonts...] and [International Settings...]

Set at *Discovery* Lucida Console* and *Western European*
Is this incorrect?

The term *Fixed width font* means nowt to me, BTW o_)
Well, i understand f*ixed width*, of course but why do we NEED it?
I wouldn't change that one to *Discovery* as I assumed *Discovery* wasn't
FW.
January 30, 2005 2:00:44 PM

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> | > I have just spent 20 minutes TRYING to change the font _HERE_ to
> | > 14 point *Discovery* *Bold* I give up... :-((((((
> |
> | Interestingly, the font the OP was using appears to have been the
> | CAUSE of the lack of legibility as I could read it in my previous post!
> | (If that makes sense!)
> |
> | explain please!
>
> zulu,
>
> Outlook Express
> Tools
> /Read\
> [Y] Read all messages in plain text
>
> Also, at the bottom of /Read\,
> [Fonts...] and [International Settings...]

I just had the same thing in another post...

It seems that *Lucida Console* _is_ the problem, (I just compared the post
with that font in word....)
What can I cahnge it to?
TIA
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:31:33 AM

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:

| "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| > |
| > | Interestingly, the font the OP was using appears to have been the
| > | CAUSE of the lack of legibility as I could read it in my previous post!
| > | (If that makes sense!)
| > |
| > | explain please!
| >
| > zulu,
| >
| > Outlook Express
| > Tools
| > /Read\
| > [Y] Read all messages in plain text
|
| It's been set at _that_ since forever!
| It must be another MS *feature* that almost works in that case... :-(
|

| > Also, at the bottom of /Read\,
| > [Fonts...] and [International Settings...]
|
| Set at *Discovery* Lucida Console* and *Western European*
| Is this incorrect?
|
| The term *Fixed width font* means nowt to me, BTW o_)
| Well, i understand f*ixed width*, of course but why do we NEED it?
| I wouldn't change that one to *Discovery* as I assumed *Discovery* wasn't
| FW.

Outlook Express
Tools
/Read\
[Fonts...]

FOR EACH item IN "Font settings" area
// (Arabic, Baltic, ... , Vietnamese, Western European)
{
set "Proportional font" to "Lucida Console" or "Discovery"
set "Fixed-width font" to "Lucida Console"
Set "Font size" to "Largest"
Set "Encoding" to "Western European (Windows)"
}
January 31, 2005 10:31:34 AM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:31:33 +1000, "a nonymous"

>FOR EACH item IN "Font settings" area
>// (Arabic, Baltic, ... , Vietnamese, Western European)
>{
> set "Proportional font" to "Lucida Console" or "Discovery"
> set "Fixed-width font" to "Lucida Console"
> Set "Font size" to "Largest"
> Set "Encoding" to "Western European (Windows)"
>}

And so - how does all of this help me to be able to see the scroll bar
and its slide in, for example, Windows Express? I can hardly see the
darned thing!

Thanks
January 31, 2005 10:31:34 AM

> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> |
> | "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> | > |
> post!
> | > |

> | > zulu,
> | >
> | > Outlook Express
> | > Tools
> | > /Read\
> | > [Y] Read all messages in plain text
> |
> | It's been set at _that_ since forever!
> | It must be another MS *feature* that almost works in that case... :-(
> |

> | > Also, at the bottom of /Read\,
> | > [Fonts...] and [International Settings...]
> |
> | Set at *Discovery* Lucida Console* and *Western European*
> | Is this incorrect?
> |
> | The term *Fixed width font* means nowt to me, BTW o_)
> | Well, i understand f*ixed width*, of course but why do we NEED it?
> | I wouldn't change that one to *Discovery* as I assumed *Discovery*
> wasn't
> | FW.
>

> Outlook Express
> Tools
> /Read\
> [Fonts...]
>
> FOR EACH item IN "Font settings" area
> // (Arabic, Baltic, ... , Vietnamese, Western European)
> {
> set "Proportional font" to "Lucida Console" or "Discovery"
> set "Fixed-width font" to "Lucida Console"
> Set "Font size" to "Largest"
> Set "Encoding" to "Western European (Windows)"
> }

>Exactly as it is now ("Lucida Console"and "Discovery") _exept that_ I only
>did it for Western European.
Off to set the rest now........
TYVM
January 31, 2005 10:31:35 AM

> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 07:31:33 +1000, "a nonymous"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>FOR EACH item IN "Font settings" area
>>// (Arabic, Baltic, ... , Vietnamese, Western European)
>>{
>> set "Proportional font" to "Lucida Console" or "Discovery"
>> set "Fixed-width font" to "Lucida Console"
>> Set "Font size" to "Largest"
>> Set "Encoding" to "Western European (Windows)"
>>}
>>

> And so - how does all of this help me to be able to see the scroll bar
> and its slide in, for example, Windows Express? I can hardly see the
> darned thing!

Me2
Buy a 3x magnifying glass...you _know_ it makes sense <VBG>
i'm quite serious, it seems to be the only way!
(Yes, I know about *Magnifier* - yuk.)

I am now realising how UTTERLY CLUELESS the average software
designer/webmaster/what have you IS as regards we poor souls who are losing
their eysight :-((
Admittedly, when _I_ had good eyesight (< 2 years ago),_I_ never gave it a
thought either :-o)
They have NO IDEA what it's like, have they?
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:27:04 PM

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote:
| "a nonymous"wrote:
| >FOR EACH item IN "Font settings" area
| >}
| And so - how does all of this help me to be able to see the scroll bar
| and its slide in, for example, Windows Express? I can hardly see the
| darned thing!

My reply answered Zulu's question.

If you switch to "Windows Classic" view, you can change the width and
colour of your scroll bar:

Control Panel
Display
Appearance
Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->
Item: Scrollbar Size: <-larger size->
January 31, 2005 12:27:05 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:27:04 +1000, "a nonymous"

> If you switch to "Windows Classic" view, you can change the width and
>colour of your scroll bar:
>
>Control Panel
> Display
> Appearance
> Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->
> Item: Scrollbar Size: <-larger size->

Okay - maybe I am dumb. People have said so. :<)

Anyway- I AM using Classic mode - where is the place in which I can
set the scroll bar color/visibility?

Under '3D objects' I only get to choose the color. I sure do not see
anything referring to darker color or larger size. What am I missing?

Thanks
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 2:55:04 PM

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote:
| On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:27:04 +1000, "a nonymous" wrote:
| > If you switch to "Windows Classic" view, you can change the width and
| >colour of your scroll bar:
| >
| >Control Panel
| > Display
| > Appearance
| > Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->
| > Item: Scrollbar Size: <-larger size->
|
| Okay - maybe I am dumb. People have said so. :<)
|
| Anyway- I AM using Classic mode - where is the place in which I can
| set the scroll bar color/visibility?
|
| Under '3D objects' I only get to choose the color. I sure do not see
| anything referring to darker color or larger size. What am I missing?

For "Item: 3D objects",
Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
Choose a darker colour

For "Item: Scrollbar",
click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
Choose a larger size
January 31, 2005 2:55:05 PM

Good advice:::::::
Create a restore point BEFORE you have to start all over yet again...
How many times have I been down this roure?
Don't ask!

--
¦ zulu ¦

> "geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote:
> | On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:27:04 +1000, "a nonymous" wrote:
> | > If you switch to "Windows Classic" view, you can change the width and
> | >colour of your scroll bar:
> | >
> | >Control Panel
> | > Display
> | > Appearance
> | > Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->
> | > Item: Scrollbar Size: <-larger size->
> |
> | Okay - maybe I am dumb. People have said so. :<)
> |
> | Anyway- I AM using Classic mode - where is the place in which I can
> | set the scroll bar color/visibility?
> |
> | Under '3D objects' I only get to choose the color. I sure do not see
> | anything referring to darker color or larger size. What am I missing?
>

> For "Item: 3D objects",
> Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
> Choose a darker colour
>
> For "Item: Scrollbar",
> click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
> Choose a larger size

January 31, 2005 2:55:05 PM

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:55:04 +1000, "a nonymous"

> For "Item: 3D objects",
>Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
> Choose a darker colour

This made the background of selected windows the darker color. I see
no effect on the scrollbar itself.

> For "Item: Scrollbar",
>click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
> Choose a larger size

The larger size worked, but nothing else. I did notice that under
Control Panel>Display>Appearance>Advanced, that under scrollbar there
are two color boxes - color 1 and color 2. On my machine (WXP PRO),
neither shows any color, both are gray'ed out, and both do nothing.
Does this mean anything to you?

Why is this so hard anyway? Seems like such a simple thing to provide
control over. What was Gil B thinking?

Thanks
January 31, 2005 2:55:06 PM

To reply to my own post (!)
I just tried yet again...
BIG MISTAKE - IF IT WORKS, DON'T FIX IT
(Even if it IS crippled)

I changed from XP(Modified) to Classic

Control Panel
Display
Appearance
Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->

I chose a darkish blue...
Total disaster!
I couldn't read a <deleted> thing, even with the aid of my trusty 3x
magnifying glass.
(Bear in mind tht the pane is too small as well...)
At that point I panicked and restored!
Like I said...
Create a restore point BEFORE .......

AArrgggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

> Good advice:::::::
> Create a restore point BEFORE you have to start all over yet again...
> How many times have I been down this roure?
> Don't ask!
>
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
>

> "a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> | Okay - maybe I am dumb. People have said so. :<)
>> |
>> | Anyway- I AM using Classic mode - where is the place in which I can
>> | set the scroll bar color/visibility?
>> |
>> | Under '3D objects' I only get to choose the color. I sure do not see
>> | anything referring to darker color or larger size. What am I missing?
>>

>> For "Item: 3D objects",
>> Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
>> Choose a darker colour
>>
>> For "Item: Scrollbar",
>> click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
>> Choose a larger size

January 31, 2005 2:55:06 PM

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
news:D j3sv0hiabjsqss44ip4gbn5qsjur19vjp@4ax.com...
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:55:04 +1000, "a nonymous"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> For "Item: 3D objects",
>>Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
>> Choose a darker colour
>
> This made the background of selected windows the darker color. I see
> no effect on the scrollbar itself.
>

>> For "Item: Scrollbar",
>>click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
>> Choose a larger size
>>

> The larger size worked, but nothing else. I did notice that under
> Control Panel>Display>Appearance>Advanced, that under scrollbar there
> are two color boxes - color 1 and color 2. On my machine (WXP PRO),
> neither shows any color, both are gray'ed out, and both do nothing.
> Does this mean anything to you?
>
> Why is this so hard anyway? Seems like such a simple thing to provide
> control over. What was Gil B thinking?

Bloody stupid, lksn't it!
See my other post!
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:07:43 PM

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote:
| "a nonymous" wrote:
| > For "Item: 3D objects",
| >Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
| > Choose a darker colour
| This made the background of selected windows the darker color.
| I see no effect on the scrollbar itself.

What do you mean by "the background of selected windows"?
When you open that dialog box, it shows "Item: Desktop".

I told you to select "Item: 3D objects",

Look at the preview area.
In the sample "Message Box", click on the "[ OK ]" button.
This will give you "Item: 3D objects",
Change "Color 1:".
In the sample "Active Window", observe the colour of the
"up/down-arrow" buttons in the vertical scrollbar

| > For "Item: Scrollbar",
| >click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
| > Choose a larger size
| The larger size worked, but nothing else. I did notice that under
| Control Panel>Display>Appearance>Advanced, that under scrollbar there
| are two color boxes - color 1 and color 2. On my machine (WXP PRO),
| neither shows any color, both are gray'ed out, and both do nothing.
| Does this mean anything to you?

It means that you can independently adjust only the size of Scrollbars.
The colour for Scrollbars is included in "Item: 3D objects",
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 12:20:55 PM

| > "a nonymous" wrote:
| >> For "Item: 3D objects",
| >> Click on the coloured box below "Color 1:"
| >> Choose a darker colour
| >> For "Item: Scrollbar",
| >> click on the box containing numeric digits below "Size:"
| >> Choose a larger size

| "zulu" wrote:
| > Create a restore point BEFORE you have to start all over yet again...
| I just tried yet again. BIG MISTAKE - IF IT WORKS, DON'T FIX IT
| (Even if it IS crippled)
| I changed from XP(Modified) to Classic
| Control Panel
| Display
| Appearance
| Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->
| I chose a darkish blue. Total disaster!
| I couldn't read a thing, even with the aid of my 3x magnifying glass.
| (Bear in mind tht the pane is too small as well...)
| At that point I panicked and restored! Like I said.
| Create a restore point BEFORE .

Also, inspect the samples in the preview area in the Advanced dialog box.
February 1, 2005 12:20:56 PM

"a nonymous" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:o pfpSu%23BFHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> and

> see
> missing?

> | "zulu" wrote:
> | > Create a restore point BEFORE you have to start all over yet again...
> | I just tried yet again. BIG MISTAKE - IF IT WORKS, DON'T FIX IT
> | (Even if it IS crippled)
> | I changed from XP(Modified) to Classic
> | Control Panel
> | Display
> | Appearance
> | Item: 3D Objects Color 1: <-darker colour->
> | I chose a darkish blue. Total disaster!
> | I couldn't read a thing, even with the aid of my 3x magnifying glass.
> | (Bear in mind tht the pane is too small as well...)
> | At that point I panicked and restored! Like I said.
> | Create a restore point BEFORE .
>
> Also, inspect the samples in the preview area in the Advanced dialog box.

Amen to that,! .but I only wanted to change the <deleted> scrollbar, not the
who shebang.
I really don't want to revert to any of the *Classic* Themes if I can avoid
it.
February 1, 2005 3:55:54 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:44:09 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Amen to that,! .but I only wanted to change the <deleted> scrollbar, not the
>who shebang.
>I really don't want to revert to any of the *Classic* Themes if I can avoid
>it.

At this point I have become convinced that the MS programmers who
designed 'Appearance' under Display must have been drunk or otherwise
spaced out when they created this option.

The whole scenario is ridiculously confusing, to put is mildly. To
leave the scrollbar and its 'slide' practically invisible, and to
provide no way to simply change that all by itself part from all the
other display elements, is hard to accept - at least for me,

Don't MS developers ever use the scrollbar? Must not.

I give up trying to darken, or otherwise make more visible, the
scrollbar and its slide. I seem to be beating a dead horse.

Cya
February 1, 2005 6:52:51 PM

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
news:p iuuv0de2rt18s1noic4op5l4ri3jdtll7@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:44:09 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Amen to that,! .but I only wanted to change the <deleted> scrollbar, not
>>the
>>who shebang.
>>I really don't want to revert to any of the *Classic* Themes if I can
>>avoid
>>it.
>>

> At this point I have become convinced that the MS programmers who
> designed 'Appearance' under Display must have been drunk or otherwise
> spaced out when they created this option.
>
> The whole scenario is ridiculously confusing, to put is mildly. To
> leave the scrollbar and its 'slide' practically invisible, and to
> provide no way to simply change that all by itself part from all the
> other display elements, is hard to accept - at least for me,
>
> Don't MS developers ever use the scrollbar? Must not.
>
> I give up trying to darken, or otherwise make more visible, the
> scrollbar and its slide. I seem to be beating a dead horse.

Never mind, David Candy has leapt in with his usual helpful fix...
February 1, 2005 7:14:24 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:52:51 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
>news:p iuuv0de2rt18s1noic4op5l4ri3jdtll7@4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:44:09 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Amen to that,! .but I only wanted to change the <deleted> scrollbar, not
>>>the
>>>who shebang.
>>>I really don't want to revert to any of the *Classic* Themes if I can
>>>avoid
>>>it.
>>>

>> At this point I have become convinced that the MS programmers who
>> designed 'Appearance' under Display must have been drunk or otherwise
>> spaced out when they created this option.
>>
>> The whole scenario is ridiculously confusing, to put is mildly. To
>> leave the scrollbar and its 'slide' practically invisible, and to
>> provide no way to simply change that all by itself part from all the
>> other display elements, is hard to accept - at least for me,
>>
>> Don't MS developers ever use the scrollbar? Must not.
>>
>> I give up trying to darken, or otherwise make more visible, the
>> scrollbar and its slide. I seem to be beating a dead horse.
>>

>Never mind, David Candy has leapt in with his usual helpful fix...

David - this 'geezer' probably was into computers before you were even
born - 1958. Let that suffice. Just think about it.
February 1, 2005 9:48:48 PM

"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
news:p favv09t9am7kaqkosql7vauarjq5bloeo@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 15:52:51 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>

>>"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message
>>news:p iuuv0de2rt18s1noic4op5l4ri3jdtll7@4ax.com...

>>> At this point I have become convinced that the MS programmers who
>>> designed 'Appearance' under Display must have been drunk or otherwise
>>> spaced out when they created this option.
>>>
>>> The whole scenario is ridiculously confusing, to put is mildly. To
>>> leave the scrollbar and its 'slide' practically invisible, and to
>>> provide no way to simply change that all by itself part from all the
>>> other display elements, is hard to accept - at least for me,
>>>
>>> Don't MS developers ever use the scrollbar? Must not.
>>>
>>> I give up trying to darken, or otherwise make more visible, the
>>> scrollbar and its slide. I seem to be beating a dead horse.
>>>

>>Never mind, David Candy has leapt in with his usual helpful fix...
>>

> David - this 'geezer' probably was into computers before you were even
> born - 1958. Let that suffice. Just think about it.

I'm impressed, even if *he* isn;t... :-)

I do remember being the proud owner of g a 48k Sinclair Spectrum, (whenever
_tyhat_ was <g)> I gingerly took it apart to put it in a *proper* keyboard,
much to my wifes horror!
<You'll never get it working again...>
There were 3 of usat work (out of over 100 people) that had them!
I still have it, along with a drawer full of tapes!

Keep smiling...

--
¦ zulu ¦
February 1, 2005 11:12:00 PM

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 18:48:48 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I'm impressed, even if *he* isn;t... :-)
>
>I do remember being the proud owner of g a 48k Sinclair Spectrum, (whenever
>_tyhat_ was <g)> I gingerly took it apart to put it in a *proper* keyboard,
>much to my wifes horror!
><You'll never get it working again...>
>There were 3 of usat work (out of over 100 people) that had them!
>I still have it, along with a drawer full of tapes!
>
>Keep smiling...

In world of personal computers, I started with the Trash 80 (ugh!) and
quickly gravitated to the various Apples. Was programming all main
frames before then. I don't think I'll ever forget having to watch
and synchronize the blinking asterisk on the TRS80. I/O was via a
tape recorder. No HDD. No FDD. Those were the days!

God Bless.....
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 3:13:02 AM

It's only that you are an idiot.

http://www.uscricket.com
"geezer" <wee@willy.com> wrote in message news:p iuuv0de2rt18s1noic4op5l4ri3jdtll7@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 08:44:09 GMT, "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Amen to that,! .but I only wanted to change the <deleted> scrollbar, not the
>>who shebang.
>>I really don't want to revert to any of the *Classic* Themes if I can avoid
>>it.
>>

> At this point I have become convinced that the MS programmers who
> designed 'Appearance' under Display must have been drunk or otherwise
> spaced out when they created this option.
>
> The whole scenario is ridiculously confusing, to put is mildly. To
> leave the scrollbar and its 'slide' practically invisible, and to
> provide no way to simply change that all by itself part from all the
> other display elements, is hard to accept - at least for me,
>
> Don't MS developers ever use the scrollbar? Must not.
>
> I give up trying to darken, or otherwise make more visible, the
> scrollbar and its slide. I seem to be beating a dead horse.
>

> Cya
February 2, 2005 3:13:03 AM

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 00:13:02 +1100, "David Candy" <.> wrote:

>It's only that you are an idiot.

Thanks, I needed that!

Bye
February 2, 2005 3:13:03 AM

It seems it was a bad mistake clearing my killfile out... :-(

What did *Geezer* do to deserve being called an idiot?

WHILST I WOULD'N'T WISH IT ON MY WORST ENEMY, I WOULD LOVE TO WATCH YOU
COPE WITH EYES LIKE *GEEZER*'S AND MINE WHEN YOU ARE NOT ONLY DESPERATELY
TRYING TO FINDD OUT *HOW,* BUT STRUGGLE LIKE <DELETED> TO EVEN READ THE
REPLIES, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE AS RUDE AND UNPRODUCTIVE AS YOURS.
GO AND FIND SOMETHIN USEFUL TO DO, I SUGGEST YOU COULD MAKE A START BY
GROWING UP.
YOU CERTAINLY HAVEN'T GOT A HOPE IN HELLOF BEING MADE A *MVP* UNTIL YOU DO!

--
¦ zulu ¦

!